Monday, February 15, 2010

Crazy Valentine's Day

Happy belated Valentine's Day! What, if anything, did you do?

My DH and I are pretty low key about it, and just view it as a day to do something a little special and be together. Our plan was to go out to breakfast before church, church, relax in the afternoon, make dinner together, and then see a movie. I was looking forward to our "date day." :)

During the afternoon DH went for a jog. A few blocks from our house he began to run by a girl (18, maybe?) walking her German Shepard on a leash. As he passed the dog, he said he suddenly looked down and the dog was biting his leg!!! He yelled and had to punch the dog to get it off of him! How crazy is that?!?

He went to a random person's house to call me to come pick him up, but when the number came through on my phone as "withheld" I didn't answer. Oops. He called again and I didn't answer. He was a little annoyed at this, but I told him if he would have left a message with the phone number I would have called him back right away. :) The people ended up just giving him a ride home, and he walked in limping with blood all over his leg.

We went to Urgent Care, but it was closed on Sundays, so we had to go to the ER. He had 4 "puncture" wounds on his thigh that were bleeding and swollen, but his leg wasn't torn up or anything. Fortunately the ER was really quiet and we hardly had to wait. They gave him a tetanus shot, cleaned the wound really well, and prescribed antibiotics.

We also had to report the dog. Thankfully DH had thought ahead and got the owner to write down her name, phone number, and address. The owner said this was the first time the dog bit anyone and that he had had all of his shots, so I *think* the dog might just be quarantined for a week or so?

We still managed to do all of our Valentine's plans and had a nice day....with a little bit of craziness added!

18 comments:

kdactyl said...

Oh my Goodness Hillary...so sorry to hear about DH's dog bite. That is really scary. I'm glad he is doing well and that it did not interrupt you fun date day. As for me and Wes...we had a nice family day together....but pretty much everyday around here is Valentines day so we try not to make a big deal out of Hallmark holidays. Today is also our 5 year dating anniversary...so since we know that follows V-day...we always save the fun stuff for that day. Sadly it is also the anniversary of my Granny's death. And last week was my mother's birthday (she has also passed)...so it is always a bittersweet week for me. But...I am so grateful for the doors that have been opened to me (my husband and child) even though others have been closed (my mother and grandmother). God knows what He is doing...so I just remain faithful in his plan and go with it.

I'm excited to hear about your IVF consult today. I am keeping you in my prayers!

karaleen

Leah said...

Crazy! I hope your husband is feeling better. What a freaky experience!

Mellow said...

Yikes! So glad he is okay! Sounds eventful, a day you will never forget. :)

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness! How terrible! That is scary. Sorry your Valentine's Day was spent partly in the ER. That's no fun. We spent our morning at the RE's office having our insemination.

Hope you husband heals quickly!

ABLynch said...

OMG, my husband is a runner and has been bitten and chased by so many "nice" dogs... so now we carry pepper spray. Hope he feels better! Nothing says "I Love You" like a family trip to the ER!

Life Happens said...

I guess that's another way of adding a little excitement to your Valentine's day. I'm glad he's okay. We spent the weekend dining out with friends and Sunday was also Chinese new year so that was fun to be with family.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

ASHELY said...

how horrible. I have been bitten by a shepard before, when I was 8 years old.

DH and I also spend the day in the ER...check my blog later for my post about my wonderful valentines day!

I hope he feels better!

Betty Rubble said...

How crazy!

I'm glad he wasn't hurt more seriously!

Melis.sa said...

oh my!! That's so crazy! Thankfully he's okay but what a way to spend the day

Kelli said...

That's a valentines day story you'll remember for a while! -"remember thank valentines day we spent in the er, babe?" geesh! I'm glad it didn't interfere with your plans! xo

A said...

YIKES! I'm so glad he's okay! What a freak accident :) I'm happy that he got all the owner's info and everything- that is crazy! Glad your weekend wasn't too boring ;-)

Hannah said...

Glad your DH is ok! Wow. And glad you still enjoyed Valentine's Day. I really had fun just celebrating our relationship for the weekend and forgetting all about IF (until my Menopur shot tonight anyway).
:)
iwillbeamom.blogspot.com

Rach said...

So sorry, that sounds horrible.

addingtothepack said...

Yikes - I am glad he is OK!

If the dog is current on shots, the dog will have to be in a rabies quarantine for 10 or 14 days (I forget which) to make sure it doesn't show signs of rabies. A little extra peace of mind for you and DH to have the dog monitored just in case.

The Swann's said...

Wow! Crazyness! Hope it heals quickly though! I'm glad you two were able to spend the rest of the day together as planned though. :-) Even if a trip to the ER was not apart of that plan.

Shanny said...

Wow that is crazy! I'm glad you were able to enjoy V-day as planned but hope that he will be better soon. Thank goodness for antibiotics even if the dog had all of his shots!

AplusB said...

Woah - what an action-packed Valentine's Day. It's really scary that people cannot control their animals. A friend of mine was attacked while running and while she was ok physically, she now has some serious anxiety about running by herself. Hope your hubby gets right back in the saddle and goes running again soon!
PS my security word is "dogligg" - what a strange coincidence!

Anonymous said...

oh my good ness- what a crazy thing to happen!!! sorry i've been m.i.a. for a while...computer probs and a vacation...gonaa catch up on everything now!

21reena