Monday, August 15, 2011

Tears

My dad stayed with us last night on his way home from a trip. While we were making dinner, I showed him a photo album I had recently put together, as well as our adoption profile. He started with the album, and didn't make it to the adoption profile before dinner started.

This morning I came out to offer him some coffee or breakfast, but he declined and said he wanted to get on the road soon. He said he wanted to read through our adoption profile first, so I got it out again for him and told him I would take a quick shower while he read it.

Before I was finished getting ready, I heard the front door open and close. Tooth brush still in my mouth, I ran out to say good-bye to my dad. He turned from the sidewalk, blew me kisses, and waved. I was a little surprised he had left so quickly, but didn't think too much of it.

About an hour later I got this text from my husband:
I'm pretty sure your dad was crying after he read our adoption profile. He pretended to go get something from the car, but I definitely saw tears in his eyes. Love you!

The moment I read this, I started sobbing myself. I'm not exactly sure why. The only other time I can remember seeing my dad cry was when I got a huge award in 8th grade and he was so proud. Was he proud of us now? Was he sad for all we had to go through to get to this point, and that things haven't been "easy" for his little girl?

Probably both. Even as I type this the tears are flowing. I love my dad.

13 comments:

Life Happens said...

How sweet! I'm sure he will cry even more tears once he gets to meet his grandbaby!

Hillary Berger said...

Now I am crying! Sounds like your Dad is very proud!!

jeannette stookey said...

I learned the hard way infertility affects everyone. He is probably overwhelmed with the struggles and excitement all at the same time. You are his child and he is proud no matter what.

Diana said...

Ok I'm sitting here in tears also! Because my dad would do the same thing. Even now he gets choked up and he walks away and tries to be strong. It's so cute!!!! Give that dad of urs a big hug next time :) I love it :)

Andrea said...

I'm teary reading this...those who love us most see the light dim in our eyes dealing with infertility. Parents just want to make it all better and this is out of their control, and it just hurts them to see us hurt.

And the flip side is that he sees what a beautiful mother you are going to be to your baby in waiting :) The love of a parent is just so special.

amy said...

Aww, I love your Dad too, so sweet!! You know his heart breaks for you guys...but at the same time, I'm sure he's so happy for the journey that you have now chosen!!

Leah said...

I'm sure your dad is very proud of you. I also think he is still mourning with and for you. Going through infertility, I often thought of my pain, and at times, I would realize that those around me also mourned the loss of that biological child.

Your dad sounds like an amazing man, and as most fathers, your joy is his joy, and your heartbreak is his heartbreak.

Britney said...

Now I'm tearing up!....

Anonymous said...

Awww...that`s so sweet!

Veronique
http://www.lifeasaluce.blogspot.com/

Joyce said...

*sniff* your post almost made me cry at work!! That is such a sweet story, I'm sure having a great dad like that has contributed greatly to what an amazing mom you're going to be!

Deb said...

I've been following your story but I've never commented. Very sweet post. Dad's are special...that's for sure.

endoandbeyond said...

I love my dad too. This post made me tear up.

Indy said...

My eyes started to water reading this post. That is so sweet.