Thursday, February 18, 2010

On the mend

Four trips to the ER, three rounds of IV antibiotics, two oral antibiotics, two days of bed rest, and one dog bite later....I am happy to report DH's leg is looking much, much better.

It has been a wild week. As many of you pointed out, animal bites can be very serious, but we had no idea! The doctor said there is a high rate of infection for dog bites, and DH fell into that group. Last time I posted (Monday night) we had gone back to the ER for the first round of IV antibiotics, but the next day the redness and swelling continued to spread to the point that he even had a red streak beginning to go up his leg. We went back again for another round of IV antibiotics (Tuesday night), and the doctor said he had to stay home, laying down, and with his leg elevated for the next two days or he would have to be admitted to the hospital. Fortunately all the medications and bed rest have worked wonders and his leg shows almost no signs of infection today. We are very thankful!

We have been joking about what all of this may have done to his sp.erm as we gear up for our IVF cycle. DH even laughed that the red streak was aiming right for his gr.oin! I do wonder what any of these heavy duty antibiotics, the x-ray, and doctor ordered leg soaking baths (I tried to tell DH to not use hot water...) may have done. But I guess since we're doing IVF it doesn't matter quite as much, and I'll just have to trust God with the timing of all of this.

And DH sure did enjoy his baths - he's seriously missed taking a bath these last two years.

21 comments:

Aussie Girl said...

Wow, it sounds like you've been through so much this week. I'm glad your DH is okay.

Kelli said...

How funny - it took a dog bite and 4 trips to the ER to get a relaxing bath!! lol

Glad he is getting better and that you guys are gearing up for this cycle! So exciting!

Meg said...

WHAT a week for you! So glad he's doing better!

Leah said...

So happy your DH is feeling better. What a scary experience!

A said...

GEEZ I can't believe the level of infection/complications!!! I am so glad he is feeling better though!! Will be praying that the antibiotics haven't had a bad effect on DH... praying that you can blaze a + IVF trail for me!! :)

Courtney said...

So glad your husband is doing better! That is so scary.

Life Happens said...

Thank goodness your DH is better! Now you guys can focus on the upcoming cycle!

Andrea said...

My goodness, what an ordeal, but so happy he's better :)

Best of luck with your upcoming cycle!

Jendeis said...

So glad to hear that DH is getting better!

Mellow said...

Wow, sounds crazy! The read line is scary, so glad it's under control! I worried about my DH having had a fever and such right before our IVF cycle. Dr. reminded me that it takes 70-90 days for new sperm to be mature, so no worries now, it will affect him later, but not enough to worry for IVF. :) Good luck to you guys!

Rachel said...

Wow! You all have been throught so much in the last week. I am glad that things are starting to look up!

Heather said...

SO glad DH is feeling better! What a crazy week!

Hannah said...

aww, your poor DH! So glad he's doing better and gets a relaxing bath! :)

Rebekah said...

I'm happy to see he's doing better! I'm glad he was able to enjoy some baths! Poor guys, they give up so much for us ladies! ;)

The Swann's said...

Wow! No wonder you and DH have been heavy on my heart for prayer the last few days! I'm so very glad that he is doing better though! Must have been so scary...

Now you both have time to fully recover and re focus your minds and prayer for the IVF cycle coming up! :-)

Melissa G said...

Wow, what a nightmare! But I'm SO glad to hear DH is feeling better, I know that must have been scary. I've heard a lot about of terrible things about animal bites.

(Sorry I haven't been around much!)

Rambler said...

Oh man, what a terrible reason to finally get to take a bath!

I'm glad to hear he is doing better, but so sorry you had to endure all those IVs and trips to the ER. I've always been afraid of dogs (although I've never been bit) so this kind of makes me shudder even more.

Take care.

Melody said...

So glad to hear he's doing well now! What a bazaar thing. Praying all of that doesn't effect anything with the IVF cycle.

wait, what? said...

Glad to hear DH is on the mend. Who knew dog bites could be so serious?!?!

Jennifer said...

Yikes...how scary! Glad he is doing better.

Baby Wanted said...

Scary...so glad your DH is going to be okay. I hope he enjoyed his bath! The first thing G did when we decided we were going to adopt is go in a hot tub. I wouldn't let him go for almost two years, lol.