Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Starting stims tonight

My baseline appointment went fine in the sense that everything looks good to go...but I had an incredibly frustrating appointment today.

I have been with my current RE for 3 IUI's and 1 IVF and have nearly ALWAYS been happy with him and his staff, but today he said some things that made me feel like he didn't even look at my chart. As he was doing the ultrasound he said I needed a saline ultrasound, but I reminded him that I had one 3 weeks ago. He then asked if we had discussed having the fibroid removed? Because IVF is such an expensive and big procedure we want everything to be optimal. Nooo....you never said that before. I reminded him that he had said the fibroid was not protruding into the uterine cavity, and that at the saline ultrasound he had said he had no concerns whatsoever with the fibroid. He said he would review that ultrasound but he agrees that it doesn't look like it would interfere with implantation. This doesn't really ease my mind as we start IVF #2. However, he has said TWICE that the fibroid I have is not in the uterine cavity, AND my ob/gyn (who removed the other fibroid) AND my old RE said this one is not a concern. So I'm just trusting all of that and moving forward...

Then the nurse told me I was going to be on 425ius of Follistim (!), and she couldn't tell me why when I asked. She tried to *guess* the RE's reasoning right in front of me - it was so clear she didn't know my case or the answer. I also found out she ordered me a whole bunch of Menopur but I may not use any this cycle. I left the office so frustrated. Anyone else have days like this with their RE?

Anyway, I called the RE directly on the drive home to understand my dosage (I was only on 225 last time and we're only attempting to fertilize *3* eggs here...). The nurse called me back and said she had misunderstood the RE's instructions and I was right to question the high dose. So I'm starting 225ius of Follistim tonight.

Whew. My "one day at a time" motto for this cycle is already being tested! At least I had a lot of opportunities to pray and give these fears and frustrations to God. :)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just recently found your blog. I really respect you for sticking to your guns and letting your moral compass lead the way. That being said. Yes, doctors in general have off days. He and thes staff may have been over booked and not had the appropriate time to review your chart prior to seeing you. I understand being irritated though... this is your baby and life you are dealing with. Good Luck this cycle. Deidre'

Mary said...

Thinking about you, Hillary:)

One Who Understands said...

That is so frustrating! They are the doctors they should know what is going on BEFORE they treat you, or attempt to. I haven't had anything like this happen, but I have had to question my nurse a few times.

I hope your cycle gets better from here on out and that this is THE cycle for you!

Al said...

Wow. i would have been frustrated and annoyed too..especially about them giving you the wrong dose. Shouldn't the nurse have noticed it was off and double checked with the doctor?! I'm glad you got it sorted.

Best of luck this cycle!

Ashley said...

I have had some frustrating days with my RE office as well...mainly just one or two of the nurses' personality clashing with mine. Fingers crossed for you!

AplusB said...

I'm sorry the appointment today was so frustrating! I would have been really upset to think that my RE wasn't reading my chart clearly! Hopefully it was just a little slip on his part and that he'll be more attentive in the days to come. GOOD LUCK my friend! So hopeful for you.

Heather said...

Awwww, Bless yourheart. And YES UI definitely have had days like that with my RE, I switched recently, atnd feel very fortunate that we ahve 2 IVF cliomics in our area. But you MUST be hypervigalant of your care and you did the JUST what you were suppose to do.

I am going to praying for you and really hope you hit gold this time. We will start stimming again real soon!

Blessings, Heather
htt://sweetnessandme.blogspot.com

Rambler said...

Frustrating for sure. You just want someone to be clear on the details and trust that they are telling you/giving you the right information.

But I'm glad you got it straightened out and start the stims tonight. Wow!! I think we'll be just a few cycle days apart.

Rach said...

How frustrating! Hope it's smooth sailing from here. Good luck!

Shanny said...

I'm wishing you all the luck this time around! It will work, I feel it =)

addingtothepack said...

I have been a comment slacker, but I've been reading along and thinking about you as you embark on round 2!

Kelli said...

Sorry you had a rough start with all the wishy-washy-ness from your RE. I've definitely had issues like that where I am telling the nurses what they need to do and what they need to prescribe. Frustrating.

But, nonetheless, you are ON YOUR WAY! And the only thing you need to trust is that God has big plans for you and He already knows what is to come!

xoxo

A said...

I've definitely had those days- but glad it got cleared up in the end! I'm excited for you to start stims!

gringa78 said...

I'm so hopeful for you this cycle!! Thinking of you.

Mrs. Hammer said...

Yikes, I'm glad you advocated for yourself. I know that sometimes docs are human but be on your toes. I'm praying for you for this cycle!

Andrea said...

Push on sweet girl :) Be an advocate for yourself and remind these people "they work for you", as sometimes they forget this valuable piece of information, as things become far too routine for them. That's my soap box for the day....can you tell I have lived this too?

HUGS and praying for you.

stillwaitingformysunshine said...

oh my goodness - i had that happen all the time at my old clinic- so I switched. since you've had such a good experience for so long at this place, let's hope it was just 1 crazy day. hugs

21reena