Monday, January 9, 2012

Pregnancy dreams & gender guesses

I have read that pregnancy dreams are a very common pregnancy symptom, but until last week I had had none.

However, very early on my husband starting dreaming about the baby - ha! His first dream was when I was around 8 weeks pregnant (and shortly after Halloween, which you will see is relevant). He dreamed that our baby had already been born, and was a Kit Kat bar!! Haha! In the dream our baby "Kit Kat" was in a bowl of candy mixed with other candies. My husband was eating candy from the bowl and although he knew which one was our baby, he was incredibly paranoid that he would accidentally eat our baby. This is my favorite of all of our pregnancy dreams so far!

His second dream was much more simple and realistic. He dreamed that I have birth to a baby GIRL and that she was the cutest baby he had ever seen. :) He actually woke me up during the night to tell me about his dream and that he woke up from it feeling incredibly happy. Aw! :)

I finally had my first pregnancy dream last week just before my routine OB appointment. In the dream I ended up having a simple ultrasound, but my doctor was able to tell the gender of the baby and told me it was a BOY! She said I had to wait until the anatomy scan to verify this, but that was what she thought she saw. Of course this made me hope I would get an ultrasound at my last appointment, but alas it was just a doppler check.

Last night I had another dream about finding out the gender (can you tell what I am thinking about these days, haha!). This time I was back at my OB's office (although our actual anatomy scan is with a perinatologist - all doctors in our area send pregnant women to this doctor for the anatomy scan), but some random ultrasound tech guy was going to do the ultrasound. He started, but he was clearly inexperienced and awkward about it. I got impatient and finally asked if the baby was a boy or girl, and he replied, "Hmm...I would say you have a 50/50 chance of it being either one. I can't really tell." What!? I got so frustrated in my dream. Then my OB came in and I told her the ultrasound tech was incompetent (which I am sure I could never do in real life!), and she said she would take over. However, she started doing the ultrasound but was acting really goofy and unprofessional, and I continued to get more and more frustrated! I never did get an answer to the gender question in that dream.

Since my husband had the "girl" dream pretty early on and the baby's heart beat was high, we have both been thinking this baby is a girl (obviously those are not very scientific reasons!). However, as we get closer to actually finding out I am definitely not feeling like I am confident in this guess. I have been day dreaming about having a boy this week so that I am not "set" on the idea of a girl... and I know I will be happy either way on Thursday when we find out! (And so far, based on the poll on the right you guys don't really know either - it is almost 50/50 with "boy" slightly in the lead by 3 guesses :))

11 comments:

Carrie said...

That is the SWEETEST thing that your husband woke you up to tell you about his baby girl dream!!! Before our anatomy scan, I had a dream that I gave birth to 3 bunnies! We were in the hospital room and everyone was coming in to see them. In my dream I thought to myself, "Gosh, it would have been easier to just go to the pet store." Ha! Just wait...your dreams will get crazy and very vivid. Thursday, hurry up and get here!!

Whitbit said...

I say GIRL! I dreamed I was at an ultrasound and they told me girl. Also, her heart rate has always been on the high end- that theory was always right for all my mom's kids as well. I read somewhere that women's heart rates are naturally faster than men's so it would make sense the theory is true more often than not.

Mimi said...

I'm so excited for you! We found out Thursday, we are having a GIRL! I was shocked, I thought boy all along! Good luck, can't wait!

Mandy said...

Haha, I love both of those dreams!

I knew pretty much as soon as the pregnancy test came up positive with both my daughter and my son, but this 3rd pregnancy has me stumped. I went in last week for my NT scan (I was 13w 4d at the time) and while it's super early, she said that she's really leaning toward boy. For some reason that just doesn't seem right to me, so I'm still on the fence!

jeanna said...

Can't wait to find out the gender with you!! I have never cared about the gender as healthy was always my goal! (I know you are with me on this!) Good Luck at the U/S and I will be praying that the drs and u/s teck will do their job properly! haha! Good Luck!

Secret Sloper said...

My little boy had a heartrate right around your bean's at each of his check ups (any where from high 140s to 170s when he was 9 weeks), so I don't put much faith in the heart rate thing. But I do trust mama's intuition-- I knew deep down that he was a boy the whole time. So trust your gut!

Anonymous said...

You could try IntelliGender. It is available at most drug stores. I have had a few friends use it and it was accurate for them :) Can't wait to hear.
http://www.intelligender.com

Betty Rubble said...

Isaac's heart beat was always in the 130's BUT wivestale morning sickness for his birth mother and the way she carried him would have pushed for GIRL...so based only heartbeat I'm going to say girl too.

Stephanie said...

Love those dreams! Too funny!!

I'm going with Girl because 2012 seems to be the year of the girl in my circle, its a really a bit out of hand!

Also, old wives tales say if you dream of one, you get the other so since you dreamed about boy it would end up girl ;)

And finally, we aren't finding out the sex of our little one due 2/29 but I have dreams about finding out sex and never find out either - so frustrating!! I recently had one where my husband and I were changing the baby's diaper and when we opened it we would find out if it was a boy or girl! Ha! Sadly, I woke up right before we opened the diaper.

Can't wait to hear your good news either way though!! :)

Stefanie Blakely said...

Both of my boys had very fast heart rates... you never know! Can't wait to find out!

Carrie said...

Today's the big day!!!! Can't wait to hear!