Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Progress!!

I spoke with an adoption lawyer over the phone today, which made me so excited! Suddenly this thing I have been simply 'researching' felt so real....like I could sign up with her tomorrow and set everything in motion. How crazy is that?!

This lawyer is one of two that was recommended to us. We have an appointment set up for the other one on July 13, but honestly I liked so much about the one I spoke with today that I don't even want to meet with the other. Plus, that meeting is going to cost us $300-$600. I know it's no time to be cheap - and we really will pay a little more for quality services - but that is a lot just for one meeting! We would like to talk to both so that we have a point of comparison, but we will have to decide whether or not it's worth it.

Initially I was desiring to work with an agency, but as I got further along in my research I learned that, in our area, there is only one full service agency that we could use. I have read a number of negative reviews about this agency (both online and through an adoption Ya.hoo group I joined) that made me very leery of it. And now that I am learning more about private adoptions through a lawyer, I am so thankful it is feeling more and more like a good fit. Lawyers in California can facilitate/ advertise adoptions, so many network and provide services much like an agency would.

In the rush of my excitement, I sat down today and wrote a super rough draft of our adoption profile. And my husband is so cute - he is a so.ftware develo.per, and has decided to more thoroughly learn web design. Over the last couple weeks he read a book and taught himself more about it, and is starting to design an adoption website for us as I type this.

We are making progress! Our next steps: decide whether or not to meet with the other lawyer, decide whether or not to go to the info session with the one agency we could work with, and sign on with somebody. My husband's next steps: Design our website. Yay!

22 comments:

Life Happens said...

So glad you found a lawyer that you like! Once your website is done, will you be sharing it with us??!

Lisa (roselln2) said...

Hey there! I don't know if you remember me, but I've been following along in your journey. I am so excited for you in this adoption journey and am sending along all the luck in the world that you are soon matched with your child. Sending lots of love!

Lisa (roselln2) said...

Hey there! I don't know if you remember me, but I've been following along in your journey. I am so excited for you in this adoption journey and am sending along all the luck in the world that you are soon matched with your child. Sending lots of love!

Lisa Aragon said...

Hey there! I don't know if you remember me, but I've been following along in your journey. I am so excited for you in this adoption journey and am sending along all the luck in the world that you are soon matched with your child. Sending lots of love! Lisa (roselln2)

Betty Rubble said...

This very much makes me smile! You're on your way!!!!

A said...

so excited for you hillary!! i would love to see the website, too!! :)

Diana said...

Best of luck to u and ur hubby!!! u ARE making progress!! How excting =)

Melody said...

That's great, Hillary. Can't wait to see the adoption website! Praying for wisdom as you seek out the different things ahead of you. Divine streamlining and trust for each step of the way is what I'm praying for you guys.

Rachel DeBell said...

Yay! That all sounds so great! I am sorry your area seems to have a lack of resources, but sometimes I think when choices are limited its easier to see the door God is opening. I hope it all goes well with your upcoming meetings! I can hear your excitement through your post and it makes me so happy! Praying that things go smoothly and quickly for you!

Rach said...

So glad you are excited!

andreajennine said...

Exciting!

sara said...

oh friend!!! i have so much to say!! i will email you soon but i am so happy for you guys! thought about you so much last week and prayed that the week away would be the perfect break/time to pray and think and that you would return refreshed and ready to start anew!!! much love friend...know that we continue to pray for you and dh from afar!!!

Just Believing said...

small advice for someone who has been there you should be able to get a free consultation or at least the basic knowledge you would need from lawyer without having to pay such a large amount....wouldn't surt to ask :)

Sandy said...

So excited for you! I'm sure your website will be wonderful.

Anonymous said...

So excited for you Hillary... It is great to watch this miracle-in-the-making, thanks for sharing!
Jenna

Jess said...

This is all so exciting Hillary. Adoption is a process, that's for sure, but you'll make it through and have your baby so soon! Praying so much that it goes quickly for you.

Andrea said...

So very happy for you! I remember when I reached the milestone of accepting adoption and feeling excited.

An agency that I know of that is very reputable is Agape. My friends were given their miracles through this agency :)

Do keep us posted. Big hugs!!!

Britney said...

so excited for you! this is the first step in what I believe is a blessed and ordained journey for you. also, an unsolicited piece of advice. use shutterfly when you create your profile book.

Christy said...

So so happy for you! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Westsidebee said...

YES! I'm thrilled for you.

gringa78 said...

Wonderful news!!!!!

NLY said...

That's really exciting, I hope everything goes well for you!