Tuesday, February 14, 2012

On names

I think we have chosen the name for our son!

However, the process to deciding on that name was much more complicated than I had expected. You see, when my husband and I were newly married (or maybe even engaged or dating - I can't remember) we talked about possible baby names. I said names I liked and he agreed - perfect! So easy! Clearly we were a good match. :)

Then we started the adoption process, and the names became more concrete rather than an abstract list. And along with that came the reality that my husband did not like nearly ANY of my girl names, nor did he have many suggestions for ones HE liked. We were stuck, but I hoped that as he sat with some of the names he would warm up to them. My boys list, on the other hand, was much shorter and he liked nearly all of them.

Then I got pregnant, and the concept of naming a baby that actually existed took our name conversations into even more - and often more frustrating - directions. Even the boys names felt shaky, and I really had no idea what we would do if this baby were a girl!

Amazingly, when we found out he is a boy the name seemed to just fall into place. And, really, how could we have considered anything else?

But who would have thought it could have been so difficult to agree on a name when it looked so easy from the dating/ engaged/ newly married days. Kind of like trying to conceive, ha!

(I know it is a little mean of me to write all of that and not tell you the name, but I want to keep something a surprise :)

8 comments:

Betty Rubble said...

I'm going to guess it's something biblical as Isaac Jacob's is. It's fitting, when you've waited so long ot keep something secret-because you're right it is so special!

Leah said...

We kept the name a surprise too. I figured we were being nice by telling people the gender, they could at least wait on the name. :) We had many boy names we both loved. Girls was so much more difficult! In fact, we didn't finally decide on S until about a week before her birth. It is amazing though that no matter what you name your child, they will grow into that name.

Carrie said...

Can't wait to find out what his name will be! We had talked baby names for years before and when it was finally time to actually name our baby, it did make me a little nervous. We wanted something special that would honor our families and something that had meaning behind it. We decided on Pearce Matthew. Pearce was my maiden name and Matthew was my husband's brother's name who passed away. We had always liked that name and when we found out we were expecting a boy, it really did just fit. I'm so excited for you!!

Jem said...

Wow! We've come up with 4 we like. I guess we're waiting until we see her to make a final decision.

Keep it a surprise!

RMCarter said...

Can't wait to hear it! :)

andreajennine said...

We're keeping the name for a surprise, too. Isn't it funny how the naming process goes much differently in reality than it does in your head? I love talking about names in the theoretical sense, but I ended up hating hearing others' opinions about our name options during pregnancy. I still have a favorite girl's name that my husband can't stand, but we've got a name we both love for this girl!

Rachel DeBell said...

ugh...yes that is so mean! JK, I don't blame you at all, and it gives all of us something to look forward to hearing come June! We are still no further in our process of figuring out names, especially since we have to come up with both gender options. But even if we knew if Baby was a He or she, I still don't think we'd have a decision. I am hoping maybe an angel will appear and tell us what to name our baby! haha!

Debbie said...

My husband and I could only ever agree on one boys name. Thankfully, we only had one son! Also, I think it is a good idea to keep the name to yourself. SO many people will give you their unsolicited opinion of the name you chose. When you introduce your son, people will just have to accept the name - there will be no talking you out of it. How exciting for you!