Monday, February 6, 2012

And the baby leaped in his mother's womb...

One thing that has been amazing during this pregnancy is just how many people's miracle this is. Of course, this is probably one of the biggest miracles my husband and I will ever experience other than the miracle of our salvation, but this pregnancy has been a huge miracle to so many others, too. Our family, our church family, our friends, and even many blog readers (thank you for your sweet comments) have expressed such joy and wonder at seeing how God has worked and created this life.

Yesterday at church my husband and I were near the front of the sanctuary during communion so people could come up and receive prayer, which we do about every 6 weeks or so. A woman who also does prayer from time to time came up to us, and she is one that we have gone to for prayer over the years as we waited on God to give us a family, but she is not in my immediate circle of friends. As she approached, she told us she had recently heard about our miracle, and that she has been joyfully thanking and praising God ever since. She told us she wanted to pray for our little one (even though we were technically the pray-ers that day :), and began to pray.

I have to say that this woman is one that I look up to tremendously as a woman of God who is close to his heart in prayer and scripture. As she prayed, she quoted so much scripture of praise to God, of his ability to create, and of his gracious love for us that I was overwhelmed and began to cry (and she was already crying). She then placed her hand on my belly and prayed for our son beautiful, God-glorifying prayers that he would know the love of God and be a blessing to others in his life. The words just flowed from her mouth and I felt awe-struck at the gift of our son all over again.

While she prayed, I even felt our boy move, and I was reminded of this scripture:

39 In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah, 40 and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, 42 and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 And blessed is she who believed that there would be[g] a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”  Luke 1:39-45

I know I am not carrying the savior of the world, but I certainly do feel blessed among women! :)

I wish I had been able to record her prayer for myself AND for our son to hear from time to time down the road, but I already cannot remember many specifics. But I am cherishing that time of prayer in my heart and praising God with renewed awe at this miracle all over again. I am also so thankful for a church-family that feels like they are a part of this miracle with us, because SO MANY people had prayed for us. And what a gift it is that they will also be walking along side us as we raise our boy!

7 comments:

Meg said...

The tears are just flowing . . .

Life Happens said...

When I was pregnant with Matthew, after years of trying, I felt like not only were we blessed with this little miracle, but that there were SO many people who were also going to be blessed (due to their diligent prayers for us).

Have a support church family is the greatest!

Silliest Bunny said...

How wonderful.

As a Catholic, I cherish the scripture you quoted. It is the basis for our Hail, Mary prayer.
In case you haven't ever read the words:

Hail Mary,full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Most Christians who aren't Catholic don't understand our devotion to Mary (and no, we don't "pray" to her... we ask her to pray for us while she hangs out in heaven.). But I just think she's fabulous.. she carried our Savior in her womb.... and she had such great faith to believe the angels and take on this sacred task.

I wanted to share it since it has brought me much comfort and warmth as a mother.

Silliest Bunny said...

How wonderful.

That particular scripture is so close to my heart. It's the scripture that the Catholic prayer, Hail Mary, comes from.

In case you've never read it:

Hail Mary,full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

This prayer has brought me such comfort as an overwhelmed mother. Christians who aren't Catholic don't always understand the "Mary thing". (FWIW.... we don't pray to her or worship her... we ask her for intercessions... we basically as her to pray for us from her heavenly seat). Anyway, Mary is such a role model for us as moms. The faith she had is unparelleled. The journey she lived is one of a kind.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Grace said...

Awww this is so amazing. I'm so glad all is going well with you and the little one Hillary.
When I was pregnant, so many people were praying for our little boy and now that he's just turned one, he's such a wonder and I know he's favoured.
Take care.

Grace said...

Awww this is so amazing. I'm so glad all is going well with you and the little one Hillary.
When I was pregnant, so many people were praying for our little boy and now that he's just turned one, he's such a wonder and I know he's favoured.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you. I really am but I would also be happy for you if you were poor, unmarried, divorced, unemployed, without a supportive network; in other words if you were being pressured to place your baby for adoption. Feel the bond? Isn't that wonderful? I just hope that in years to come, when you come across a pregnant woman in the situation I described above you will have the empathy to encourage her to keep her baby (assuming of course she wants to and the vast, vast majority of placing mothers do- they just lack the support you described). Even if you are starting to think your son would like a little brother or sister, even if you have a friend who wants to adopt..... remember how you felt in church and offer support to that woman to keep her child with her. I think it's a very safe bet that's what Jesus would do, for her and if you needed it, for you. Good luck! Clare