Monday, September 20, 2010

Thankful for the delay

Now that we are doing our IVF cycle a month later than expected, I am actually really thankful for the delay. One reason is that it will give more time for the vitamins DH is taking to hopefully be effective, since a September IVF cycle was cutting it close to the 72 day guideline for new sp.erm production.

The main reason, however, is the timing of a potential due date. I have learned during our trying to conceive journey that, as an infertile, I simply cannot plan my life around any hoped for due dates. I wouldn't postpone a cycle simply to have a different due date (unless there was a serious conflict) because there are so many unknowns that plans just have to be thrown out the window.

If miraculously positive, a September IVF would have given me a late June due date....but late June is when we always go to summer camp with our church's youth group. DH and I have gone for 5 years now, and June 2011 will be the last time we would go since our students will be entering their senior year of high school. I very much want to be there with them, but my reasoning circled back to the "no planning around due dates" rule outlined above, and I decided we should still move forward and simply trust God with the timing if he did bless us with a pregnancy.

But now we are anticipating an October IVF...and IF it's positive and IF it's a singleton...we would have a late July 2011 due date. I know I probably wouldn't be able to go away to camp for the whole week, but I could at least drive out there for a day to see my sweet girls at their last summer camp. These are a lot of if-statements, I know, so only God knows how anything would actually happen. And part of me feels silly for even mapping this out. But I want to be hopeful, and amazingly, thankfully, I am still hopeful.

19 comments:

Betty Rubble said...

Hopeful you should be!

Sarah said...

I am hopeful for you too! Isn't it amazing how God can renew your strength and hope even when you didn't think you had any left??

Rach said...

Hopeful for you too!!

Jess said...

And you should be hopeful! I know that I am for you. I need some inspiration! I pray this IVF cycle goes wonderfully and that God blesses you with baby/ies. :)

Melis.sa said...

Woot!!

AL said...

hopeful for you too :-)

Kakunaa said...

Hope is what gets us through! And we ALL think about those potential due dates...I think it's unavoidable...our IVF was delayed due to circumstances beyond our control, and it ended up being a good thing :) so I remain hopeful for you!

Leah said...

I happen to think July babies are pretty wonderful. :) It's good that you're hopeful! You should be. You will have the family you dreamed of. :)

Hannah said...

I'm hoping for you too! Hugs!

Sarah said...

It's impossible not to look at potential due dates when our TTC journey forces us to look at our monthly calendar... planning doctor appts, blood work, ovulating, etc... I try not to look at the future plans as well, but we've conditioned ourselves to do it, not by choice! Blessings for your future IVF and His perfect date for your little baby to arrive :)

Suzy said...

Hope is all we really have in this whole process (we certainly have no control!!)
I hope you get your little July baby :)

Mummy in Waiting said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :-) I totally agree with you that we really don't get much chance to work around due dates. If only! I haven't even worked out when I would be due if my cycle works! Hope this one is it for you - sending hope in your direction.

ICLW#12

cadnawes said...

All the best of luck xxx

Jen said...

If you feel led to wait another month I'm sure God has a good reason for it. I admire your persistance in limiting the number of embryos you create. We also did that but ended up with none to freeze, I feel that was the right decision even though I really wish we would have more to work with after our first IVF failed. Good luck to you this time around!

Grace said...

i love my youth group girls, too! in fact, my girls just graduated and headed off to college, so i totally understand about wanting see them through...but, how exciting for you, too! hope it will work out well!

happy iclw!

Rachell said...

Hope-full is good!

Happy ICLW! #41

Heather said...

Nothing wrong with a ruby baby!

Best wishes on your IVF cycle.

ICLW

Annie said...

Stopping by for ICLW. I'm glad there could be a silver lining with the delayed IVF. My IVF is delayed also, so here's hoping that good things come to those who wait.

heartincharge said...

I know exactly how you feel. We know better than to plan around due dates. We definitely know not to deliberately pass on any opportunity to conceive. But in reality, of course I mind goes there. If I do IVF next month as planned,I will be due in July - when my husband has a major trip planned and when my best friend is getting married. So I will be devastated by any delay but okay too.