Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hormonal crashes

I got my period yesterday (4-1/2 days after stopping the PIO injections). I was nervous it would be a more "difficult" period, and this has turned out to be true.
 
And, since I am talking about a period, I should add a TMI warning here for any sensitive readers. :)
 
It started the night before the period arrived. I woke up about 2 hours after going to sleep covered in sweat. Completely and literally covered - so gross. I had to get up and change pajamas because they were wet. I have read about people having night sweats on clomid, but this is so bizarre because it was 12 days after my last stim injections, 4 days after my last PIO injection and estrogen patch, and I obviously haven't been on clomid for awhile. I have NEVER had a side effect from any of this until now. I have read that the drugs can stay in your system up to 6 weeks, so I guess I have to attribute it to the crazy IVF drugs.
 
On the day of the period's arrival, I felt my emotions dip, rise, and swirl uncontrollably. This day was just plain sad....sad that I was not pregnant, sad that I may never be pregnant, and sad in that general sort of way that just comes with a sad day. Hormones - ugh.
 
The period itself has been rather heavy. Last night my sleep was interrupted yet again by a full on period accident. No, I am not in Jr. High - I am just having my post-IVF period, thank you very much. So I missed sleep again to change my pajamas and clean up.
 
Good news: I think the worst is over, and I should be able to sleep well tonight.

14 comments:

Elle said...

Oh hun! :(
I wish I could make you a cup of tea and give you a hug.

Life Happens said...

Sorry to hear AF isn't being so nice. I hope things get better.

Rach said...

Oh man, hope she goes away SOON.

addingtothepack said...

Ish. I hope that the worst of it really is over.

Andrea said...

Oh sweet girl, I remember what P in Oil did to me...I thought I was hemmoraging and was so scared. It was so alarming that I called my Dr., but it finally stopped. Hang in there, as your body is going through withdrawal of the drugs and transition. My heart goes out to you. Just hang in there and know that I am lifting you up in prayer.

And....

You WILL BE A MOTHER :)

xoxo

AplusB said...

Oh, sorry for the bad period. I had terrible periods after Clomid. Hope the worst is over and you get a great night's sleep!

Melissa G said...

Oh Hillary, I'm so sorry. As if an IVF bfn wasn't awful enough, but the bad news has to be followed with the period to end all periods...

Insult to injury doesn't even begin to cover it, and I'm so sorry.

Leah said...

Sorry Hillary. I do remember the after IVF period being especially bad. Hope it is much better now.

jeanna said...

After our miscarriage my first period did this to me too, I had to sleep on a towel every night, I too felt like I was in junior high!

Kelli said...

Ick - I've been there and it's not fun! I hope the worst of it is over and you can rest peacefully. I've never met you but I feel like I've known you for years and I KNOW you are going to be a WONDERFUL mother one day. God has big plans for your family!

stillwaitingformysunshine.wordpress.com said...

yikes, waking up for both of those reasons is awful...grrr hormones!!!!! I hope this passes soon! xoxo

amy said...

I have much respect for you. Keep your chin up and stay positive. I can't imagine going through what you have. The Lord will get you through and grant you the desires of your heart!

Blessings!

Amy

Jericho said...

Yeesh! I know the feeling...and the whole, "No I am not in Jr High" thing too. Maybe it helps to know that you're not the only one. Hang in there. :)

Hannah said...

oh so sorry! I understand about having days where you just feel sad.
HUGS!