Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Camera ready!

I have been dreaming of getting a DSLR camera for a while now. Conveniently, my husband sat on our point-and-shoot camera in June and broke the screen AND we are expecting a baby - two points that allowed us to fork over the money and get one.

I don't really know how to take pictures with it, but I am hoping to learn. And this picture to the left is by no means an amazing picture, BUT it was with no flash, at night, and only a lamp on. There's no way I could have taken a non-washed out photo with our old camera at night.

Among the many things on my "to-do" list before meeting our baby was to get a camera. I suddenly had this great urgency, because, well, we will only meet our baby for the first time once. The baby will only be one day old once. I will only hold my baby in my arms for the first time once. Suddenly time passing and my baby growing up became a looming reality, and I was already feeling sad that the baby we have yet to become parents to is going to grow up! And I felt like the only way to even remotely capture those moments in time was to photograph them.

So now I think we're safe to get "the call." I feel like a real "mommy blogger" with a camera I can now use to take pictures - despite the fact that my husband doesn't want identifying pictures on the blog...haha. (Don't worry, I will definitely post some pictures of our little one here!) Although I am a very beginning photographer so don't judge my lack of photography skills :)

10 comments:

RMCarter said...

Very nice! We got our SLR a couple years ago (using our trip to Hawaii as a motivator) and I love it! Now we are looking to get a nice point and shoot, as the bigger camera doesn’t work in some situations. I also want a little video camera, like a Flip. I don’t want to miss anything!

I am loving your posts as you get ready for this exciting time in your life! They are so uplifting to me!

Rachel DeBell said...

Let me know if you need a short tutorial! I can skype with you!

Hillary said...

Now that you have the camera, I highly recommend this book for when the baby arrives!

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Baby-Pictures-Parents-Photographing/dp/0817400036/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313626457&sr=8-1

Missy said...

Can you give the details on the camera and how you picked it out? I would to get something besides our point and shoot, but am so over my head in that area I don't know where to begin. I am afraid to ask an "expert" b/c my questions are so basic.

Betty Rubble said...

JEALOUS! I gave up my SLR for a point and shoot and now wish I hadn't!

Enjoy!!! Can't wait to see your works of art!

andreajennine said...

Wonderful! I love our DSLR. I don't know a lot about photography either, but I've enjoyed what I've learned so far. I still shoot in auto (w/ no flash), but I'm getting better at figuring out composition and how to use the natural light around me. The Pioneer Woman's photography section has lots of great tutorials. Next step for me: a better lens!

A said...

so excited for you! what a great new purchase!

Melody said...

love the picture! So happy for your new lense...that's awesome. Yes, you definately have to have some good pics. Try to delegate that to someone if you can because those first shots will be so special of meeting and holding your baby. And I'm sooo glad you said you'll be posting pics here because I didn't know for sure what ya'll were going to do about that. I'm so glad.

Life Happens said...

Once you go DSLR, you never go back. I love mine, but I had to buy a small point and shoot to carry in my diaper bag since the DSLR is kind of big and bulky (not to mention super expensive) to carry around.

I would recommend getting an external flash as well. It all takes time to learn, but you will have fun doing it!

Can't wait to see all the pictures you will take of your little one. :)

Jess said...

Yay! I can't wait to see those pictures!!