Thursday, March 24, 2011

I barfed. In public.

This morning I went to meet a friend for our weekly coffee-shop-before-work visit. I took an antibiotic for our FEggT just before leaving the house so I wouldn't have to remember when I got to the coffee shop. Normally I just get coffee or tea there, but this morning I knew I needed to eat something so this nasty blue pill wouldn't be sitting in my empty stomach, so I ordered a little muffin to go with my tea, which I thought would be enough.

Within a half hour, waves of nausea started washing over me. At first I tried to ignore it and kept talking, but pretty soon I was so uncomfortable that I had to tell my friend. She asked if I needed anything, and I looked over at the food counter to see if I should order something else, but I was already to the point where nothing looked good. I asked if we could walk a few stores down to a grocery store so I could get something more substantial than the sweet pastries there.

We stepped outside and I was feeling terrible. I have had antibiotic induced nausea before, but it was never this bad. We walked a few feet down, and I realized that I was actually fighting back the urge to vomit. I rarely vomit, and when I have done so it has always been due to a stomach flu or food poisoning...never over a tiny blue pill.

But there I was. On the sidewalk next to Ki.nkos/ Fe.d Ex and facing Tr.ader Joe's. I realized almost too late what was going to happen, but (thankfully) there was a public trashcan there on the sidewalk.

And I barfed. And before you think this was one, "Bleh," let me set you straight. No, this was repeated, "Blehs" into the dirty trash can.

People were walking by.

My friend was standing next to me.

I started crying.

I hate those antibiotics. I think I am going to gain some weight, because I have to take them 2x/ day for five more days, and I am going to make sure I have a very full stomach from now on.

I couldn't help but wonder if that was what morning sickness is like... and if the closest I will ever be to experiencing it is from taking medication trying to get pregnant.

14 comments:

lifebytheday said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry! How miserable :-(

Jem said...

Oh, you poor thing! I hope you felt better afterward!

Rach said...

Oh thats awful. I hate throwing up. It's the worst feeling. I hope the rest of the pills go ok.

Similar thing happened to me once. I took a vitamin around 3pm at work and I started feeling sick on the drive home. BARLEY made it in my driveway, opened the car door, and just let it go on the driveway. Glad no neighbors saw!

Mellow said...

Oh my! What an awful experience. I'm sorry you had to go through that! Good plan on keeping a full belly.

A Shadow of My Former Self said...

Gah! I hate getting that feeling in public. Any way to eat something before taking the pill next time? Sometimes it takes awhile after you eat before you can safely take the pill. I hope you never have to experience that again!

eggsandsperm.com said...

Aww, how awful. I'm so sorry. Hugs.

Michele said...

Oh honey... Hugs

AplusB said...

Oh yuck. Sorry - antibiotics can be nasty!

There is a Reason said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! I hope you are already feeling better! What we go through to try to be mommies....*sigh.

Meg said...

I hate that you threw up that expensive tea and muffin.

Mommy-In-Waiting said...

I am so sorry, how miserable! I hope you felt better afterwards and that it doesn't happen again. Sending you lots of positive thoughts that this is your cycle for a bfp=)

tanyaslifejourney said...

Oh, you poor thing! I hope that doesn't happen again...no fun!

Heather said...

H- I am sure you are taking doxycycline. I had the exact same thing happen on that medicine and it was so bad they put me on an iv of zofran to stop the vomiting. All that to say, I am now listed as alergic to that nasty blue pill and theu give me cipro instead. iT works just as well with no side effects. Ask for it honey!!!

Sweetie said...

Nice blog. I had myomectomy surgery to remove fibroids. No fibroid seen after surgery 2 years back but not conceived so far. IVF1 dint give us baby. Going through IVF2. I barfed when I went for ET due to anti-biotics :-)
Not sure if I am hopeful I had spotting 9days past 3day transfer. That is when I used to have periods earlier i.e. 12th day after ovulation. So :-(
Anyway nice to see your blog.