Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Home from surgery

I am very thankful to report that everything went smoothly today, and I am home resting now with some delicious soup warming my belly and candles burning on the coffee table next to me.

I am also very thankful to report that my RE removed a 1 cm fibroid from my uterus. With all of my uncertainty about whether or not to even do the surgery, I confess it was a huge relief to know that something was actually done. I dreaded to wake up to hear that he looked around but the fibroid was so small...or not placed in such a way that it was protruding into the uterine cavity...or whatever it would be that resulted in him looking around in there but not doing anything. Yes, peace of mind would have been nice, but I am very thankful to get that fibroid out. I think it was significantly bigger than he thought it was via ultrasound/ saline ultrasound prior to the surgery.

When I saw my RE on Friday, I had mentioned that my last fibroid removal surgery was a "piece of cake," and he reminded me that although this is a simple surgery, all surgeries are different. And this one certainly was. I remember very few discomforts with the last - I simply remember sleeping, sleeping, and more sleeping and then waking up feeling like I had just had the best nap ever. Almost no pain (I think I said I was a 2 on the pain scale), very minimal bleeding, and overall I felt great within a few hours of waking up.

This time, not so much. All of the discomforts were mild - very mild - but I guess I was just surprised to have any after my experience with the last surgery. I woke up faster, but I felt less rested and more cranky. I felt some cramping (perhaps a 4 on the pain scale), and requested some pain meds. My throat was really sore from the intubation tube (and still is), I was shaky and cold feeling, and I kept wanting to go back to sleep but couldn't really. Then I was transferred to post-op where DH met me. I was coming to more and more, but it felt like it took longer to not feel so out of it. My bleeding has been heavier, too, although I'm certainly not bleeding through pads.

However, I have to reiterate that I am doing just fine, and feeling better each hour that passes. I know all of these discomforts are incredibly mild, and am thankful this was a minor surgery! So thankful for safety and wellness today, and thankful the fibroid was removed.

All in all, I would say the surgery was a success. Thanks for your prayers and support!

25 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm glad that your surgery is over and was productive. Hopefully the discomfort of recovery will be over soon and it will have been worthwhile!

jeanna said...

Praise God for a productive surgery. I hope you feel better soon.

Micha said...

I'm glad that your surgery went well. I hope you have a speedy recovery and now you get to move on to bigger and better things!

Meg said...

I'm so glad that you got "something" for your money. Now there will be no hurdles in the way for your FeggT. Any type of surgery has risks, and I'm so thankful you're doing well. Now that the surgery is behind you, I'll move the focus of my prayers to this upcoming transfer.

Mrs. Lydon said...

So glad it is taken care of for you. I will be with you shortly haha. Sorry it is more yuck than the last one but lets say thats a good sign :)

Jem said...

So glad the surgery went well and went with little pain. Aren't the drugs they give you grand?

Heal up quickly!

((hugs))

Mellow said...

Good for you, Hillary. :) Glad that part is over for you. Praying!

Jenni said...

I'm glad the surgery went well, and I hope you're back to feeling more like yourself very soon. Speedy recovery!

Christa said...

I've been there and done that and I'm glad you feel better and have gottens some answers!

Leah said...

So happy it went well, and I hope you are feeling better every hour. Like you, I am happy that your doctor found and removed something. That is hope right there. :) Thinking of you.

Emily said...

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well! Hope your recovery is a quick one!

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

I am happy that you guys did the surgery! Rest up and feel better!

Melis.sa said...

Sending healing thoughts. I hope the pain and bleeding subside soon.

Kakunaa said...

Glad to hear it went well and you are recovering nicely! Stay resting!

AplusB said...

I'm glad the surgery went well and hope you have a quick and uneventful recovery!

Hillary said...

I'm so glad that everything went well ! Prayers for a quick recovery!

Rachel DeBell said...

Yeah! Glad it went well. I hope your healing continues to be quick and smooth. And I am going to just keep praying that God gives you peace about all your decisions!

Ami said...

:) Glad to hear it was a good procedure!

Michele said...

Here via Pez... So glad things went well!

Rambler said...

This is very good to hear! To feel you went though it all and there was something that required attention.

Your faith is holding you strong, and there are many times I find solace in your words.

Hope you are feeling much much better today and can use the weekend to continue resting up. The money comes and goes, but those precious moments with DH are priceless.

Bobbi said...

Wonderful!!! I'm so glad that surgery served a purpose. This is going to do the trick to bring you your baby!!!

sara said...

thankful the surgery went well and the doc was able to remove the fibroid. Praying for continued wisdom and for the discomforts to be gone!!!

Anonymous said...

Great news! God is good! Have faith, Believe that the victory is yours...
I think you will have a baby in your arms by the end of 2011..I am praying that for you. I am praying believing that it is true!!!
God Bless you!

gringa78 said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery!! I think of you often and remain hopeful for you, as always. ((HUGS))

Mrs. Hammer said...

I'm so glad to hear your surgery went well. I know it was a big decision. You continue to be in my prayers daily. I posted a blog last week with awards and then totally forgot to tell people about it. Soooo, while it's late, I have an award waiting for you!