Friday, November 11, 2011

9 week ultrasound!

Our baby, growing strong at 9 weeks with a heart rate of 172bpm!!


I am so thankful and happy to share about my first OB appointment. Of course, seeing our baby and hearing the heart beat were the happy highlights that made me cry with joy. We even saw the legs moving around!

I had never met this OB before but knew that a lot of my friends had had her as their OB's, and both my husband and I had a very positive first impression. I felt like she listened to what I said. I mentioned that my mom had an incompetent cervix and had delivered me at 28 weeks, and expected her to simply say it's not hereditary. She did say that, but she also said to ask my mom if she had taken any medications during her pregnancy with me, and said that she would monitor my cervix more closely.

A few of you asked why I was having this appointment today, and I guess it is just this OB's practice to see women for their first appointment around 8 or 9 weeks. They took my weight, blood pressure, and a urine sample, asked about my medical and fertility history, did an ultrasound and pap smear, and gave me a flu shot. I will now go in every four weeks until I am 30 weeks pregnant, and then I will go every two weeks from 30-36 weeks, and then every week from 36 weeks on until the baby is born.

The only bit of bad news we received (don't worry, it's not the baby!) is that I have a lot of small cysts on  my cervix. The doctor seemed pretty surprised about it, which is never what you want to see. :/ However, she did say that the cervix is very engorged during pregnancy, and this just could be how my body is reacting to that. But because of the cysts, she did a pap smear that she otherwise would have waited to do because it can cause bleeding. She said not to worry and not to Google. Of course, it is a little hard not to worry (and to let your mind go to the "C" word...), but honestly I was SO happy that the baby was fine that those feelings have overshadowed any worry I might be tempted to feel. Plus, I know my RE saw my cervix during our IVF cycle six months ago, so I know they have developed since then at least. (But if you have any scary or bad stories about cysts on the cervix please refrain from telling them).

But we are happy, happy, happy and oh so thankful for our sweet babe! :)

21 comments:

Buck said...

What a great picture of your little friend! She is beautiful! And yes, I'm going with she. :) So so so happy for you guys!

Sarah said...

Amazing! :) What a cute baby! So glad things are going well for you...

Life Happens said...

Isn't it amazing to see such a tiny little heart beat?! I am SO happy for you guys!

Dawn said...

Yay!!! So happy for you!! Grow baby grow!!

cjdubs13 said...

Yeah for good news! What a cute little baby!! Don't worry about the cyst. I have had a few and had no problems, however, not while pregnant. Keep thinking positive about that little one!!

Ashley said...

What an amazing picture! Congrats! By the way, I love those verses from Habakkuk!

Courtney said...

WOW!! That is a great pic of your little bambino!! Even in our 9w6d ultrasound our baby still looked kindof like a sweet potato! Your picture is much more defined and stuff! His/Her little head and body and limbs are so easy to see! Thats great!! Isnt it surreal to see that inside of you!! I couldnt really even BELEIVE that I was actually pregnant until I started to feel him *very lightly* kick me starting around 16/17 weeks! Just wait!... It gets better and better from here on!! =D


So excited for you!!

Courtney said...

Oh and you should totally rent or buy one of the home heart monitors. You will be able to hear something in the next couple of weeks. I had one and it was my saving grace for whenever I started to worry about something. I would just go lay on the bed and listen to his heartbeat for a minute to make myself feel better. =)

Tami said...

Your baby looks GREAT! Nice strong heartbeat. Yay!!!! :D

Hillary said...

Praise be to the Lord for such a sweet baby you have in there! That picture is just adorable! Oh and it sounds like a girls heartrate to me! (is it too early to start guessing yet? :)

xoxox

Rach said...

Yay to growing healthy and strong!

Melody said...

Wow...I've waited a long time to see this very post!!!! Thank you for including us in the early stages of your prego annoucement. I understand why people wait til 8 weeks, etc but it's so nice to be on this journey with you in a distant but close way. So happy for you. Praying those cysts won't be a big deal at all.

Jessica R said...

What a beautiful little gummi bear! Yay for another great ultrasound! God is good.

Melissa G said...

Gorgeous pic of your little one!!! I continue to be absolutely thrilled for you!!

andreajennine said...

Hooray for a great ultrasound & heartbeat!

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for awhile now and just want to say CONGRATS! I think it's amazing that after all you've been through, you continue to give praise to our Savior. You are an inspiration to me. I appreciate you being honest with your thoughts and emotions. I pray for the little life growing inside of you everyday. Babies are such a miracle, and I'm so happy the Lord has blessed you and your hubby with this life.

Leah said...

Your baby looks like a baby! Amazing. :) Your OB's schedule looks similar to mine. I also had an ultrasound at 9 weeks. I also had a pap smear done at 9 weeks and started bleeding A LOT immediately. I freaked out, and quickly went to get an ultrasound, and their was my baby girl. . . moving around like crazy! Turns out I had a polyp on my cervix which caused a lot of scary spotting, but was told it didn't affect the pregnancy at all, which of course it didn't.

Congrats on a wonderful appointment Hillary. :)

sara said...

LOVE the pic of your sweet babe!! A said the babe looks like your DH:) such a guy! i just love all of this...still in awe and rejoicing at the miracle God has placed in your belly!!

Kakunaa said...

Look at that sweet little babe! I am guessing girl! Just throwing it out there :-)

mhdmom said...

So Happy! This is wonderful news, Hillary. What a miracle! Jenna

Carrie said...

What a great picture of your baby!!! I had an ultrasound at 9 weeks too, and I couldn't believe he was already moving his little arm and leg buds. It's just so amazing! It's great you have an understanding OB and that you like her so much. So glad you're still feeling good!