Wednesday, December 16, 2009

So..IUI Cycle #4 has started!

Thank you for advice and encouragement yesterday! You ladies had some great suggestions that I hadn't thought of, and it totally cheered me up to remember that there were ways to work around things and I didn't have to throw in the towel for the next couple months. :)

That said, my appointment this morning went well. I do love my RE - he took time to chat with me and see how I was doing. He also said he thinks we should try one more IUI, and he is always optimistic and realistic at the same time. He is hopeful that it could work, but also maps out the big picture that points to IVF with ICSI if the IUI's don't result in a pregnancy.

I did have two cysts, BUT they checked my E2 levels and, based on those results, they said I could still take the meds and cycle right away. I don't really understand the cysts - how do I have two when I only had one follicle/ egg last month? How can I be "good to go" when they are 14 and 19mm? Why are some cysts problematic while others are ok? I need some time to google these darn things! But I trust my RE that I'm clear to cycle....

I also asked about the Christmas day schedule/ possible IUI. They are open only for IUI's that have to happen that day, but also suggested timing things through the trigger shot so I could come in on the 26th and just do one IUI (assuming I'm ready to trigger on cycle day 10 like I did in the past). I like this idea, so if my body cooperates we may do this.

The med schedule is almost the same as IUI #2: 50mg clomid days 3-7, and 75ius Menopur days 8-9. A number of you suggested asking about an injectible only IUI, but my RE and I are being conservative. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with more than 3 mature follicles. I know this might seem a little silly to be so cautious about high order multiples when I have never ever been pregnant, we have MFI, etc....I mean, what are the chances? But I would not selectively reduce and just don't want to take the chance of putting my babies at risk because there are too many of them in there. But I'm a very cautious person in general. :) Plus, the Menopur provides some benefits of potentially developing multiple follicles (just not too many), and my RE says there are higher success rates than with clomid alone. Whew. There's my two cents for you, sorry that answer got so long!

I also have some thoughts swimming around in my head about IVF - DH and I talked about it some more on Monday. I look forward to sharing with you all where we're at with that, but it will have to be another post.

Lastly, I am SO SORRY that I am terribly behind on commenting. Please know I have been reading (since I can read blogs in reader and post to my blog via email I can do that on my breaks at work!), and I hope to catch up on some commenting soon. xxoo

19 comments:

Courtney said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you can cycle again right away. Good luck to you! As always, I'll be praying for you!

Rambler said...

I think its smart of you to think of the consequences of the all injectibles cycle (plus the meds cost much more than the Clomid).

Glad to see you can jump in right away. Who knows, the whole timing of the IUI to be a day earlier or later may make a difference!! I can totally understand the pain of having to explain a doctor's visit on Christmas!

Rach said...

Yay! So excited you get to move forward.

Amber said...

Sitting out a month is SO difficult so I'm glad you get to continue on! Good luck!

Melis.sa said...

Your RE sounds fantastic! I'm glad you don't have to sit out a cycle too! WOOT!! :)

babygaga said...

Good to hear you won´t have to sit out, maybe you will get a christmas miracle.

entrusted said...

I was so excited for you when I saw your post title in my feedreader, because I knew it meant you didn't have cysts that would prevent cycling again right away! I had one cycle where that happened, too, and it was such a wonderful surprise when I was sure I'd be taking another month off. I think the plan for this cycle sounds good, and I'm hoping it makes for an obviously good 2010.
-andreajennine

Basic Girl said...

Yay for starting the next cycle right away!!! I'll be cycling along with you, literally to the day. Sending good vibes your way, and hopefully some amazing news in the new year!

Shanny said...

I'm very glad to read that you get to try again this cycle, and its so great that your RE took time to talk to you, these talks can make such big difference for us when we have to make decisions. GL!

jones said...

sitting out cycles is no fun. I'm glad that you are able to move forward!! hoping for you. ever. so. much.

One Who Understands said...

So glad you could get right back in for another cycle! Hopefully this will be the best Christmas present ever!

Summer (BisforBrown) said...

wishing and hoping and praying for you.

A said...

I'm so glad you got the green light at your appointment! And I'm glad they are working with you as far as the timing of the IUI. I'll be praying that this IUI is the one that's blessed with baby!!

Nicole said...

I'm SO glad you and your RE got the calendar figured out! Phew! Good luck with this one! And on the all-inj issue- I totally think you should do what you are comfortable with so good for you :)

Andrea said...

Yea! So happy you can star this cycle and praying that it results in a BFP very soon :) What a wonderful Christmas present that would be....

Love and Prayers,
Andrea
www.persuitofourfairytale.blogspot.com

julie said...

Best of luck for IUI#4!! I hope this is THE one!
(-:

Mary said...

Always thinking of you and praying for you:)

Kelli said...

I'm glad everything's a go! Praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you can starat right away and are in good spirits. We are taking a break to prepare for IVF with ICSI - never thought I'd be in this place...hope you won't either and that this Christmas cycle works!!!

21reena

http://stillwaitingformysunshine.wordpress.com/