Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Our last embryo

At my three day transfer on Monday, the third embryo that we did not transfer was 6-8 cells grade B. I think my RE did not want to transfer it because, no matter how many BFNs I've had, he was just uncomfortable with transferring 3 embryos and the risk of multiples in somebody my age. But he knows we want to transfer all embryos that do make it, so he said we would wait until day 5 and see if it had continued to develop. If so, we would transfer it.

My RE called me himself bright and early this morning to say that the embryo basically had not grown and was still an 8 cell grade B. :( He said for it to make it at all it has to be a blast by day 6 or 7, so since it is this far behind he is 100% certain it is not viable. I agree with this, and since our embryo has essentially died by not dividing, we will not be transferring it.

I think I expected this, but it was still a little disappointing. And it's difficult to not let my mind go to the fact that perhaps the other two embryos in my uterus have stopped dividing, too. Maybe none of my embryos ever make it to blast. But I know there is a normal attrition, and I am praying that these 2 are is still growing away in me.

Another random piece of information that I got on transfer day that I forgot to mention is that they DID freeze the 7 immature eggs from my retrieval. I was pretty confused about this, but when I asked the embryologist she said they can culture them to try to make them mature, and she would estimate 2 out of the 7 eggs would end up mature. I guess that means we have about 5 eggs frozen (3 from IVF #2 and a potential 2 from IVF #3) - it's not much but I'll take it.

I'm enjoying resting at home...I'm a little too good at laying around on the couch all day. :) But tomorrow it's back to normal life, although I kind of wish I could just lay here until the 26th and let those embryos snuggle in.

18 comments:

A said...

I'm sorry about your embie (HUG). I'm praying the other two will be in your arms in 9 months :)

Anonymous said...

I understand the disappointment of having embies not making it to blast. On my fourth fresh cycle we transferred 2 day 3 embies and tried to have the others grow to blast. None of the others made it to blast either. However I have a wonderful dd who came from one of the embies that was transferred. So know that a BFP is still very possible in your situation. Praying for you, your dh and your future baby(ies).
Lisa

Melissa G said...

Sorry to hear about your last little embie. Prepared or not, I can understand why it's so upsetting. Crossing everything that this is finally it for you. PUPO!

Thanks for your thoughtful comment on my blog this morning. I really appreciate it.

On a side note, I have some sad news - I don't think they're selling the Carmel Brulee Latte this year. =(

andreajennine said...

Sorry about the 3rd embryo; I always felt so sad for the ones that arrested. Praying for those already in utero and that you'll be pregnant at last. And 5 frozen eggs sounds great to me! Thawing and attempting to fertilize 5 frozen eggs did the trick for us!

Jen said...

Not sure if I've ever commented on your blog before, but I've been a follower for a long time. Praying for you all along your journey.

Life Happens said...

They say the best place for those embryos is in the uterus so I'm praying that your embryos are snuggling in and growing!!!

Marie said...

Just lay around at work all day instead ;)

RMCarter said...

Actually, I think returning to normal life is great for the 2ww. :) Hoping this cycle is the one!!

AplusB said...

Fingers crossed so hard for you!

Courtney said...

I've been praying for you!

God bless

Mellow said...

Praying that the two you had transferred will be nestling in safely, and you will get your BFP soon. :)

Andrea said...

Hillary,

Praying with every ounce of my being for these little embies. I choose to BELIEVE in your miracle coming very soon :)

I know the waiting game can play havoc on the mind...I will also pray that peace surrounds you. Keep those tootsies up, snuggle in and be good to yourself.

Many Prayers
xxx

lifebytheday said...

I'm sending you LOTS of prayers and sticky vibes...we've never had any embryos make it to blast, but obviously that didn't matter. Praying that this is your turn.

Hugs!

Kakunaa said...

I hope they are snuggling in. There are tons of 3 day BFPs out there :) Don't give up hope!

Melis.sa said...

I hope that one or both of the embryos transferred are sticking around!!!

Shanny said...

I'm praying for those 2 embies growing and snuggling themselves in there, good luck hon!

ceecee867 said...

Lurkville resident here..... But just to let you know.... I don't think I've ever prayed so hard for someone I don't personally know. God Bless you both and His will be done.....

ventingvagina said...

i'm sorry the 3rd didn't make it but i have so much hope for your 2 embies already snuggling in! and congrats on having some frozen eggs too!

i hope this next week flies by and that you get some great news to be very thankful for on friday!

good luck!