Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A firm foundation

"I have experienced much unanswered prayer in life, but I always come to realize that God is far better than whatever it is I was praying for."

This was a quote I heard in a sermon on Sunday.

Wow.

I think this succinctly says what I have been trying to communicate at various times on this blog about my faith. As I hurt and grieve over God potentially saying "no" to our prayer for a pregnancy, this is the conclusion I keep coming back to.

I don't need a miracle. I don't need the miracle of God answering our prayers and letting me get pregnant. And I am thankful God has brought me to this understanding, this solid ground and firm foundation of faith. I will not be shaken. Yes, I will grieve and suffer if the answer is indeed a "no," but my hope and peace extend beyond these momentary sufferings. I am thankful.

10 comments:

Rosie said...

You are amazing. Keep your strong faith. I'm still mourning and feeling sorry for me. I hope someday I'll get to where it is you are. You're an inspiration!

Bobbi said...

I love that quote. I'm going to write that one down. This post inspires me so much. You are an amazing and strong woman. :)

Anonymous said...

Amen. So beautifully said.

Meg said...

You're so mature in your faith.

Amber said...

Awesome quote! It really can help put things in perspective. Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

Beautiful Hillary.
I'm so thankful for God's work in you because you share it with us all, and it is very encouraging.
God truly is enough - praise Him.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. This makes me think about the song by Nichole Nordeman "Gratitude". If you don't know it, you should check it out.

Michelle said...

Thanks Hillary. I needed this today! Sometimes I am completely amazed at how similar our journeys are...Thinking of you! Love you!!
xoxoxoxo

tanyaslifejourney said...

After praying for peace for over a year I have finally figured that out! I have (for now!) completely surrendered our infertility to God and can't wait to see what He has planned! Thanks for sharing.

Jummy said...

Wow. That is a huge realization to come to. I pray that I can say the same about the things that I'm not-so-patiently anticipating.