Sunday, October 10, 2010

Our usual weekend

This weekend was a "normal" one as far as weekends go. It's difficult to say what a normal one is, because there is often some kind of birthday party, family get together, wedding, visitor, youth event, etc. that can vary and leave a weekend feeling very full. But for a non-busy weekend, this is our gold standard:

Friday night: Date night!! DH & I have made this a weekly tradition, and hope to continue it in some form even after we have kids. Although we occasionally get more creative, we usually just go out to dinner and rent a movie...so the only thing that will most likely need to change after we have kids may be take-out instead of dining out. :)

This Friday we went out to a bit of a nicer restaurant to celebrate DH's good performance review at work and had so much fun! We came home, got comfy, and watched the movie Once (which our friends had let us borrow) while eating home-made apple pie that I had made with a friend. Lovely night. (By the way, we didn't really love the movie despite its amazing reviews on Ama.zon...?!)

Saturday morning/ afternoon: I made coffee while DH toasted some English muffins and topped them with boysenberry jam. We did some reading, and then lounged around for awhile. I went to the grocery store, and then made Sloppy Joe's (so much better than from a can!), coleslaw, and baked sweet potato spears.

Saturday Evening: Took the above listed dinner over to a friend's house and ate with them. They had their 2nd baby about a month ago (and he was 10lbs 10ozs at birth!!), so we brought the meal to help out and get a chance to spend time with them. DH & I played Bingo with their 3 year old daughter, and after she went to bed we all watched the last two episodes of The Office.

Sunday: Went to church which is always a treat. Came home and DH made us an egg sandwich for brunch, and then we again had some lounge around time. I planned our Halloween Party (this will be our 3rd annual one), and sent out the Evite. I also found some cute decorations I want to make for the party, and DH & I planned out our costumes....more to come on that later!

All in all, a wonderful weekend. And as I enjoyed each part of it, I felt thankful that we are enjoying our pre-kids days. We have fun together, enjoy our sleep-ins, do a lot with friends, and try to live in the present. And even though the present doesn't have the kids I would have hoped for by now, we sure do have a lot to enjoy.

Thankful.

9 comments:

Whitbit said...

I LOVE your positive outlook, can I borrow some? ;) We have been trying 3 years with 1 miscarriage 2 months ago. I am a wreck still, but would love to get back to normal. I'm glad you had such a good weekend, although I am sure you always felt something was missing you still managed to enjoy it, so kudos honey, and dust to you for next time. :)

heartincharge said...

Sounds like you had an awesome weekend. Lots of good food! Congrats to DH on the great review.
I have fun no kid weekends with my DH too. When we can be spontaneous or like tonight we went to a dinner with wine pairings and I savored every course and the grownupness of the night. Its good when we can appreciate this in the midst of our hope for children.

RELH said...

Thank you for the great way to make Sloppy Joes! We love 'em around here!

Rach said...

Sounds wonderful! Glad you had time to relax.

AplusB said...

Sounds like a great weekend and I'm so glad you can cherish these special times with you and DH.

Kelli said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!! :) Love ya girlie!

A said...

Hey Hillary, so bummed to have been gone from commenting for so long, but I am so glad to be back! I've been reading you though, so I haven't stopped praying! Very glad that your weekend was nice!

Melody said...

What a great weekend. I hope you'll post pics of your Halloween party.

Kakunaa said...

That is such a positive way to look at it! Yay you :)