Monday, June 4, 2012

38 week OB appointment

I just got home from my OB appointment and am thankful to report another uneventful one. (I didn't even write about the 37 week one because it was only a few days ago, I didn't see the doctor, and there was nothing to even say about it). I would rather have uneventful than discover anything concerning, so I am trying to be thankful and patient! I'm measuring at 36 weeks now that he's dropped (I was always exactly on track until he did), and his heart rate was in the normal range. I did get a brief ultrasound, but he wasn't facing out and my doctor wouldn't guess his size, so even that was uneventful.

My OB doesn't do cervical checks - at least not yet. This is probably a good thing because I really do think it would make me crazy thinking I was either going to go into labor soon or discouraged that I wouldn't....even though from what I have read the state of your cervix does not indicate much in terms of when labor will actually happen. That said, I felt a little sad leaving the appointment today because I got the sense that my doctor doesn't think it will happen any time soon, and she made a point to tell me to schedule my next two appointments (which I actually already had scheduled). I think deep down I was hoping for some info at my appointment today pointing to labor, although I don't even know what that would be. But instead I left feeling like I should get comfortable for the long haul here. I feel silly even writing this because I am not even that close to my due date, there's no way to know when labor will start, etc, etc, etc... but I'm just a little blue about it right now.

Yesterday morning I woke up at about 5:30am experiencing cramping in my lower abdomen. I have had a teensy bit of mild cramping off and on in general (very minor - like a 2 on the pain scale, and some days none at all), but this was enough to wake me up. I laid there wondering...could this be the start of labor?? I stayed awake and did feel some strong tightening of my belly come and go in waves, but it was not consistent and there was no more pain. So I went back to sleep, and nothing else happened. I guess these are just the experiences of my body getting ready for labor, but my body sure does try to trick me! :)

A few of you have asked if I will post when I do go into labor, and I will! Thankfully I can post from my phone so I can at least give you a quick head's up that we're at the hospital, and also announce his arrival.

10 comments:

Mellow said...

Praying for you that all goes well! When Marlo woke me early this morning for some cuddles, you came to my mind so I said a prayer that things will be uneventful and you will hold your sweet son in your arms so very soon. :) One day at a time.

Meg said...

I'm checking daily now to see if you're at the hospital. So excited with you!

Debbie said...

I have been following you for so long. I am anxiously awaiting news - but - I hate to tell you that I was induced with my first at 42 weeks! It sounds like your OB won't let you go that long, but I understand your impatience. It was "any day now" for four. long. weeks. Sometimes, not knowing is better. He will be in your arms soon enough. I'm praying for you and your sweet boy!

Carrie said...

These last few days/weeks are the hardest!!! You know he would be totally fine if he came now, but the fact that it could be longer is just so agonizing sometimes. The one thing that made ME feel better was reading an article that said babies should stay in the womb until AT LEAST 39 weeks. I considered asking my doctor to up my c-section date, but my husband said I was only being selfish and actually, he was right. Then I read that article and I just felt like that was a sign to relax and just let him come on his own or go to the original c-section date which was a few days shy of 40 weeks....we made it to the c-section date. Think of it this way...your body has grown and taken care of this baby boy....it's not done yet. Hang in there!!!

Jamie said...

Don't worry. Labor can happen spontaneously at any time. No matter how hard we try to figure out when it will happen, no one knows! My water spontaneously broke at work (don't worry - it didn't cause a mess) on the day I turned 38 weeks. It was easy because I didn't have to time contractions or anything. I just knew to go on to the hospital! And it was my first child too. Good luck to you!

Daniele said...

I've never commented before, but found your blog a few weeks ago and have read the whole thing...Congratulations! And the real reason I wanted to post was to say I felt the SAME WAY. The wait is soooo TEDIOUS. After the full term mark I just wanted to meet my little baby. Though I knew my cervix wasn't an indicator, I was always dissappointed when I hadn't dialated a little more. I know this is cliche, but I wanted to encourag eyou to enjoy these last few days/weeks of pregnancy. Cook some good freezer meals, take some naps, go out for lunch and let people treat you like royalty. Enjoy this precious time that you have him all wrapped up in your body.

Vicki said...

It's hard to be patient but hang in there! When I started having checks, I didn't dilate much and once induction was scheduled, I just resigned myself to the fact that I would be induced. My last check at 39w3d was 2cm and 70% and my doctor said I'll see you at induction. Lo and behold, 3 days before induction, the contractions started - and I knew they were the real thing without a doubt - and within 24 hours I had my baby girl in my arms. I know everybody has different experiences but you never know what God has in store!

Melissa G said...

It's kind of a good thing your doc doesn't do Cervical checks at this point. Less intervention down there, means less risk of infection. That's not to say that *quality time* with hubby is discouraged. :) And may help move things along. Also, Cervical Checks are MIGHTY uncomfortable at this point, the fewer the better!

I totally understand your impatience, and I am so excited for you. And VERY happy to hear you will post when you're in labor! So close now!

Shanny said...

Exciting time!!!
Our bodies do like to trick us but when the time comes you will know for sure. praying!!!!

The Swann's said...

You know... The same way he got in the same way helps get him out. :-)

No worries about publishing that comment. Just passing on what got me from braxton hicks to full on labor at 38 weeks within 6 hours. :-)

Looking forward to the BIG announcement!!!