Thursday, December 29, 2011

Gender guessing game!

The gender countdown is on and we will hopefully find out whether this baby is a boy or a girl two weeks from today!! For some reason my mom is unhappy that we are finding out, but it is something I just always knew I would want to do. I totally respect those who want to wait, but for us it will be a huge surprise to find out if we are having a son or a daughter in two weeks and then we figure we will have another surprise finding out what he or she looks like on the day of his or her birth. Plus, we can't wait to pray for and talk about him or her using the proper pronoun - we figure that will make this pregnancy that much more real.


I thought it would be fun to have a gender guessing game on the blog, so I have added a poll to the top of the sidebar. Feel free to join in and guess. :) I will share my guess and my husband's closer to the ultrasound.


I made a chart showing some of the old wives' tales that indicate gender:



Boy Girl
No nausea Chinese Gender Chart
dry hands Heart rate high
clear skin prefer sleeping on my right side
no weight gain in face crave citrus
left br.east larger crave sweets


not moody carrying high?

location in early ultrasound
carrying in front
don't want bread heel (never did though) 
Not stealing my beauty (haha)



**From Amy: "Location in uterus at early ultrasound. It has to be around an 8 week ultrasound though. If transvaginal baby on the right - boy, left - girl. If abdominal baby on the right - girl, left - boy. It's been accurate for everyone I know :)" - Ok, so my 7 week ultrasound is here - looks like the baby is more to the left of center, right?? That would mean girl!

(I got some of these from Parents Magazine and others from blog readers)

Happy guessing! :) 

ETA: If you have other Old Wives' Tales that you want me to add, let me know in the comments and I will!

16 comments:

Amanda said...

I don't take a lot of stock in the old wives' tales, but they are kinda fun. I had always heard that refusal to eat the heel of on a loaf of bread indicated a boy. I normally loved loaf heels, but I totally shunned them during my pregnancy and still do somewhat, so I guess that one was true in my case.

I've also heard that if you look worse during pregnancy it's a girl because she "steals her mother's beauty".

So I'm going to go by the bread heel thing. Want a bread heel=girl, no=boy.

A said...

i know i have been an awful commenter lately, but i am so excited for you and praying for you!! my mom never found out with the four of us, so i think she was a little disappointed, too, but then again she loved praying for her granddaughter before she was born!!

Heather said...

I have 2 boys and fit most of the items listed for boy. i had no nausea, no weight gain except right in my belly, and carried all in the front. the only thing on your chart that was not true for me was the skin. I had terrible blistery acne on my face during and after my first pregnancy. but my skin was crystal clear the second time. who knows! can't wait to find out!

(I've been reading for a while wishing and hoping for this miracle for you! I don't comment often, but i'm following along))

Sarah said...

I voted boy! Just a feeling! :) Some of those old wives tales fit with me carrying my daughter, but some of them dont. Like Im not craving sweets and Im carrying low. So who knows if those tales are true but it sure is fun to guess :)

Carrie said...

I voted boy! As for finding out the gender...didn't you already have the surprise of your life when you discovered you were pregnant?! I doubt anything else could top that! Finding out the gender will just make it more real for you and you'll have so much fun picking out things for "him." :)

Infertile Mormon Mommy said...

I'm going with Girl. The Chinese gender chart with right for me! Either way what I wish for you most of all is a beautiful healthy baby.

Buck said...

My mom didn't think we should find out what I was having either but she was thrilled when we did. It didn't matter much - I knew it was a girl all along. I wonder if we ever have another if I'll "know" again.

I voted boy. :)

Rachel DeBell said...

I have no idea!!! Have you tried the ring over the belly thing? My Chinese gender chart says girl as well, but who knows? We're waiting to find out, I think. Part of me is a little jealous that you'll know, but if we can stay strong, we're gonna wait.

Can't wait to hear!

Leah said...

I'm guessing boy! :)

Melis.sa said...

I guessed GIRL in the voting thing but the last 3 babies I guessed on I've been wrong, so ya know :)

gringa78 said...

I vote girl!! I can't wait to hear the news!!

Amy said...

Location in uterus at early ultrasound. It has to be around an 8 week ultrasound though. If transvaginal baby on the right - boy, left - girl. If abdominal baby on the right - girl, left - boy. It's been accurate for everyone I know :)

beccasfamilyof5 said...

Old wives tales really are fun. During my pregnancies, they ALWAYS pointed to girls. Chinese gender also pointed to girls. I have 3 boys.

That said, I guess boy! :)

Britney said...

Such a fun time for you! Part of me wants to say boy, but I somehow believe it is a baby girl in there!

Mere said...

I am guessing girl simply because I have three girls and your pregnancy symptoms are almost exactly like mine. I didn't have any nausea, drank a huge glass of milk every night before bedtime, had the gagging thing going on (fun!), craved sweets, etc. There are so many similarities! Either way, I can't wait to hear as I have followed your blog for so long. I am just absolutely thrilled for you! :)

Niya said...

My only advice (from experience) . . . (and I know you and your hubby will be happy either way!!!) my advice is to not have a 'feeling' and do not listen to people when they say you are having XX or XY! I went into my first pregnancy neutral, but everyone kept telling me girl, girl, girl!!! I was a little sad when i found out boy, but very happy otherwise.