Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A PIO love story

My first PIO (progesterone in oil) injection was given to me the day of the egg retrieval by one of the nurses -- and while I was still asleep. This was a nice little surprise to know we had one less to do ourselves, considering I have read so many horror stories of the PIO and this would be DH and my first venture into IM injections.

One day past transfer, my ILs came up to spend the weekend with us. This was partly to help distract us from the agonizing wait until the embryo transfer, but mostly to utilize my MIL's nursing skills for the PIO shot. The plan was to have her administer the first one while teaching my DH how to do it, and then he would do it on his own the next night under her supervision.

The evening PIO time arrived, and I assumed my face down on the bed position. I was a little nervous (again, have you read some of the horror stories?), but overall I do not fear needles so I was hanging in there fine. MIL showed DH how to draw out the medicine, change the needle, etc. I had iced the area, and she told DH it helps to hold the skin taut while inserting the needle. Just as she was about to take the plunge, DH interrupted.

With full confidence and assurance he said, "I want to do it. This is my job and I'm just going to learn first hand."

This made me a little nervous - I liked the idea of MIL the nurse giving me the injection more than DH, who had only given me one sub-q injection....and that had freaked him out. But he insisted, and so MIL handed over the syringe.

In one confident, deft movement DH stabbed me with the needle. I felt almost nothing. All nerves went away. Soon it was over, and DH was celebrating like a proud sports star who had just scored the game-winning goal.

As I sat up he looked me in the eyes and said with so much love, "I am so proud of you. You are so brave." And I knew he not only meant this one shot, but for all of this: the IVF shots, the ER, the appointments, the emotions, and our infertility as a whole.

I responded with equal love, "I am so proud of YOU. You did an amazing job with that shot and I feel completely safe with you doing this for the next 10 days....and hopefully 8 weeks beyond."

And then we kissed while MIL looked on happily.

Who would have thought one little PIO injection could stir so much love, admiration, and respect? Perhaps we can't make a baby the "old-fashioned" way, but we are a loving team working together in hopes of bringing our child into the world. I am thankful for the PIO and the role it allows DH to play in this process.

And, for the record, DH has been a PIO pro ever since. :)

24 comments:

Rach said...

Aw, how sweet! Hope every one goes as well as this one!

stillwaitingformysunshine said...

i may need you DH to come and give me the PIO shots since my DH and i are FREAKED OUT!!!!!

I am so happy this is such a positive experience for you and I am inspired by the love you and your DH share!

21reena

Melissa G said...

Awww I got a little teary while reading that. That is SO sweet, I love moments like that.

I'm sorry my commenting has been so lousy lately. Please know I've been checking in on you and continue to pray that you will indeed, have eight more weeks of shots.

Hugs.

Sarah said...

oh my goodness..I'm in tears over here! :) Happy tears for you and your hubby...

Anonymous said...

My nurse actually has me take the shot standing up leaning against something. She said lying down thinned out the butt muscle or something. I'll be curious to read how yours go lying down because its real hard to relax one side of your body when you're standing up. I will say that most of the injections are not that bad. I never iced or did anything. But for some reason, every now and then, there will be some shots that would make me yell. We could never tell what was different.

Missy said...

OMG, I am tearing up just reading this. So sweet

Aussie Girl said...

What a lovely story in such unlikely circumstances. :)

Rambler said...

This is so sweet. Even after all the craziness that has been your life for the last few weeks, you were able to look at each other, and into each other's hearts and be so in love. What a great couple, what a great family.

P.S...I had to write this twice, it ate my last comment!! :)

Heather said...

So sweet....DH and I had a similar moment after the first PIO shot. But it came after an HOUR of me FREAKING OUT about getting an inch and a half needle stuck in my rear. After it was over, I was so proud of him for doing it so well (I hardly felt a thing!) and he was proud of me for finally lying still long enough to get it done!

What a sweet memory you both have. :)

Amber said...

What an adorably cute story! You sound like a great team and will be fantastic parents when the time comes. He sounds like a keeper!

Faith said...

Glad I checked in to read this sweet story. Your strength and faith inspire me Hillary. God bless you both and your little embryos!

Mellow said...

You guys are precious. :) Good for you! Praying!

Leah said...

Precious. :-D This experience definitely can bring a couple together. It really is amazing what IF's go through. There are not many women out there that I know that could endure all the shots and drugs. Way to go Hillary! :-D

Rebekah said...

Well, now you've got me crying! This is so sweet! How great is our God??--turning such a stressful and all-around bad circumstance into a way of growing our marriages! He is good!

Good job to your DH. It's nice to have a confident partner giving you the shots!

Hope Endures said...

I loved this post!! So sweet! We had 12 weeks of PIO shots, and I actually missed them when they were over. Not the shots themselves - I was pretty sore by the end - but the time spent cuddling with my husband afterwards. It was a special bonding experience for us. So glad that you and your DH are able to enjoy each other in the midst of these things! Praying that you will be doing the PIO's for many weeks to come. :)

Melis.sa said...

This made me tear up. You guys are so sweet.

Al said...

So sweet! I hope he'll be giving you those injections for a long while during your first trimester :-).

Jessica Hogan said...

Very sweet! Now I didn't have a hard time with the actual injection it was the day after that I had a hard time even walking. How are you doing the day after?
Jessica

Nichole said...

What a beautiful story!

Basic Girl said...

Awww, this story totally made my heart melt!! You have to love when something as awful as IF can bring you and the hubs even closer together. Super proud of your hubs, and way to go for handling the PIO shot like a pro.

Question, how bad are they...is the afterwards that's bad, the soreness? I keep reading about all these people who get to do suppositories instead, but my Dr. said its PIO for me...ugh!

kdactyl said...

Hillary: My DH is a great PIO administrator as well. He is very proud of his skills and I really trust him. We are sort of the same way. The ice really makes a difference though ...and helps reduce the bruising.

I am praying so hard for you. William (our almost 2 yr old IVF baby) say our prayers together everynight and you are on our list. I know God hears our request.

Hang in there on this 2ww...it is grueling (we are in our 2ww as well after FET a week ago today). I am a wreck and the progesterone is really starting to mess with me...but I know God has a plan for us too.

Hugs,

Kd

Hannah said...

awww, I'm so glad to hear that! My DH and I have also had some really sweet moments in spite of all the tough IF times. So glad God is using this to help our marriages become even stronger. :)
Hugs!

jones said...

very, very touching.

A said...

Tug at my heartstrings, why don't you? That is so awesome and cute and adorable! (For both of you!) Congrats on making it to this point- I have been praying for you that your little ones are here to stay!