Friday, October 15, 2010

Cycle day 1!

Whew, after a very, very, very LONG cycle (for me - 66 days), I think my period has arrived. It's here. It's time. I feel anxiety for practically the first time in 66 days. I'm excited and happy. I can't wait to show up at the RE's tomorrow. I also dread the roller coaster that lies ahead.

This, my friends, is the love-hate relationship I have with fertility treatments.

IVF #3 is starting! I have been waiting for this day, and I must say that it has already been a challenging cycle.

1. It took so long to get here.
2. It kept tricking me about when it would start. A little spotting here...."oh good, my period must be around the corner"...spotting stopped....huh?
3. This week it was pretty clear that the spotting was the real deal. But then the spotting kept confusing me as to whether or not it was my actual period.

Warning, a TMI recap of the spotting and period variety follows:

This week....
Saturday - Monday: A little spotting. Looked promising but I wasn't holding my breath.

Tuesday: Heavier. Knew this had to be it. Now how long would the spotting last before the period arrived?

Wednesday night: Hey, look at that red when I wiped! Bright red! But it's not heavy...and I'm not crampy...maybe tomorrow. But normally my spotting isn't bright red.

Thursday morning: Spotting darker and lighter than night before. I felt reassured that it wasn't my period.

Thursday night: Bright red when I wiped and on my pantyliner. Not heavy, necessarily, but heavier than the spotting. This cycle has already been so weird....so what if the start of AF is different than my usual? What if this is it? How can I tell? I mentally freak out a little because the RE said I needed to start stims on cycle day 2 - but what if I get the day wrong??

Friday morning: Still some bright red going on, but still not heavy like my usual period feel. I call the nurse to get advice. While I'm waiting for her to call back, it starts. The unmistakable this-is-a-period-flow with cramps to accompany it. Thankful for the reassurance!

So my baseline appointment is tomorrow morning. I do have a little worry that somehow the bright red "spotting" for a couple days before my period could have still been my period, and I am starting my IVF cycle on the wrong day...but I feel 90% certain I got it right. Hopefully. I don't want to mess any of this up!

11 comments:

Rach said...

Hope everything is on track and your baseline goes well! Yay to CD 1.

Life Happens said...

Good luck with your appointment. I am praying so hard that this will be THE cycle for you guys!

Have a great weekend!!

AplusB said...

Yay for CD1! So excited for you to get started!

RMCarter said...

My period did the same thing to me too! For about 2 weeks it kept starting and stalling. I even went in for a Baseline and the nurse told me, “Nope, that wasn’t it!” Finally, it came.

I also relate to your love/hate relationship with treatments. While I was waiting for this cycle, all I wanted was to be going back to the RE. But as soon as I finally have that baby, I am okay with never seeing him again! :)

RMCarter said...

My period did the same thing to me too! For about 2 weeks it kept starting and stalling. I even went in for a Baseline and the nurse told me, “Nope, that wasn’t it!” Finally, it came.

I also relate to your love/hate relationship with treatments. While I was waiting for this cycle, all I wanted was to be going back to the RE. But as soon as I finally have that baby, I am okay with never seeing him again! :)

Mellow said...

Yay! Finally huh! Do you have to do a month of the pill first, or do you get to go right into your stims? Excited for you! :) I am finally on my way too, WooHoo!

jeanna said...

So excited for you to get started on your cycle! Lots of prayers coming your way.

Heather said...

Yeah! I know exactly how you feel, I am currently on day 45- and have just started taking Provera to make me bleed. I hat ebeing so irregular- maybe that is our hurdle to being pregnant!

Good luck honey! Praying for you guys!

stillwaitingformysunshine said...

YAY SO EXCITING DAY 1!!! I'm finally back from my bloggin break and I can't wait to follow you through this IVF journey. Sorry to be gone for so long. You have my prayers as always!
-21reena

stillwaitingformysunshine said...

YAY SO EXCITING DAY 1!!! I'm finally back from my bloggin break and I can't wait to follow you through this IVF journey. Sorry to be gone for so long. You have my prayers as always!
-21reena

Kakunaa said...

It's about time!!! Woohoo!