Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homestudy visit part 1 complete!

Thankfully my 'Jonah Day' ended much better than it began.

Our social worker came to our house in the evening and explained what the meeting was going to involve. She then asked us some questions and took notes. Nearly all of the questions were things we had written about in our adoption profile (Describe strengths in your marriage) or on our application to our lawyer (Are you open to adopting a baby of another race?) so they felt really easy. The only one that completely stumped us was who we would have raise the child if something should happen to both of us - we will need to pray about that this week!

Overall, the meeting felt very easy. We felt like we were ourselves and were comfortable. There were no questions that stood out as 'unusual.' After we finished talking, she walked through our house and took notes, but it was a VERY quick walk through and she certainly didn't write much. I was surprised to find out that this agency does not expect us to baby proof prior to placement since we are adopting a newborn, but that will be expected when the state comes over for our post-placement visits.

The social worker will be back next week for our one-on-one interviews. She said they will be about 45 minutes each, but I can't really imagine what else there is to talk about! We are excited to almost have this step completed - visit part 2 next week, 2 week turn around for the report, and then it will be approved by the agency a couple days after that...so we should be "homestudy ready" in about 3 weeks!!

10 comments:

A said...

so happy that things went well!! continuing to pray for a short and smooth journey to your little one!

Rach said...

Yay!!

Our one on ones focused a lot on our relationship with our family and how we were brought up. As well as hobbies and parenting styles.

Betty Rubble said...

We had trouble with that same question--we simply answered that we're weighing that one out, and will make a decision before Isaac's adoption is final in November--it's daunting to think about who will raise your child if you're not here! Good luck!

Vaso said...

I am so happy for you. Things are moving along!!! Congratulations...

Life Happens said...

So happy part 1 is complete. I'm sure you will pass with flying colors! So excited for you!

Leah said...

So glad it went well! I remember stressing so badly over the homestudy, and then our social worker was so sweet and truly just wanted to get to know us better. :)

I don't know if you've addressed this on this blog, and perhaps you don't want to, which I totally understand, just wondering if you are up for adopting another race? Again, if this is too personal, I apologize for my frank comment. Just curious.

andreajennine said...

Alright!

kdactyl said...

So glad everything went so well and your day ended better than it began.
kd

Rachel DeBell said...

Yay!! I am so glad it went well. On your guardian choice, one thing my "adoption guru" co-worker used to really encourage adoptive families to make sure they take into account that they were choosing open adoptions (all that our agency practiced). So if something were to happen, you'd want to make sure you chose a guardian who also recognized the importance for the child in preserving that relationship with birth family. I am sure you have already thought about that, but I am pretty sure you posted that you were hoping to have an open adoption, so I thought I would throw out there that little piece of thought. It was something I don't think I had thought about before working in adoption.

I can't believe how fast things are moving!! Praying your baby comes home soon!!

Melody said...

Whoo-hoo! Happy for you :)