Sunday, July 31, 2011

Eager and rushed

Yesterday we painted the nursery! My husband, a sweet friend, and I painted the small room fairly quickly. While it is still just an empty room, I smile every time I walk by it and love the color. I promise to post pictures once it is completed!

Painting the nursery felt like the first step that really opened the flood gates of "nesting" mode. I created a list of things we need to do to prepare for a baby, and am feeling a little overwhelmed with all that I would like to do. I am such a planner, and this is such a special and fun thing to dream and plan.

In all of my eagerness, I do also have a sense of feeling rushed. I would love to have a short wait, but the reality of getting everything done in a short amount of time is daunting. But it is also a little ridiculous to feel rushed when our wait could be long....and then I rushed to get everything done for no reason! Gah. On the one hand it is thrilling to not know when our baby will come - how exciting that phone call will be! - but in terms of planning I do long for the more predictable timeline that would have come with pregnancy. I feel like this time of anticipation is so sweet and precious, and I want to savor the joy of preparing...

This is probably another area I need to let go of control and trust God. We would be oh so happy to go and meet our baby tomorrow, and we would make it work with the help of family and friends (even if we only have two pieces of artwork and nothing actually for a baby at the moment). But if we don't meet our baby tomorrow, I am going to try to sit back and enjoy each moment preparing and dreaming of our little one, and take it one checklist item at a time.

7 comments:

Betty Rubble said...

Planning is so much fun! I just pray that your wait isn't a long one, and that the empty room is soon filled with the sweet sound of your baby!!!

Melody said...

I love that you are getting the nursery ready before the phone call. I was never able to do that emotionally and we thought we'd have three months to get it ready anyways. With the way God planned it though, we had a 48 hour notice with our son and a 6 hour notice with our daughter. Somehow we managed to get a nursery ready in that amount of time and it actually turned out Pottery Barn cute-ness. I hope you'll post pics of the nursery maybe??? Cannot wait to read your post about the long awaited phone call!

Melody said...

I love that you are getting the nursery ready before the phone call. I was never able to do that emotionally and we thought we'd have three months to get it ready anyways. With the way God planned it though, we had a 48 hour notice with our son and a 6 hour notice with our daughter. Somehow we managed to get a nursery ready in that amount of time and it actually turned out Pottery Barn cute-ness. I hope you'll post pics of the nursery maybe??? Cannot wait to read your post about the long awaited phone call!

Melis.sa said...

I am so excited for you guys to get "the call". The one that starts with a call and ends with a baby forever!!

Pez said...

The planning is so fun. Picking out stuff and looking at everything. Sometimes it is overload all the stuff they out there.

I can't wait to hear about "The Call."

Missy said...

This is the fun part! But I would not rush so that you are stressed out. Rushed is needing to stop by BRU for a carseat before going to the hospital to pick up your baby. As long as you are a step above that, make sure your preparation time is fun!

Andrea said...

Hillary,

The "rush" is part of the nesting phase and it warms my heart that you are rushing around, as that's what expectant mommies do :) We want everything to be perfect and finished, but it rarely is ;) And that is okay too!

If you want any advice on what items are the most needed feel free to email me anytime: anhinteriors@yahoo.com I asked countless friends what the essentials were, as I didn't want a house full of "stuff" that wouldn't be practical or used. IRL and Bloggie friends gave me the best advice! Afterall, you'll be doing your registry soon ;) Exciting!

So very happy for you!

Much love to you expectant Mama!
xxx