Wednesday, July 13, 2011

We're officially a waiting family!!!

Today I sent in the contract and check to our adoption lawyer, and we are now officially a waiting family!!! EEK!

One unexpected but exciting part about working with a lawyer rather than an agency is that we do not have to do much to become a "waiting family." Of course, no expectant mother will probably hear of us yet because we have not given our attorney our profile, BUT our lawyer knows our criteria and if by some small chance we are the only family that fits an expectant mom's criteria we could still be matched (or hurried along with our profile :). We also do not have to have our homestudy completed before becoming active, and if needed we could even do that after we brought a baby home. (All of this is per C.alifornia's adoption laws through independent adoptions).

That said, we are diligently working on our profile and hope to get that turned in to our lawyer this weekend for review. I already have most of the text written and pictures picked out, so it's just a matter of putting it all together. I am also waiting for a call back from a social worker to begin our homestudy, so everything can start happening while we're waiting!

We're on!

18 comments:

kdactyl said...

I am soooo excited for you. I hope the wait is short, short, short!!!!
Karaleen

Melis.sa said...

How exciting!!!

A said...

Wow, I am SO excited for you! I cannot wait to see what amazing way in which God will grow your family!!!

Sarah said...

Yay! How exciting :) Best of luck with "bringin home baby"! :)

Joyce said...

Congratulations!!! That is amazing news!! Praying that things will move quickly for you!

Rambler said...

What a great event! Things are moving along and its great to have them lined up. I haven't commented in a while but have been silently following and cheering along. So happy for you, for the peace you are finding. I hope to read about more milestones until the day you strap booster seats into your car and have your first family dinner together. God Bless.

Amber said...

What an amazing journey this has been. Your child will be so lucky to have such a loving family who has wanted them so much!!! I'm excited to see where this will lead you.

Rach said...

WOW! Awesome news. Congrats!

cjdubs13 said...

It's a big step to have completed. We were matched 3.5 months after our home study was done. It can happen quickly. Best wishes!

andreajennine said...

Awesome!

Melody said...

Yaaayyyyy!!!! How exciting. You've probably already thought of this but you might want to make an extra copy of your profile for yourself. I didn't do that the first time and a friend suggested and I was so glad I did the second time. Have used it to help others in working up their profile, used it at another agency, and just glad to have a momento of one of the tools God used through that whole process.

melissa78 said...

woo hoo!!!!

Jess said...

SO very exciting! Congrats Hillary. Before you know it, you will have your baby in your arms, and all will be right.

Mrs. Hammer said...

I'm so excited for you guys. God is certainly letting you know you are on the right track! He is paving the way for his plan for you.

Rachel said...

I don't comment often but I always read! I am SO excited for y'all! God is opening doors... you won't be waiting long! Keeping y'all in my prayers.

Amanda said...

Congrats! So does this make you "paper pregnant"?

Andrea said...

Hillary,

Promise us that we will be the first to know when you get "the call". I'm SO EXCITED for you!!! Good things await :)

HUGS

MK said...

Hey Hillary, can I ask a question or two about attorney adoption? How do you pay? Is it something like half when you sign on and the other half once you're matched? Is it more expensive, less expensive, or about the same as an agency? And do you have to show that you have a certain amount of money in a checking/savings account? Thanks! :) I hope you're matched soon, how exciting!