Monday, March 15, 2010

Embryo transfer - so happy and blessed!

DH & I have just been so, so thankful today. Although there were many bumps along the way that caused some anxiety and fear, this cycle has unfolded almost as perfectly as we could have hoped for. We feel very blessed, and thank you all SO MUCH for you support and encouragement along the way.

Out of the 3 eggs we ICSI'd, one fertilized normally, one was a "maybe" (only 1 pronucleus), and one was abnormal. I was so nervous today that I would get a call that the other two had stopped growing! Our appointment time was at 10:45am, and somehow I decided that if I didn't get a call by 9:45am we probably had at least one embryo still alive....but then I had no idea what the quality would be.

DH & I went out to breakfast before our appointment, and I counted down the minutes to the arbitrary 9:45am deadline. When it came and went I breathed my first sigh of relief.

I breathed my second sigh of relief once we arrived and signed our transfer consent form. After moving me to the transfer room, undressing, and beginning to agonize over my full bladder, we were so happy and relieved to find out that we had one beautiful 8 cell grade A embryo and one 5 cell grade B (the 1pn one). The embryologist seemed to indicate that she didn't think the 5 cell was a strong contender, but the RE said he has seen pregnancies with embryos of that quality. Either way, the sight of our 8 cell embryo brought me to tears (it really was beautiful), and I am hoping the 5 cell could be a fighter who makes it too. :)

After they told us about our embryos, showed us the pictures, and left the room, I cried a little and DH kissed my face over and over. We were both so very happy, and prayed for our two little ones to keep growing. It was a sweet moment that I will treasure always.

The procedure itself went really smoothly, and the nurse afterwards said it was a "perfect transfer." Those words were music to my ears. We could {kind of} see them on the screen as they were transferred, although both DH & I had a hard time figuring where we should be looking and what to look for. But it was still amazing. :)

I found the ET way more unpleasant than the ER simply because of that darn full bladder! It sounds crazy to say I preferred anaesthesia and a needle in the va.ginal wall to something akin to an IUI, but it sure is difficult and uncomfortable to have a full bladder. The nurse had me release some of it at one point because she said it was really full, but even with that I think I laid on that table for an hour and a half for prep time, procedure time, and post transfer time feeling somewhat tortured. They said I had to lay there for 20-25 minutes after the transfer, and I was determined it could not be more than the 20 minute minimum. I had DH watch the time on his phone, and the moment it hit the 20 minute mark made him go find a nurse.

So I now have two embryos that are hopefully snuggling up inside of me!The only bit of sadness (that is so small it is almost not worth mentioning), is that they forgot to give me a picture of my embryos that I had asked for! I forgot to ask as we were leaving, too. I wish I could post a picture to show them off to you. :)

40 comments:

Hope.Faith.Patience said...

Wow! I'm so happy you have made it to your transfer! I'm glad everything went smoothly :-) Saying prayers for your embies!

Adam and Julia said...

I am so happy for you and your 2 embies. Prayers that they both grow into happy, healthy kiddos. Congrats on a blessed day!

sarahs51 said...

So wonderful enjoy your rest....

Melody said...

Sooooo thankful it went so smoothly! That is awesome. I thought about you a lot today. We named our two embryo's "Frick and Frack" ....I know....corny!

A said...

CONGRATS!! I am SO excited for you and SO thankful for your example- you have given me so much hope for our cycle, too!!

Leah said...

Wonderful wonderful news!!! and the best thing is that now you know that you and your husband can create an embryo. I think that's always half the battle. So happy for you!!! Wonderful news Hillary. :-D

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Yay!! Great News!!! Take it easy and get lots of rest!!!

Shanny said...

Aww this is great, I'm sending you tons of positive vibes during your 2ww. This sounds like a succesfull pregnancy in the making!

Grow embies Grow! And stick, stick, stick!

Amber said...

I've been thinking of you all day today!!! So glad to hear that it went well. :)

Dea.nna said...

YEA!!! I am so happy for you! I'm definitely going to keep your embies (and you too) in my prayers. Can't wait for you to announce your good news very soon!

Waiting said...

Praying that those babies snuggle in for a nice 9 month rest!

Sarah said...

Ahhhh! So happy for you both. :) I was tearing up a lil when you said you were crying and dh was kissing your face over and over and that you would treasure the moments always : ) Praying for you!!! Get comfy lil embryos!!

Rach said...

Wow, that is such great news! Praying your 2 embies keep growing.

I recently started a new blog to document our infertility.

http://teseivf.blogspot.com/

Rebekah said...

hoping and praying for you sweetie. Take it easy!

