Monday, April 26, 2010

Contagious hope

I have shared many times before just how blessed we are through the support of some friends and family in this challenging season of life. We are so utterly amazed at the tremendous care we have received and humbled by the love we had been shown.

On Thursday of last week we were more amazed, more humbled, and even more thankful than we ever thought possible through the love of some friends.

I received a birthday card from friends with a check for a large amount of money. Although all of this was under the guise of a "birthday card and gift," it was really just an excuse to shower us with love as we walk this infertile road the Lord has set us on.

I read the card before I unfolded the check, and the words of the card alone made me weep beautiful, deep tears. To see how they feel this pain with us, how much they hope for us, and how great their own desire is for us to have a child was profound.

The card ended with this: "We wish this road was easier for you, but we look forward to thanking God with you." As I sat back and cried, I imagined that day of rejoicing with these dear sweet friends and celebrating that God had answered our prayers (collectively) and given us our long awaited child. Oh, what a day that will be! And it will come. One way or another I knew as I read that line that we will celebrate with them, and that the Lord will turn our mourning into dancing.

Our friends' hope for us was contagious to my own heart. What a gift as we start IVF #2.

And the money...wow. DH & I wrote them thank you cards over the weekend, and do you know how difficult it is to communicate just how deeply grateful you are for a gift that exceeds any reasonable expectation of a gift, and that you are in no way deserving of or entitled to? That is exactly how we felt, and we spent some time prayerfully considering if we could even accept the money. Ultimately we have chosen to do so, and are amazed that they are even sharing the financial risk of infertility treatments with us. They are truly living life with us on so many levels.

I hope and pray God is teaching me through the love of others in my life how to really and truly love others who are hurting. Experiencing moments like receiving this card have been a gift that I would never have received had it not been for infertility. I had never experienced the profound ways the family of God can live life together in all its up and downs...until I hurt deeply myself. Thank you, Lord.

14 comments:

Jenny H said...

Thank you for sharing your experience of the wonderful gift. Walking through the journey myself I know the meaning of such a gift. As I was reading your story I am reminded of the ultimate gift we have been given through the life, death and resurrection of Christ. Everlasting life... undeserving... amazed... humbled... so very thankful. I often have to remind myself in the midst of this whirlwind walk through infertility that this world is only temporary. God showed Himself to you guys through this and I am so greatful you shared. Encouraged...

A said...

Wow, that is awesome!! Praying hope spreads fast!! :)

Rach said...

What an amazing post. What a blessing to have such dear sweet friends. I hope you get to rejoice with them soon! Good luck on IVF 2!!

Al said...

what wonderful friends!!

andreajennine said...

I love that, Hillary! One of the great joys of having Brandt has been that collective thankfulness with all of our dear friends who prayed with us for so long. And as you said, that day WILL come for you, one way or another.

Elle said...

What a thoughtful gift, I am glad you have such a wonderful group of friends to help support you through this.

Michelle said...

What am amazing, beautiful gift! You are very blessed to have such a great group of friends!

kdactyl said...

Wow Hillary...what an amazing gift from truly selfless and wonderful people. You are so blessed to have such wonderful people in your life and I am so happy you have that kind of support. It is so needed during this process. Saying many prayers that IVF#2 is the one for you. It was for us so I hold a lot of hope.

kd

Tabitha said...

beautiful!

Betty Rubble said...

What a gift--and I don't just mean the money--I mean the gift of friendship--that is a true friend!

Meg said...

Posts like THIS ONE is why I am thankful to "know" you.

Amber said...

God is good and comes through right when we need him. I hope your little miracle comes sooner than later.

Rambler said...

A touching moment that will bring so many years of happiness.

You are so very lucky to have the support system that you do. And I hope I can be infected with some of your hope.

stillwaitingformysunshine said...

This is beautiful! (sorry to have been MIA) Happy Birthday. Their generous gift is clearly a sign of the generosity and love your show them! So excited for your #2!

21REENA