Friday, April 20, 2012

Update: Home and all seems well!

Thank you so much for all of your prayers and well wishes! I am feeling much better emotionally after talking to my doctor this morning, and it is also wonderful to be home lounging on our sofa.

My doctor said the contractions decreased over the night and were almost non-existent by the time she saw me. Now I am just having the normal, sporadic third trimester ones I think. She reiterated that the negative FFN test was great news, and when she did the cervical check she thought it was a little soft but that it was high and closed, so she wasn't concerned. She also pointed out that my cervix may be softer because of the cysts I had had on it in the first trimester (not sure if I still do?!). Overall I got the impression that she thought the nurse who checked me last night was overly cautious....which made for a scary night but I would rather err on the side of caution.

My doctor did say I had contracted a lot and she thinks I was dehydrated. However, when I got to the hospital I gave a urine sample and the nurse specifically said I wasn't dehydrated based on that. I try really, really hard to drink a lot of water (and my doctor is really into lots of fluids and stresses it every appointment), but yesterday probably wasn't my best day of fluid intake. But I also don't really think I was dehydrated, so who knows. Anyway, she prescribed something that I can take if I start having more than four contractions an hour again that calms the uterus for some women (one of you mentioned a drug but I haven't even looked at it yet to know it's the same one!). I am also on bedrest for the rest of the weekend until my already scheduled appointment on Monday, and my husband has become the water police monitoring how much I drink. :)

Thank you for sharing your own stories of having some pre-term labor signs but still making it a few more weeks and/ or full term. Last night at my low point I started hoping I could just make it two more weeks to 34 weeks, and counted toward full term in 2 week increments from there. This afternoon I feel like it is still a likely possibility that I could go full term, Lord willing, and even laughed about how ironic it would be to go past my due date.

My original birthday plan was to get a mani/ pedi, a free car wash, eat a donut, and go out to dinner with a small group of friends. After dinner my husband and I had reservations at a local hotel for a one night "staycation" thanks to a gift card we had gotten for Christmas. The hotel has a roof top pool and hot tub, so we had invited friends to join us up there to hang out. I was pretty excited for my day, but after some initial disappointment over canceling all of that I am feeling quite happy laying around on the couch and being thankful for our son. A couple friends are going to come by for dinner tonight and I think we'll get take-out, and my husband got me a beautiful cake stand and filled it with the cutest cupcakes as a gift. It's still a special - and certainly memorable - birthday.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad things are okay!!! And Happy Birthday :)

Lory said...

So glad you're home and baby boy is staying put. Praying he stays put as long as possible.
Happy Birthday!!

Samantha said...

Glad you're okay! I had near constant contractions and was diagnosed with an "irritable uterus" and managed to get to 37 weeks with twins. I hope your little guy stays put a while longer.

Happy birthday.

Sarah B said...

Awww, happy birthday! Glad you're finding a balance in what you need to do for baby and also honoring and enjoying your day - it's a great mommy skill to have. I know I was all about self-sacrifice during my pregnancy; not really the most constructive way to be given it was my only pregnancy (and the last time in my life for awhile I could focus on me). Hope you have a great day!

Sarah B said...

And p.s. - Phew!!! Glad to hear all seems to be well.

Carrie said...

Soooooo glad you are home and resting!!!! Just take it one day at a time. Each day he stays in is a huge blessing, so instead of counting weeks, count days....and before you know it, a week will go by, then another, etc...! I'm sorry your birthday didn't go as planned, but it sounds like your sweet hubby and friends will be taking good care of you. Have a restful weekend and I can't wait to hear how your appt. goes on Monday!

:- ) said...

So glad everything is ok! Just keep trusting the Lord and all will be well!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for a homecoming (with baby in the belly)! With 2 preterm labors (and contractions every 8 minutes with my first one) I agree that the FfN negative is a great sign! I was also given betamethazone injections to strengthen lung development for the baby if they DID happen to come early (both of mine settled down, and with bedrest I made it to full term 40 weeks with them). Best to you!

Erin Caballero said...

I had a very similar experience at 33 weeks with my second child. I stayed two nights in the hospital and was put on bedrest until my c-section at 37 weeks, 5 days! I didn't have any other "contraction episodes" after that! Just relax and do nice things for yourself!

Kristen K. said...

My twins are due on 6/15 and I've been on bedrest for 11 weeks now. Never thought I would make it this far, but bedrest can really do wonders! You are doing what your baby and your body need right now! I have never been more scared than when my contractions started 11 weeks ago. Hang in there!

Katie & Ramon said...

Hi Hillary, I've commented before on your blog, but wanted to share my stories of early L&D trips. I ended up in L&D twice before my son was born... once at 24 weeks (for belly button pain that they initially thought was abrupted placenta - scary!!) and again on Christmas Eve at 37 weeks for false labor. When i was there at 24 weeks i was SO scared but was thankful when they ruled out abrupted placenta, but still bummed they didn't know what was the cause of my pain. I eventually had to wait it out and it gradually decreased and went away. I had BH contrax for the last 3 months of my pregnancy, so I know what you are feeling. My little man ended up being being born at 40 weeks 2 days @ 7lbs 10oz. I"m sure you'll be fine, just take it easy and keep hydrated. Best of luck to you!!