Sunday, July 1, 2012

{3 weeks}

* I thought James was starting his growth spurt on Wednesday, but now I think it's actually today. He did eat more frequently on Wednesday and Thursday, but he slept great those nights. However, last night I only slept 2.5 hours because he was so wide awake and often fussy/ wanting to eat. Today he has continued to eat like he's starving. Every time I try to lay down for a nap he wakes up hungry. I am so exhausted I cried after my last failed nap...

* Speaking of sleep, it's probably been a harder adjustment because I had gotten a little spoiled. For the last few nights he was going 4 hour stretches and I had to wake him up to eat! I was reading various books to see if I could start letting him go 5 hours, but then he served me humble pie with last night's all-nighter. :)

* Thanks to the relatively decent sleep we were getting, I started feeling like this whole mom thing might actually be do able. I loosely started doing an eat-activity-sleep routine and it was so exciting to see some predictability on the horizon! Not feeling as hopeful today, but I know today's just a tough day.

* James lost his cord stump on his 17th day of life, which then led to his first "real" bath in an infant tub. He didn't like it too much but hopefully as he gets used to it he will!

* It's funny how many "classic" new parent moments we have had - these things must really be universal! We have been peed on, spit up on, and I have gotten poop on me. This week I left James for the first time for about 1.5 hours while I went to a little get together. I fed him and tried to race out the door right after (the feeding clock is ticking!), but just before I left James spit up AND sneezed at the same time, which resulted in a spit up sprayed husband and a freaked out baby. (I still left a few minutes later, but it was hard to leave them like that)

* I want to introduce a bottle soon (our pedi said 3-6 weeks) but I'm really unsure about pumping and how to make it all work. I need to read more about that, but it feels overwhelming right now.

* Oh, I almost forgot that J got his tongue clipped on Monday. My husband held him during the procedure, and we were shocked that he only screamed for maybe 10 seconds and then immediately fell ASLEEP. I was supposed to nurse him right afterwards, but we actually had a hard time waking him up! (he was only given a topical anesthetic, btw). We are thankful that went smoothly! I do think he latch/ suck has improved, and we have had some successful nursing sessions without the nipple shield. I'm trying to wean him off of it but not stressing about it.

* J has been incredibly alert this week for more/ longer stretches. It is so cute and sweet how he just stares at me, and seems to like it when I talk to him or even sing (despite my terrible singing voice).

A place he does like to sleep - the car!

12 comments:

Meg said...

I love seeing how he's changing already. I wish I could snuggle him and smell that baby smell!

Melis.sa said...

He looks so sweet!

:) I think the first night home from the hospital E pooped all over the changing pad/herself/her onesie & my Dh. ANd it was at like 4am. I still laugh about that now :)

KC said...

Another adorable picture, you have a great subject but also a good eye. I find that everytime I think I have the knack of this mommy thing my boys throw me a curve ball......lol. Their needs seem to constantly change and I and just when I hit my groove they are on to the next thing. I guess it just keeps us on our toes!

Tami said...

It does get better!!!! You will sleep again. The first couple of months are hard. But I know it doesn't help now when sleep is so precious, but you will sleep again. :) he is so precious!!!

Tami said...

It does get better! He will become new predictable, and you will sleep again!! I know it doesn't help when you are so tired but it gets better. He is so precious! Having a little boy is so much fun!! :)

Carrie said...

Love those pouty lips!! Does his hair have a bit of a red tint to it? He is just the cutest little guy!!! My baby boy is 5 months old and the only advice I would like to give you is to NOT STRESS about anything. Just trust your mommy instincts and James' cues on things and everything will work out just fine. I purposely did not read a ton of "how to" books on babies just because I knew I would get stressed and overwhelmed....I just deal with things as they come along. I must say, you seem like you have been very relaxed...just keep it up, you're doing great!

Abi said...

Pumping gets easier! Pumping a lot of milk now, while your supply is huge, and freezing it is super helpful later.

Julia said...

Not sure if you've already figured this out, but a great time to pump while you're just getting started is in the morning. Typically supply is at it's peak then. :) Good luck! He's super cute!!

Leah said...

I love these posts, and I know you will always treasure being able to look back at them. I still read the posts from when my daughter was a newborn, and she'll be 2 in 4 days. It goes so fast!

Hope sleep gets better. Sleep deprivation is one of the worst things in the world. Thinking of you. :)

andreajennine said...

He's so smooshably cute! For his baths, try warmer water. Babies don't tend to like tepid baths any more than we do. Make it a temp you'd want to bathe in, and he'll probably enjoy it. That's what has worked for us!

Jessica R said...

You're doing GREAT!! This season is just survival mode, so just keep putting one foot in front of the other and it will be gone and over with forever, before you know it.

I was terrified of the pump but I gave dd her first bottle of hand-expressed at 2 weeks and started pumping at 3, and it went fine. The more you pump now the better supply you'll have for the long haul, so stock up on freezer milk bags (I never pumped into them though, because they spill and you will cry... I pump into bottles and then pour).

Also. The KEY to our survival in those early days was a dream feed. So much easier to dream feed a sleeping baby than to wake him to eat. Pump, stick a bottle in his mouth when he's still asleep, and then go back to sleep yourself. We did a dream feed every night for dd when we went to bed, and that essentially doubled that stretch of sleep for her because she slept right through when she would have woken to eat. So if you're exhausted (hugs!!), I'd give that a try!

Vicki said...

Love seeing your updates!
Even if the eat-play-sleep isn't predictable now, keep at it. I loved that combo and I think it's what helped our daughter start sleeping through the night (9-6) at 6 weeks.
Also with pumping - for sure store up any extra you have now. I didn't start doing that till later and wished I had. I still had a good freezer stock even when my supply ran out but I would have had even more if I'd have pumped sooner. My best time was after she fed in the morning. I'd pump what was left after she ate since that's when I was the fullest. And ditto on using the bottles to pump and then pour it into bags. So much easier.