Thursday, April 8, 2010

RE follow up appointment today

Or, in infertility treatment acronyms, the appropriately titled "WTF appointment." Haha. I actually told DH and a couple friends last night that this is what my internet friends call the appointment, and they thought it was hilarious. So DH said to me this morning as we were driving down, "How do you feel about our WTF (the letters) appointment today?" And then my friend called this afternoon to see how the "WTF" went...both made me laugh out loud!

Anyway, the appointment went really well. The RE pretty much reiterated what he had said to me in the phone call the day after my BFN: he thinks it will happen for us. He said there was nothing in my cycle that he was unhappy about that may have contributed to the BFN....he said it just happens sometimes even when everything looks good on paper. That was definitely reassuring to hear.

The only "new test" he wanted to do was a saline ultrasound to make sure I don't have any fibroids protruding into my uterus and that everything looks good in there. Conveniently it was cycle day 10 so he managed to squeeze me in and get it done today. This was a blessing so I didn't have time to anticipate it, since the last time I had this done it was torture. But today's saline ultrasound was not nearly as bad (although it was still very crampy and I did want to cry briefly), and all was clear in there!! I'm thankful I don't need another surgery or anything like that.

So...we're all set to go once my next cycle starts, which I expect to be in the last week in April. He will probably adjust my medications dosages some, but otherwise we're doing the same protocol. Also, he gave us a $1,200 discount on the cycle! DH & I were both shocked - we didn't ask for anything like that. This is the cost of ICSI at my clinic, and he said that since they often ICSI 10-15 eggs for other patients, he thought they could discount us since we are using ICSI on only 3 eggs. Isn't that amazing?!?

We also talked a lot about the possibility of freezing eggs...but I will have to post more about that later.

I got a little excited again today. :)

24 comments:

Jessica said...

Glad your WTF appointment went so well! That's awesome of your doctor to give you a discount...what a relief for you I'm sure!

Rach said...

Glad things went well. Your next IVF is just right around the corner! Awesome news about the discount.

Mrs. Hoppy said...

I'm so glad it went well. And that your RE has high hopes for you! It will happen for you!

Kelli said...

Awesome! Glad things went so well today! I'm getting excited for you again, too!!

Andrea said...

Stay in the "zone" sweet girl...your going to get that BFP very soon :) Just stay the course.

Congrats on a clear uterus! That's awesome.

AplusB said...

So glad for the great appointment! I'm excited for your second chance at this.

Mellow said...

Sounds like some good news for you! :) Will keep you in my prayers as you go through it all over again.

Ashley said...

Glad your appointment went well and that u r feeling hopeful again! And yay for a discount!

A said...

Wow, that rocks about the discount! So hopeful and prayerful for you!!

Elle said...

Great news!

Leah said...

It sounds like you have found a really wonderful RE! How nice to get a discount! I can tell he's really pulling for you!

And I COMPLETELY agree with him. I also think it will happen for you guys. You have proved that when sperm meets egg, things happen! This is your year Hillary! :-D

Kakunaa said...

That's a fantastic start to the weekend! Awesome news. Keep up the positive.

sara said...

So glad your appointment went so well!! And he is giving you a discount...such a blessing. wow! oh I and I have never heard of the "WTF" appointment. Thanks for a good laugh!!

Nichole said...

That is wonderful news! I am glad you had a good experience with the Dr. and that you are excited for the next cycle.

Oh...BTW...that is amazing of your Dr. to give you the discount! What a very nice gesture!

Hannah said...

so happy that you get to start another cycle and for the discount - amazing!
Hugs!

ventingvagina said...

sounds like your appt went well, and a discount to boot! woohoo! i'm glad you get to start again later this month! i'll be thinking of you.

Amy said...

I never heard of a WTF appt either, but I absolutely love it! I'm so happy you had such a great appointment plus a discount (that is a huge score!).

Melissa G said...

Hill, I'm so glad to hear your appointment went so well. I just love hearing hope in your voice again.

Your RE sounds really terrific. What a generous thing to do.

Hugs.

One Who Understands said...

I guess that is the truth. Sometimes it just doesn't work. So happy they will be giving you a discount. Praying for you friend.

addingtothepack said...

So glad that your WTF went so well -- and that you got the surprise discount on the cycle! Mostly just glad that you are feeling so positive about the next cycle and next steps!

Rambler said...

I'm excited right there with you!! You have a plan ahead of you to look foward to, and you also know what to expect. And awesome you got that discount. I haven't heard of many REs doing that (without being asked even).

gringa78 said...

So glad your WTF went well! The RE said the same thing to us...that it was just bad luck. Fingers crossed for this next cycle!!!!

Faith said...

Glad you are feeling optimistic. =-)

stillwaitingformysunshine said...

omg- what great news! i wanna copy this post and show it to my RE in case this cycle doesn't work out and i have to have my WTF meeting. I'd love to hear more about how they do egg freezing my you, considering all the drama i had to go through ;)