Friday, January 20, 2012

{19 weeks}

19 weeks
**It's a rainy day so the lighting for the photo is darker...


Size of baby: heirloom tomato (approx. 6" and 8.5 oz.)

Total Weight Gain: +9 lb - I'm not worrying about weight, but it was still nice to stop the 2 lb. per week gain from the last 3 weeks and only gain one this week!
Continuing symptoms: Round ligament pain ( a lot more!), br.east enlargement, mild nose congestion
New symptoms this week: one braxton hick contraction - it scared me! But I read they can start around 20 weeks, and I'm not too far from that. I did get nervous about pre-term labor, but since I've gone so many days without any more I think everything is fine.
Maternity Clothes: Loving a few of my maternity pieces. I also discovered one non-maternity sweater I own that actually looks really cute with my belly, so that is nice since I don't have any warm maternity sweaters.

Sleep: Sleeping well.
What I'm Eating: Normal eating habits. I think I actually ate a lot more during the first trimester and I feel like I am eating like I did pre-pregnancy now (except I do still have a glass of milk before bed), yet I am gaining a lot of weight now.
Cravings: Wheat bagel with strawberry cream cheese for breakfast.
Movement: Love love love feeling our boy move! Each week the movements are getting stronger, and I almost always feel him when I am lying down. I have also felt him a few times while sitting, but I never feel him while standing or walking.

Special pregnancy moments: This section will be bittersweet this week. On Wednesday, my father-in-law went in for a relatively common procedure to open up the arteries of his heart since he was experiencing chest pain (an angioplasty). However, during the procedure a rare complication occurred that caused a piece of the plaque in his arteries to get loose and travel to his brain...resulting in a stroke. It has been a very emotional, difficult, and scary week as we initially just knew something "went wrong" and we were seriously thinking he may die, to wondering why he couldn't talk well (is it the medication?), and then to finding out he had a stroke. Thankfully it is probably a more minor stroke, but seeing somebody you love suffer and lose some of their abilities (his speech is slurred, he has double vision, and is struggling with some balance/ coordination) has been painful...but we are all trusting the Lord together.

My husband and I are very close to his parents. I have almost been surprised at how difficult this has been for me since it is not my dad but my husband's, but I have really grown to love and cherish my in-laws over the last nine years of knowing them. My husband made me so proud in how much he stepped in to help, and the way he lovingly cared for his dad alongside his mom. He slept at the hospital every night with him while we were down there to let his mom get some sleep, and was quite an advocate for his care.

So what does this have to do with pregnancy moments? My in-laws, husband, and myself had many moments where we talked about this baby, and the miracle of new life brought rays of joy to a difficult situation. One afternoon I was sitting in a waiting room with my mother-in-law and the baby was kicking the hardest I have felt yet, and she got to feel him! I know this was a special joy for her. At night when my husband was at the hospital and I was alone, I often went to bed feeling like my heart was breaking for my family, and the little guy would move and it almost felt like somebody was with me giving me a hug. I cherished his movements even more in those sad moments.

Baby boy, you have already brought so much joy to all of your family.

11 comments:

Kakunaa said...

Seriously, you are TINY! Such a cute bump! I had put on twice that weight by that point...severe morning sickness and eating was the only thing that kept me from throwing up. Rough week, but it sounds like there was a silver lining :-)

Melis.sa said...

Love this post.

Leah said...

You look great, and I can't believe you are already 19 weeks! Has the pregnancy gone fast for you? Your pregnancy has gone fast for me! Hee hee. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL and I hope he is on the mend. Thinking of you and your family.

Krystal said...

You're looking SO cute!

I'm an OB nurse, so let me give you some unsolicited advice! If you think you're having too many contractions and you're unsure if it's BH or real, drink 2 or 3 LARGE glasses of water in a short time period (like 15 minutes), then lay down on your left side. If the contractions go away, carry on with your day. If they don't go away, you may want to get checked out by your doc or the ob department you plan to deliver at. Sometimes, being dehydrated can cause contractions, hence the water helps!

I'll be praying for your FIL! Keep us posted!

CorinnaVN said...

With my second pregnancy I started getting BH contractions quite often from 16 weeks on. There was never any concern with them. I also have a friend who could feel her BH contractions with her first baby from even earlier than 16 weeks. (I've read that Braxton Hicks often start in the first trimester but usually women don't feel them.) Maybe you notice them more because you are slim?

I love your special moment story. It's the little joys (that are often brought by babies/kids) that help make hard times bearable!

Mandy said...

You are really looking pregnant now!!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!! So, excited for you.

Jessica R said...

I had BH from about that point on, too. Drink a ton of water (and just go ahead and make yourself at home in the ladies' room!). As long as they don't hurt, I think you're fine. I had 1-2 a day from ~20 weeks til delivery. You look adorable! Praying for your FIL. xoxo.

Andrea said...

You're half way there mama! So happy for you and you look amazing!

Wishing your FIL a speedy recovery and sending prayers for his keeping and progress. This must be so difficult...I'm so sorry.

Take care of you and give that little boy a little rub for me!

wallacefamilyblog said...

Happy 19 weeks!

Indy said...

I haven't been on here in a while but I am so happy to see that you are expecting. Truly a miracle. =)