Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fert report

The good news: They ICSI'd 3 eggs, and all 3 fertilized normally! This is very good news, and we have more embryos growing at this point than we ever have before. I am thankful and I do love knowing we have specific embryos to pray for now. Thank you, Lord, for this life you have created.

The weird news: They ICSI'd 3 eggs....after we had told the RE to do 4?! Huh?

The bad news: Based on the weird news above, I called the embryologist back (since I had gotten the information in a voice mail), and found out that out of the 10 retrieved, only 3 eggs were mature. In my weepy emotional state, this set me off on a new wave of sadness and tears. How could I have taken so many drugs and only ended up with 3 eggs anyway?? How? Does this mean all of the eggs are bad, and my embryos are bad now?

And we have never had this problem before:

IVF #1: 8 eggs retrieved, 5 mature, 3 ICSI'd, 2 fertilized
IVF #2: 15 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 6 frozen, 3 ICSI'd, 2 fertilized
IVF #3: 10 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 3 ICSI'd, 3 fertilized

*sigh*

The end result, as of today, is still better than the other cycles. And although we wanted to fertilize 4, 3 is just fine - we didn't need more since we are limiting fertilization anyway. I'm trying to focus on this cycle, on those 3 embryos growing, and praying that this cycle - despite its many disappointments - is the miracle. And God is in control. Thank you for your many encouragements, prayers, and well wishes over the last few days. I feel so weak & fragile, but I also feel supported by each of you.

I feel so incredibly weak. It is the only word I can even use to describe my heart right now. I think the Lord has given me this word to remind me of this verse, and may it be true in my life:

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

17 comments:

RELH said...

Grow embies grow!

Marie said...

I will pray for triplets :)

Kristin (kekis) said...

I know I've already said it, but I'm hoping and praying for you!

Anonymous said...

I only got 5 eggs from my IVF and was so disappointed. We were expecting way more. 4 fertilized normally and we transferred 2. I am now pregnant with twins!! Just wanted to give you some encouragment. I totally understand what you are going through.....but it only takes one (or 2!!) to create a miracle. Thinking of you and praying for you.

RMCarter said...

It is always darkest right before the dawn! Praying for you.

Life Happens said...

I am praying for your 3 embryos! I believe the Lord makes our hearts weak sometimes so that we can turn to Him to be stronger!

Courtney said...

Looks like our prayers are working! Even amongst the "bad news".. I see the hope in this cycle for you!

I love that verse that you posted. Wow.. that is powerful.

.. still praying...

Melis.sa said...

Praying for you and the embryos and that you have a smooth transfer. With a BFP soon!!!

lifebytheday said...

I'm sorry that I haven't written, but I have been thinking of you and praying for you ALL WEEK. I completely know the disappointment when you get a lower number (eggs, mature, fertilization, whatever!) than you had planned, but I think our last cycle worked because we had quality over quantity. I'm praying that's the case for you as well. Be kind to yourself right now.

Hugs,
Jeannine

Momo said...

All you need is one good embryo, now you have 3...maybe as lifebythe day noted, this will be a case of quality over quantity.
Thinking of you.

Lindsey said...

Praise God for three fertilized! Praying they will grow strong.

Leah said...

I've thought of you a lot this weekend, and I really hope this is the cycle for you. I will tell you this. . . I never had so many eggs that fertilized normally. I think 3 sounds great! Praying for you. And I understand the weakness so well. You are going through a very difficult time and you have every right to feel down about it. Keeping you in my prayers.

Kakunaa said...

It is sooo hard when that happens. We had a TON of eggs, and only 7 made it to blast. But it doesn't mean the remainder aren't fantastic! I have high hopes!

cowgirltn said...

I am here to send you words of encouragment and prayers. For IVF #3 they retrieved 12 eggs, 9 fertilized and only 2 made it to transfer. I am 10 weeks pregnant with 1 of my 2 embryos. 3 is a great number who knows maybe all 3 will take.

AplusB said...

Thinking of you and your three embryos. I know you're disappointed, but three is a great number and gives you so much to be hopeful about. Hang in there.

heartincharge said...

Don't worry. Looks like your 3 eggies were good eggies and very strong!. His grace is sufficient indeed!

Melissa G said...

Grow Embies, GROW!!!! Crossing everything for you Hil!