Mellow said...

So happy for you. Now just rest up and take things easy as long as you can. I ate fresh pineapple, I don't know if it really does anything, but, I am just about to pop, so it can't hurt! :) Oh, and the full bladder was the worst thing for me too, they actually did a cath on me so I didn't lay there crying. :) Praying for you!

The Swann's said...

Brings tears to my eyes just reading this!!!!! Wow! God is so good!!!! Two. Two perfect embryos! Your two babies!!! Praying you get some wonderful news in just over a week's time... But until then, don't do anything too demanding like clean house or something. :-)

Jessica said...

That's wonderful news!!! Praying for you!

Melis.sa said...

I'm so glad to hear that things went perfectly!! (besides the full bladder ;))

I am praying for you and the little ones!!!!!

((HUGS))

Jennifer said...

So glad to hear this good news. Get lots of rest. Grow little guys, grow!

gringa78 said...

So, so happy things went so well!! So happy for you!! Grow, little embies, grow!

Morningglory said...

I'm a lurker on your blog mostly. I just have to comment and share your joy for this moment. I just delivered my IVF twins 3 weeks ago, none of the embies they transferred were very good looking but 2 stuck with us and I am now breast feeding one of them and holding her hand.
after my transfer I just thought about gravity and did nothing for 3 straight days. weather It worked or not I don't know, but something was done right :)
I pray everything goes perfectly for you, you and your DH deserve to hold something as perfect as your own children.
You are so blessed :)

Kaz and Amy said...

SO AMAZING! So happy for ya'll! Please keep us posted! I'm still praying but am filled with joy for you! Have a great Tuesday!

Hannah said...

Oh, I'm also so happy for you! An answer to prayer and I'll keep praying! What great news today!

WantWait&Pray said...

Congratulations sweetie...you are pregnant until proven otherwise! Praying for those two little embies and that their home for the next 9 months is inside of you!
PS- feeling those feelings of joy and anticipation and excitement is like nothing felt before. It's how we made it through multiple IVF cycles....because there are no words to explain how "full" you can feel after having 2 little perfect embies transferred back inside of you. Anyway, I feel your joy! Praise God! Oh- does your Dr have you on bedrest for a day or two??

Heather said...

Praying for nice, strong, sticky embryos to grow inside you!

kdactyl said...

I'm so excited about your great transfer. Your faith guided you down this path and it worked out wonderfully.

I totally understand the full bladder ET torture....but so worth it in the end.

Call the clinic and ask them if they can mail you the embryo pictures. I'm sure they will. I have all of mine and they are treasured.

Many hugs and lots of hope and prayers coming your way Hillary. Enjoy your couple days of bedrest and just will those little embies to grow and attach.

kd

jones said...

loved reading about your perfect transfer. snuggle in embryos snuggle in.

Betty Rubble said...

So exciting!!!

wait, what? said...

I'm so excited for you and your DH. Wishing you the very very best.

Mrs. Hammer said...

Great news!!! I'll be praying for more good news to come.

The Mrs. said...

I am so happy for you!! That is such great news! I will keep all of you in my prayers!!

addingtothepack said...

Congratulations! I hope they are making themselves at home!

Courtney said...

So happy for you! Snuggle in little embryos!

Missy said...

Hooray! I am praying for you and your embryos. Good luck!

Ami said...

Hi! I think this is the first comment I've left on your blog, though I read it often....Like you, I went through 4 years of infertility...4 IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, 1 pregnancy which ended in miscarriage, 1 more failed IVF and then lo and behold, on the last attempt, using the only embryos we had left (4) none of which were great quality, I am now the very grateful mother of triplets. I tell you this to remind you that miracles do happen. God's timing was better than mine all along...it sounds like this just might be your time and I want you to know that I will be praying for you and wishing you a perfect new beginning!) Hang in there these next few weeks!

Ami
www.bunchbabies.blogspot.com

sara said...

So glad it went smoothly! What a blessing that you and DH had some sweet moments! God is so good. Praying for some sweet babes to come out of this!!

Christy said...

So excited for you two! Keep praying. God is Good!

stillwaitingformysunshine said...

can you believe this day had actually come?! I am praying for your TWO little embryos snuggling inside you! xoxo
21reena

julie said...

Just wanted to say congratulations on the transfer of a perfect embryo and one with a lot of potential!
I am so happy and excited for you!

Rambler said...

A little late in posting this, but wanted to add my congrats and big smiles. I am so very happy for you four. :)