Monday, January 16, 2012

Anatomy scan details and photos!

I didn't sleep too well the night before our anatomy scan, probably because I was so excited and nervous. Excited to see our baby, to find out if he or she was healthy, and to hopefully find out if we were having a son or daughter. However, I was also nervous. Although I had been feeling some movement, the movements were infrequent and still left room for me to doubt. What if we got to the ultrasound and the baby had died? This would also be the first opportunity to find out about the health and development of the baby, since we had opted not to do the NT scan. But in the midst of those fears, I knew without a doubt that this was the baby God had given to us, and we would cherish him or her no matter the health or developmental concerns. But it was still nerve wracking to not know what the day would hold!

As soon as the ultrasound began, my first fear that the baby was no longer living was to put ease as we saw movement and the ultrasound tech began taking measurements. She started with the brain, and said everything looked normal. The heart...the kidneys....the legs...as she moved through each body part my heart swelled with thankfulness and profound joy to see all is healthy so far with our little one. It was so cute, too, because the baby was laying with one arm behind his head like he was relaxing. :) The tears of joy began to flow as I silently watched the screen and tightly squeezed my husband's hand.

About halfway into the appointment she moved to measure the legs - which of course gave us a view of what may or may not be between those legs. Before she could even ask if we wanted to know the gender, I saw what looked like a pe.nis and thought, "It's a boy!" However, I second guessed myself and wondered if that could actually be the umbilical cord? (picture #2 below) Pretty soon after that the tech did ask if we wanted to know the sex, and when we answered yes she pointed to what I had thought was the boy part and announced it was a boy.

I had been SO excited to find out the gender, but in that moment it felt rather insignificant. I was simply happy beyond belief to see a healthy little one. But as she continued with the measurements and pointing out different body parts, I kept saying in my mind, "A boy!" and "A son!" and it began to sink in more. It really would not have mattered either way what sex the baby had been, but the reality that this was our baby, our boy, our son began to take shape and filled me with incredible joy. The tears flowed even more freely.

I was walking on cloud nine the rest of the day. I didn't know one could be that happy for that many hours in a row. :) We called family and texted a few friends and shared our special news. Most people were kind of shocked because everyone expected a girl.

That night before getting ready for bed my husband and I laid facing each other on the bed dreaming about life with a son. It was such a sweet time together that I will cherish always.

We are humbled and thankful for the miracle and gift that is our son!

****

Here are the ultrasound pictures from our anatomy scan on Thursday at 17 weeks 6 days. I have to admit that I don't think I can tell much difference between one person's ultrasound photo or another - even my own! - but it was still so amazing and special to see our baby. But it is totally fine if these are not amazing to you, haha!


This was one of the first shots - it is a "skeleton" view of his face. It's a little freaky :)

How we found out it's a boy! There's a little arrow pointing to the boy part.

Later in the ultrasound, we got a much clearer and obvious view of his pe.nis (again there is a little arrow pointing to it). The tech said he certainly isn't shy, and I admit I think this picture is pretty funny! My husband thinks it is almost too inappropriate to post on the internet, haha!

His precious little foot.

His sweet little hand waving at us. The white blob in front is the placenta blocking his face, so unfortunately we did not get a clear shot of his face.

And, last but not least, my favorite one - his profile.

12 comments:

kim said...

awwwww yaya! i guessed it was a boy :)

Rach said...

What a lovely post! Love that last picture too. Just precious.

Carrie said...

LOVE the profile pic! This post took me right back to our anatomy scan. It just made everything so much more real to me. The baby actually looks like a real baby and you can finally quit calling baby "it"...if you choose to find out the gender. I am just so happy for you!!! Do you have names in mind already? Do you plan on sharing the name? Just curious :) This baby is sooooo lucky to have such sweet parents who are already so in love with him!!

Ashley said...

Amazing pictures! Congrats!

andreajennine said...

He's adorable!

Infertile Mormon Mommy said...

Aww... You made me cry and remember our anatomy scan. It was one of the highlights of my pregnancy for me, not just the finding out the gender, but seeing that my girl was healthy and perfect and getting a good look at her! I am so excited for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!! So thankful for your son's life!

Melody said...

Yay for your little man! Boys are so much fun. I'm so happy for ya'll.

Andrea said...

Thanks be to GOD!

What a joyous day! There will be so many more of "those moments" to come and I can not wait for you to experience them...its pure wonderment.

And little boys are just the sweetest...but I'm a little biased ;) Seriously, either gender is a true blessing!

All the best as you continue on, as you are almost half way there! Can you believe it???

xxx

Jem said...

Knowing the gender makes the whole thing that much more concrete, real. Congrats on a healthy anatomy scan! That's a HUGE hurdle.

Jenny H said...

Oh Hillary! I'm in tears just looking at your perfect little boy! He is perfect and those sweet feet... you will kiss them with every diaper change. And that precious face... you will kiss and stare in amazement every time you pick him up from his crib. Just wait... he is about to light up your life!!!

Saw this on pinterest today and thought of you... http://pinterest.com/pin/285556432592744625/

hope you can see the pin... let me know if you can't.

Thanking God toda for the precious life inside YOUR womb! Phil 1:3.

Blessings!

The Domestic Princess said...

Congratulations :)