Monday, March 8, 2010

Monitoring Appointment #3

I have a so many thoughts - I don't know how accurate they are and they might be all over the place, but thanks for letting me just get them out there.

1. After 6 nights of stims it looks like I will have 2 follicles (size 20 & 19mm). I have 4 smaller ones I think (at 12 & 13mm), but the RE thinks we're looking at retrieving 2.

2. This is ok because we are doing mini-IVF. My impression is that my RE is not thrilled with my response and originally said we were aiming for 3-5 eggs, but he said we weren't trying to get a lot of eggs so he is ok with 2. He thinks the first few the body produces tend to be the best quality anyway.

3. Since we are only fertilizing as many eggs as we would potentially transfer (no freezing), we were going to decide whether to fertilize 2 or 3 in hopes of having 1-2 embryos to transfer. Well, it looks like God is making that decision easy for us and for that I am thankful. It's funny to only want to potentially fertilize 2 and be sad to get 2, I know. But I guess it seems different to make that choice because my body did great and we have a few eggs to choose from, then to realize this is all we have... if that makes sense.

4. I am still freaking out about my body's response and feeling like it was sub-par. I hate that my FSH is 10.9, had dominant follicles, and didn't respond great.

5. I am trying not to freak out about my body's response because we are doing mini-IVF and I can't compare everything to other women's cycles.  So maybe my response isn't that bad. I haven't asked my RE a ton of questions because I just want to let this cycle play out without freaking out about everything (at least in front of him, haha), but this will definitely be interesting to hear his thoughts on afterward. But I have to remember that I may have a different protocol and med dose because we were doing a mini-IVF....so maybe this is ok within that.

6. I am thankful we have made it this far and that it looks like we will, indeed, have 2 eggs to retrieve.

***

Thank you SO MUCH for your support along the way. I am trying to remain positive about our two eggs. I go back tomorrow and Wednesday, and the RE tentatively thinks my ER will be Friday.

Please pray that we do get 2 mature (but not overripe!) eggs at the retrieval and that they would both fertilize and grow. :)

16 comments:

Melissa G said...

I'm so glad things are working out smoothly with this. I know it's seems a little sad that you only ahve two, but really it's better than over stimulating, right?

Can't wait to hear more! Praying for you!

Courtney said...

Just remember, quality over quantity. My first two IVF cycles I produced a ton of eggs and those cycles didn't turn out so well. This 3rd cycle, I only had 10 mature eggs but they were better quality and it actually worked! So, try not to worry too much and know that God is in control and He can work with these two eggs to produce your miracle. Praying for you!

Amber said...

I agree with Courtney! If these are the "strong" two eggs, you could still have a much better success rate than someone producing tons of sub-par eggs. I can't wait to hear how retrieval goes!!!

Rachel said...

Praying for you 2 wonderful follies!

Nichole said...

Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way!

Missy said...

I can understand what you mean about only wanting two, but then getting disappointed when you only get two. If you make a positive choice for something, then it can be a great feeling. If you are forced into it, then it doesn't feel so great. Good luck!

addingtothepack said...

Quality over quantity for sure -- especially for a mini-IVF -- but it's also frustrating to have your body once again miss the boat with fertility stuff. I hope you have 2 (or more) little rock stars retrieved at the end of the week!

Leah said...

What I learned during my experiences with IVF, is the first round is always an expirement. The doctors unfortunately never know how we'll respond, so they always play it safe as to not overstimulate us. It's too bad that the first round is an expiriment because we pay SO much money for it. I know my first IVF, the doctor thought I would be a great responder so he gave me the lowest dose of meds possible, and my body didn't respond. I was devastated.

I pray that you'll never need IVF #2, but if you do, the doctor will be better equipped to change your meds so you have 3-5 eggs.

But, you still have 2 eggs so things could work out perfectly. I'm praying they do. :-D

Betty Rubble said...

I'm thinking that you will have closer to 3-4...but that's the arm chair RE in me :)

The Lord is in charge, and he knows the answer already!

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm very excited that your ER is this week - look at how fast ar far you've come - YAY!!!!

I think your point 5 is SO important - you can't compare anything - let's hope this is all working out PERFECTLY for you!

21reena

Mellow said...

Will be praying that they are the perfect follies, and do what they are supposed to. I was told the same thing about the first ones that take off being the best ones. After 19 retrieved for me, only 2 made it to transfer and none were left for freeze. It only took that one! Only 6 days of stims too! Wow! When do they want you to do your trigger shot?

Shanny said...

Oh Hilary I am praying that those two awesome follies are just the perfect maturity and that it turns out positively!

andreajennine said...

Praying for the right number of eggs, the right number of embryos, and a positive result at the end of it all!

jeanna said...

just wanted to let you know I am praying for your whole cycle...just wanted you to know, one more person is out there routing for you.

Life Happens said...

Praying that those two follies will grow just right!

Mrs. Hammer said...

I'm praying for you. It's actually similar to what we went through the first time (although we weren't doing a mini) so I can totally relate to your emotions. Hang in there.