Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Thoughts on acupucnture

I have had 3 acupuncture sessions, and I do enjoy the experience. I was very happy to find an acupuncturist who specializes in reproductive health, and she is a very sweet woman with whom I feel very comfortable. Her office is cozy (minus the glowing crystal statue thing that reminds me of a lava lamp and seems a little weird...), and the table can be turned on to warm up while you're laying there.

She is focusing on my spotting issues right now and trying to get my hormones balanced. I did have about 3 days where I stopped spotting and had fertile looking CM, which got me really excited that the acupuncture was working! However, the spotting resumed after those three days in full force. I'm still happy for that three day break, and I know acupuncture can take some time. Plus, I'm sure my hormones are really out of whack after an IVF cycle, so it's not fair to test it out in such extreme circumstances.

I have not been good about following her guidelines or taking my herb-pills. I struggle with feeling guilty about this, but I also just don't have it in me to do it, I guess. If I knew drinking room temperature water would truly help me to get pregnant, I would do it....but it just feels so vague and unknown to me that I start doubting it would actually help. The herb-pills are gross, I forget about the moxa stick, and I have had a couple cups of coffee. It's our anniversary this week and I plan on having a glass of wine. Ah, well.

So I'm not the best acupuncture patient.... but hopefully I'm not ruining my chances that it could help?

11 comments:

Jules said...

When we were going through IVF, I basically avoided anything that I thought could make me think "If I hadn't done _____, the cycle would have worked." You know, blaming myself and my actions.

My point is if you don't see a reason for doing something, and you won't feel bad about it later, don't worry about it. Besides, stressing yourself out about each little direction the acupuncturist gives you isn't being a model patient either! ;)

Betty Rubble said...

Enjoy the glass of wine and keep up the good work!

Leah said...

I wasn't the best acupuncture patient either. I bought really expensive herbal tea, some for before ovulation, and some for after. And you know what? I couldn't stomach any of it. It tasted THAT badly. And I can't help it, but I like drinking my water ice cold. . . again, another no no. All you can do is your best, and I do believe in the grand scheme of things, those things won't matter anyway. :)

A said...

My acupuncturist isn't trained in herbs, so luckily I didn't have to go through all of that (the only thing I hear is that they're AWFUL tasting). I have "warmed up" to room temp water (get it? hehe!), but like you say, I'll be floored if that is going to get me pregnant. I actually haven't been back to acu since the morning of the ET- I do enjoy it but I am not convinced it objectively helped anything about my cycle, so I hesitate to justify the weekly cost...

Ernie said...

I am very interested to see how the acupuncture and herbs help your hormones. I have heard it works wonders for some!

Jenny H said...

I'm not the best acu. pt either... by my "Accu Girl" doesn't stress out about it if I miss a week here and there or don't eat the right things. My accu girl says that wine and decaf coffee is a "warm" food and I should have it if I want (she specializes in infert. accu. too). So each "Accu Girl is different. The moxa... my DH says it smells like pot and just laughs when I burn it on the back deck. LOL The things we do for a baby!
I have been going to accu. for 3 months and it has made a big difference in my "striping" or thickness in the ligning of my uterus and also the quality of my eggs. I have never had trouble with spotting, so can't comment there.
You have to do whatever is best for you. What works for me may not work for you. I feel like it "grounds" me and calms me down and draws out the stress of it all. If only for my sanity alone then I am cool with that. But don't let it stress you out, that is the opposite of the purpose of accu.
Studies have shown that it decreases the risk of cyst on the ovaries and increases the potency of the fert. drugs. {shrug} To each his own. I am a big "medical studies" girl because of my RN background, so I like concrete evidence.
Bottom line... don't let it stress you.

Nicole said...

U can follow or not follow advice, but arent you spending money TO GET this advice? seems pretty silly to spend money on it if you arent going to follow directions...

Rach said...

I've had 3 sessions as well and am enjoying it!

gringa78 said...

Have the wine and enjoy!! I never took any herbs...just the acu sessions.

Kelli said...

I wasn't a very good acu patient either...but then again I don't think I had the best acupuncturist either! My table definitely never warmed up!

Happy Anniversary, my dear!

Missy said...

The way I look at it is that no one is perfect. We can't do it all. So I do what I can and try to feel good about doing the little I do rather than guilty that I am not doing it all. And there is no miracle cure anyway. Drinking room temp water may move your chances up 0.01%, but it's not going to be the cure-all we want.