Friday, November 5, 2010

Monitoring appointment #2

Overall, a great appointment! But do you want the good news or the bad news, first?

Let's start with the bad news, since there isn't much. :)

My RE has me on a slightly higher dose of medication for longer than he has on previous cycles, and as he began to measure and count the follicles he said offhandedly, "Even with all this medication you're still not producing a lot of eggs here..." I love my RE, and even though I know I'm not going to produce a ton of eggs, it's still hard to hear. To my infertile ears, it almost sounded like, "Yeah, this cycle may not be any different than the other two. Oh, and you'll probably have premature ovarian failure and go into menopause early." Obviously, I totally made that up, but still.

On to the good news!:
  • Despite my RE's disappointment that I don't have a "a lot" of eggs growing, I am very happy with the nine I do have after 4 days of stims: 12mm (x2), 11mm (x4), and 10mm (x3). This is a very comparable number of follicles to IVF #2, and better than IVF #1 in my mind :)
  • I am especially pleased that they are all very close in size, with no lead follicles jumping out ahead! This seems better than IVF #1 and #2.
  • The lead follicles are smaller than they were at this point of stims than my previous cycles, which may mean I get to stim for an extra day! This is good news for me since I always feel like my follicles just grow "too fast."
  • I never expected to get "a ton" of eggs anyway. My AFC is around 10, so this seems to be on track. I'm just going to be thankful for the eggs we do get, and am praying they are high quality ones that form embryos that will become babies!
  • I felt really relaxed and calm at the appointment itself. My RE paid me a really nice complement about how sweet I am (aw), I was chatting and laughing with the nurses, and even had a nice conversation with a couple other patients while waiting. Sometimes I feel so on edge I hardly talk while I am there, but not today!
I have the weekend off from appointments, and will go back on Monday. I'm looking forward to relaxing and enjoying time with DH as we prepare for the craziness of everyday appointments, an ER, fert report, and ET that are fast approaching. I hope you all have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Sounds like a lot of good to me. I totally agree that it's more important to have a handful of awesome, high-quality eggs than dozens of low-quality ones. After all, all you really need is one! (Well, theoretically, anyway.) Praying hard for you and all your upcoming appointments. Hoping for only good news from here on out!

Kakunaa said...

It is sounding wonderful :) I think it's going great! Enjoy your weekend free of appointments before the insanity of next week.

Melis.sa said...

That sounds excellent about the number of eggs and how they're growing!!

Kelli said...

Awesome!! So thankful that they are all hanging together around the same size!! That was always an issue for me, too! Can't wait to hear more on Monday! xo

ventingvagina said...

So glad to hear everything is moving along so well! Looks like we're fairly close this cycle. I'll be following along!

heartincharge said...

All in all a good appointment! Great!

Leah said...

This is all great news! And 9 follicles is great! It's way more than I ever had.

justine said...

congrats on the good news! And happy Blogoversary! :)

AplusB said...

Sounds like a great start!!