Saturday, March 6, 2010

Monitoring Appointment #2 :)

Thank you all so much for your prayers and encouragements! The prayers seem to be working - my response looked much better today!

Follie check #2 after 4 days of stims: 1 at 16, 1 at 15, 1 at 13, 1 at 10, 1 at 9, and 6 at 6mm.

They are having me start Ganirelix tonight to let a few of the smaller ones catch up to the big ones. I am dropping my Follistim dose from 225ius to 200ius, and adding 75ius Menopur.

No RE has said this so this could definitely be me over-analyzing everything (and potentially incorrectly - forgive me), but I think my issue is that I get a dominant follicle very early in the cycle. In this case it's 2 dominant follicles, but I wonder if that's why my RE said we may only get 1-2 eggs this cycle? You can see that 2 are quite a bit larger than the rest, and this is a negative thing in an IVF cycle (I think). It's also something that happens to poor responders, which I think I am starting to just accept that I am (almost?) a poor responder. But the Ganirelix drug should help this situation, and I do have at least one more at 13 that I am hoping will catch up. This would give us the three we were praying for!! And not to get greedy, but maybe the 10 and 9 could catch up to? :)

I am so relieved things seem to be going ok. I go back on Monday for follie check #3, and am still praying we get 3 good eggs. I am thanking God that it looks a little more possible today, that I am calm and content, and we have the rest of the weekend to relax.

18 comments:

kdactyl said...

Awesome news Hillary! I just knew you were going to get better results this time. And you do have some correct assumptions about the bigger follie...My RE says that there is an optimum size they look for and bigger is not always better....but because you have a cluster trailing the two large ones...it is almost a better strategy to just let the big ones get big and catch up all the small ones so that your chances of having 3-4 mature are better than just the two. When it comes to fertilization...you will also pretty much never get 100% fert of all eggs...so having 3-4...or even 5 is best because many eggs fertilize (like 80%)...but then after that...some stop dividing. The goal is to have two healthy looking embryos left by day 3 or 5 for transfer. So getting up to 6 eggs retrieved is still safe for you to limit the risk of extra embryos.

I'm very excited for your progress and am praying for you daily.

kd

Mellow said...

Sounds like good things are happening! I pray you continue to do well. :)

Leah said...

Such great news! And I think with the change in meds that your doc is having you do, that the smaller ones could definitely catch up. So exciting. :D

Kaz and Amy said...

Oh I'm praying with you! I hope you get good news Monday! Hang in there

amy[www.theprikazskys.com]

Courtney said...

Those numbers are awesome! I hope your appt on Monday goes really well. Grow follies grow!! :-)

Christa said...

I had one dominant follicle in my cycle and they just let that one get "overrripe" because what they care about is getting the biggest group of follicles to mature at the same time. You might want to focus on all the other follicles except your two dominant ones, which looks like a great number!

Barb said...

I'm so happy your 2nd monitoring appointment went well! You're in my thoughts and prayers cycle buddy!!!

Rebekah said...

That's great! There is definite potential for some more to catch up!

Michele said...

Sounds very similar to the way I responded to drugs! I too was a "poor responder". The Ganirelix does help! Good good luck!!!

Betty Rubble said...

You're doing great! You do move quickly! The cycle we got pregnant we used Ganirelix--and the RE is right, it prevents early ovulation--so don't fret...you're going to get more than one or two. EEK so excited for you!!!

andreajennine said...

I was so glad to see the smiley face in your title in my feedreader! Your response is sounding good. The range of sizes in your follicles sounds totally normal to me. I don't think the 15 and 16mm follies are too dominant. I had a dominant follicle once - it was 30mm when the rest were in the teens, and they just let it grow huge and focused on all the others. I think your 9-16mm range is right on target for this point in your cycle.

Ernie said...

Very exciting that things are going so well! You're in my thoughts this cycle. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

i hope you get your 3 good eggs!!!

21reena

Rambler said...

You're doing great at this point in the game! I'm so glad to see you've got a nice pick of follicles ready, even if they are not the optimal size just yet.

I hope your next monitoring appointment brings you closer to knowing more.

Good stuff! Very happy for you guys.

twondra said...

Glad this check was better! Thinking of you!!

Shanny said...

Glad things are progressing better, I'm praying for you girl!

Hannah said...

Those numbers look great! I'll be praying with you that some of those smaller ones catch up and that you have peace throughout this entire cycle!
Hugs!

Al said...

Awesome news! I hope things continue to go well!