Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A celebration

When I first shared with one of my close friends that I was pregnant early in the first trimester, she immediately wanted to host a small gathering to thank God and praise him for this miracle. And while I was so very, very thankful, the timing of this celebration felt a little off since I was still so early in my pregnancy and not ready to share the news with many more people. As my first trimester drew to a close, one of my closest friends suffered a miscarriage and the timing again simply did not feel right.

This past Saturday that sweet celebration occurred. We called it a "celebration" and not a "shower" because I had already had an amazing shower back in October, did not want people to have to buy more gifts, and did not want that to be the focus. So we kept it to a small group of women who had walked closely with me throughout my infertility journey - invited 9 and 7 were able to attend - and specified no gifts (although they did go against my wishes and contributed towards a mani/ pedi gift certificate...).

It was a sweet, sweet time. I know I was supposed to be on "bedrest," but I promise this was the ONLY thing I did for 3 days and I lounged while there. I just didn't want to miss this special time planned! We feasted on an amazing potluck brunch, and had a delightful time just being together. The hostesses then brought out cards with Psalm 139 printed on them, and we prayed together through each section - thanking God, praising God, and asking for his blessing in the life of my son. I cried as I prayed, and I don't really think there was a dry eye in the room. I cannot thank God enough. 

That was our morning - simple and sweet - and I loved it. I am blessed with wonderful friends. Here are some pictures of the event - my friends really know how to set a table, don't they?! :)






Psalm 139

For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
 1 You have searched me, LORD,
   and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
   you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
   you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
   you, LORD, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
   and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
   too lofty for me to attain.
 7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
   Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
   if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
   if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
   your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
   and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
   the night will shine like the day,
   for darkness is as light to you.
 13 For you created my inmost being;
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
   when I was made in the secret place,
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
   all the days ordained for me were written in your book
   before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
   How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
   they would outnumber the grains of sand—
   when I awake, I am still with you.
 19 If only you, God, would slay the wicked!
   Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
20 They speak of you with evil intent;
   your adversaries misuse your name.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, LORD,
   and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
   I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
   test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
   and lead me in the way everlasting.

5 comments:

Rach said...

What a wonderful gathering! Love this.

Meg said...

Oh! I wish I could have flown out there to celebrate with you!

Life Happens said...

What a special celebration! Your faith has been incredible through the whole journey and you are very blessed because of it. Congrats!

Mellow said...

Love this~ Congratulations again! :)

The Swann's said...

Tears well in my eyes as I am brought back to the miracle of carrying our Little Miss... The miracle that God allowed me to experience first hand within my body. I am so thankful that God has allowed you to experience the same and even more so that you have such an amazing group of women who have walked the journey and you are able to be a reminder that prayer works and God has not forgotten any one of us despite what we may think given our circumstances. I'm so very thankful for your story as it continues to touch my heart in more ways than infertility alone ever could! Many prayers for you as you embark on the next journey, delivery and parenthood! I'm so overwhelmed with joy for you and DH!!