Friday, September 17, 2010

And the wait continues

I went to the RE today and had some blood work done. The nurse said my "estrogen is rising" and my progesterone is low, so they think I will ovulate in a week or so, and should then get my period in about 3 weeks. I'm not really sure how they know it is rising since it's just one measure - what if it is still dropping after my frozen cycle? But I'm guessing it fell within a range of "preparing to ovulate," and my RE did say late ovulation can be a side effect of all the drugs.

I'm a little disappointed that the next cycle is so delayed, but overall relieved to simply know what's going on in my body and not continually anticipating the next cycle. Hopefully I can just sit back and enjoy the next 3 weeks. :)

****

Oh, the irony. At the RE's office this morning I saw a little baby bump on one of the nurse's assistants/ phlebotomists. She is actually one of my favorite people there, and I always hope she is the one who does my blood draw. I didn't congratulate her today - she's at that size that it's 100% obvious to me that she is pregnant, but doesn't feel obvious enough to say anything, you know? I just had to chuckle to myself that it must be incredibly awkward to work at an infertility clinic as a very young and pregnant woman. I put myself in her shoes, and I don't think I would want to be in that position! Not that you can do anything about it if it's your job, but awkward seems like the most applicable word for her next few months at work...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kakunaa said...

I can imagine it must be awkward for her...I wonder if she ever feels guilty??? You know, like pregnant IF'ers do?

Marie said...

She could quit, or ask to be transferred ;)

I worry that I will feel guilty if/when I get pregnant, because I'll think of what my current self would feel, having to deal with me. And I think I would probably try to take myself out of any situations that would make people uncomfortable, but my job is so very in the public that I know it can't be 100% avoided. However, for that girl, making people uncomfortable is going to be the rule, not the exception. I'm sure it's going to be really hard for her, as well as for everyone she deals with in her day-to-day life.

Yeah, in her situation, I really might quit, take extra time off, or ask to be transferred. The emotional difficulty seems overwhelming :-/

Betty Rubble said...

Yes that would be awkward...both for her and the patients.

Enjoy your 3 weeks off!

Rach said...

I went to the dentist the other day and sure enough she was pregnant. Pregnant people every where. She just had to comment she's due in December. It would be tough to go for monitoring appts and work with a nurse that is pregnant!

Good luck the next few weeks!!

Melody said...

Hey friend, just wanted to drop in and say hello. I agree....a bit awkward for prego girl in the office. Love your sense of humor. Still thinking about you lots.

Ashley said...

During my 1st and 2nd IVF I had a nurse that was VERY pregnant...like by the time I left she was going to POP any day. She was super sweet and of course never talked about herself. I didn't mind because obviously it was just her job. But some days it was definitely hard to see her and I would pray I would have a different nurse!

Jess said...

That does seem a little awkward, for both patients and her. Who knows? Maybe she went through infertility too. Everyone's got a story.

andreajennine said...

I had several pregnant U/S techs or nurses at RE's offices through the years. It is a bit funny, but they were all very gracious.

Sarah S said...

Things happen for a reason, I hope that everything is happening for a good reason for you!!!

Wishing you the best for your next IVF!!

Happy ICLW
#100