Thursday, December 15, 2011

We are public!

This week marked a huge milestone for me...we went public with our news! This has been much anticipated for two reasons: 1) I am so over the moon excited about this miracle that it is hard to not want to shout it from the roof tops (other than that pesky first trimester anxiety that certainly kept any shouting in check) and 2) We can finally answer people's "How's the adoption process going?" question directly.

During our trying to conceive years, if I would have conceived nobody would have really asked me any questions during the first trimester because few people would have known. Even after an IVF cycle only a select few people would know, and thus we could have gone through that stressful first trimester only answering simple, "How are you?" type of questions. Even if we had gotten the random and awkward, "So when are you going to have kids?" question, that one never really deserves a real answer anyway (unless it's your best friend, but then she probably already knows what's going on...).

But in our situation, everybody and their mother (quite literally - I have had so many people tell me their moms were praying for us - ha!) knew we were adopting. This led to everybody wanting to hear how the process was going, which was actually really fun to talk about...until I suddenly found myself pregnant. Now we felt like we were lying...or being purposely vague...every time the question came up. Church on Sundays was the worst. It wasn't a huge problem, but it actually really drove my husband crazy! So, with that said, it is nice to be able to respond, "Well, we've actually put our adoption on hold because I'm pregnant." :)

We've made three "announcements." The first on was on Monday to both my husband's and my small groups of high school seniors (I have written about them before, but in case you're new we are volunteer youth group leaders. We started with this group of kids when they were entering 7th grade, and they are now in 12th!). We had conveniently planned a joint Christmas party with the guys and the girls groups, and I was so excited to share that we made the announcement early in the evening. We told them we had an update about growing our family, and when we actually got to the part where we shared that I am pregnant, we were met with blank stares for about fifteen seconds because they were completely expecting something adoption related. Once the news sunk in, however, there were many squeals, a few tears, and a mob-like group hug with all my girls around me. Love.

We then announced to our adult Bible study last night. We have been with this group for about three years, and they have supported us and prayed for us extensively as we did infertility treatments and pursued adoption, and I actually remember going to this group crying on the day we found out our male factor diagnosis and receiving prayer. Needless to say I was particularly excited to share with them! We were supposed to bring a white elephant gift that night, so I simply wrote on a small piece of paper, "The (insert last name's) are pregnant! Baby is due June 16, 2012!" on it, wrapped it in a box, and brought it as one of our white elephant gifts. Fortunately it was one of the first gifts opened, and the person who opened it decided to pass it around for each person to read themselves. It was so fun to see every person's face and hear the different "Oh!'s" as the little box went around the room. Thankful.

Lastly, I emailed all the ladies who were invited to my baby shower back in October (the shower that actually happened on the day of my missed period!). It was fun to be able to write out the news and praise God, since I feel like I express myself better in writing. And it has been amazing to get email responses throughout the day filled with joy and praise at this miracle. Humbled.

Before making these announcements, I did email the six women I know in real life who are facing infertility. Thanks for weighing in on how you thought I should notify them, and while I am sure there is some degree of personal preference, I am happy with the decision to email them. It is difficult to know that my news was most likely painful for them, but all I can do is be as sensitive as I can and continue to pray that their arms would be filled soon.

I continue to be so thankful and amazed that I am in this place. That I - Hillary - just made pregnancy announcements. Thank you, Lord. And now that these announcements have been made, I am sure word is out!

11 comments:

Deanna: Miss(ed) Conception said...

I am so over the moon excited for you! I love the white elephant announcement. So sweet! I miss having those close relationships with church family (sadly, we haven't been to church in months.) It was very thoughtful of you to email those that are still suffering. They can get he news and process in their own time. In the past, I had to fake the excitement to people's face when they announced their pregnancy. I know your friends will be happy for you but it'll still sting and they'll be grateful for your email. Anyway, so so so so excited for you!

jeanna said...

Ok, every time you wrote about your announcement I got chills and excited all over for you again! Congrats again and again!!!

Life Happens said...

I'm so glad you are able to start telling people. I always remember people's reaction when we started telling people and it was so amazing to see them genuinely happy (and even cry) at the news.

God Bless you and your family!!

The Swann's said...

Totally brought tears to my eyes!!! Every single time I come to your blog I thank God for this miracle baby growing beautifully inside you! So thankful for your blog posts and the ways God speaks through you in the weirdest ways to me! I'm so very happy for you Hillary!!!!

Christina said...

I am so so so happy for you Hillary!! I am dreaming of the day when I get to make a pregnancy announcement too. Still trusting on God for that one. But in the meantime, I'm so excited for you. You sound like you are enjoying every minute of it, which you absolutely should. May God be with you throughout the rest of this pregnancy until the day you meet your precious baby.

Anonymous said...

I am so, so happy for you. Reading this post brought me to tears at my desk. I love reading your blog, as it is like a watching a dream come true. You and your husband are truly blessed. God's work is just so awesome!!! Thank you for sharing.

Carrie said...

Truly a miracle in the making. I am so ecstatic for you!!!! Isn't it so wonderful to know that God never gave up on you? That's how I feel. I surely gave up on Him more times than I would like to admit, but He was always with me...and you, too! Congrats mommy-to-be!!

Melissa G said...

Congrats on going public! It's such an exciting feeling, I know. :)

A miracle, indeed!

Infertile Mormon Mommy said...

YAY! So exciting! I loved telling everyone! It's amazing to think after so long and so much work you finally get to share your good news! I loved hearing the stories! Congrats! I am so excited for you!

Jem said...

So happy for you! I love, love, LOVE how you told your Bible group! Awesome!

andreajennine said...

Yay! Love the white elephant gift announcement especially.