Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cameras, etc, etc.

  • A couple of you asked how we chose our camera, and I must admit it was mostly a financial decision - so this probably won't be very helpful in "how to choose a DSLR." :) I knew we wanted a Canon because I have two close friends with Canon DSLRs who said that we could all share lenses/ flashes sometimes, so that narrowed the brand down automatically. Initially my husband wanted one that had video capabilities (he has done some video stuff before), but he wanted one that shot at 1080p (don't ask me what that is). The least expensive camera that had this was approaching $800 which was out of our budget, so we just decided to get the lowest model that had NO video since he didn't want the lower quality video anyway, and the price was a slightly more palatable one ($475). We settled on the Canon Rebel XS 10.1 MP, and are very happy we went with the least expensive one since we are just beginners. That said, ALL of the Canon DSLRs had excellent reviews, so I kind of felt like we couldn't go wrong.
  • I am having no buyer's remorse, and even my frugal husband is excited about our purchase! However, I am freaking out about how much money we did spend on that on top of a ton of other expenses that all seem to be happening at the same time. Doesn't it always seem to happen like that?! I guess we will feel like this all the more when we have the added expenses of a little one. But this is also why I am so glad we went with the least expensive camera ;)
  • My grandma got diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer's yesterday. :( She is almost 92, so I am not shocked that something negative has happened to her health, but it was still a surprise at how sad I felt at this news. It also made me terribly miss my other grandma who passed away 9 years ago. And since I have the camera on the brain, I realized that I'm also sad I don't really have any pictures of me as an adult with my grandma who passed away, so I am definitely going to take some pictures with my still-living grandma soon!

2 comments:

Missy said...

THanks for the info. I will be praying for your grandma and family. My grandma lived for another 10 years after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's, although the last several years she was not herself at all. It was pretty tough.

Andrea said...

Hugs to you and your Grandmother. Alzheimer's is a very cruel disease that strikes so many. I only pray there will someday be a cure.

As for the camera, you will never regret the purchase. I got a Nikon D90 shortly before Lleyton was born and its wonderful....wonderfuly complicated, but that's all good too! The auto setting is amazing! Enjoy it :)