Sunday, December 27, 2009

Our Christmas IUI

Merry Christmas! I am so thankful to say that in the midst of infertility - and smack in the middle of an IUI cycle - we had a wonderful past few days celebrating the birth of our Savior. I hope you did, too!

On the morning of Christmas Eve I went in for my monitoring appointment. I had 3 follicles (yay!), but only one would be the right size (boo). One was too mature at 28mm, one was too small at 12 mm, but the last was just right at 22mm. I'm thankful for that one nice follicle! I was instructed to trigger at 9:15pm on Christmas Eve, and the IUI was scheduled for the day after Christmas.

I made a delicious butternut squash lasagna for Christmas Eve dinner with my family. After dinner we were watching some TV at about 7pm, and I suddenly felt the very distinct ovulation cramping that I have gotten on all of my medicated cycles. I started to worry that I was ovulating too early, but as I sat there with my family God gave me the perspective I needed. On the one hand I could have been totally wrong about the cramping feeling. On the other hand, if I were correct, what could be done? What would be the point of worrying about something that I could do nothing about?

A couple hours later I snuck into our bedroom to do the trigger shot. I was quite nervous that somebody would barge in on me, so I moved very quickly and thankfully made it through the injection with no mishaps. As I stood up to leave the room, I felt the all too familiar gush that accompanies spotting or my period...and after heading straight to the bathroom I confirmed some serious spotting had occurred. I think it was just a coincidence that it happened at nearly the exact same time as my trigger shot, but it definitely freaked me out a little. Again, by the grace of God, I was able to not panic. And although the spotting has continued since then (2 days now with yesterday supposedly/ hopefully being ovulation day), I have felt a tremendous sense of trust in God. He knew the timing of ovulation and our IUI, and is in control of my spotting.

Our IUI yesterday went very smoothly, and we we almost matched our best ever post wash count (details below). As we waited in the waiting room, I got a text from a friend letting me know she was praying for me. I do feel so lifted up in prayer, and I know that is how I can feel so calm.

I think it also helps that this is our fourth IUI. Despite the fact that the stakes are higher and we may move on to IVF after this, I feel less pressure. The earlier cycles were filled with more anxiety about the what-ifs...but now those have come true to some extent. And I think I personally handle the reality better than the what-ifs.

I started the progesterone this morning, and am hoping this stops the spotting. I do wonder what in the world it could be - ovulation spotting? I have never had that before, and it has continued for 2 days now. Oh well. I asked the RE at our IUI, and he didn't have much to say about it other than he didn't see any fresh blood on my cervix, and that I would have the progesterone support during the luteal phase. I didn't ask about the potential early ovulation - I didn't want to pay for an ultrasound to check. :)

We're still praying for a miracle Christmas baby, but I confess with the possible ovulation timing and spotting I am not very hopeful. I am in planning mode for IVF, and we hope to meet with our pastor next week to discuss it. I have also crunched some numbers and how we will pay for it. Crazy. I hope all of my planning turns out to be unnecessary, however!

****

In case you are interested (and I like having everything here for my records), here were our SA numbers from this cycle:

Pre-wash:
Count: 49 million/ mL (wow!)
Volume: 3m/L
Motility: 17%
Progression: 1-2

Post-wash:
Total motile: 11.2 million
Motility: 39% (but I think this was already factored in to the total motile number)
Progression: 2-4 (we've never had 4 before - that is a great thing!)

23 comments:

AplusB said...

Congrats on the good SA numbers! I hope the progesterone nips that spotting in the bud and you get a positive in a few short weeks!
Merry Christmas!

Mandy Jo said...

Best of luck to you. I hope you get your Christmas baby! That would be great! :)

Rach said...

I'm praying you'll get a late Christmas present!!

Just Us... said...

FABULOUS NUMBERS!

I would imagine that your 28mm bugger could have caused some spotting when that follicle ruptured!

Your 12 could have caught up by ovulation time too! How exciting--TWINS!

Good luck! I hope that the "Three little bears" did the trick for you!!! Or given that its Christmas...the three wisemen!!!

Melis.sa said...

Praying that the 22mm follie becomes a baby :)

Kelli said...

Praying so hard for your Christmas miracle, and so glad you are feeling a peace and comfort knowing that God is in control. I hope the New Year brings you all the blessings you're hoping for!

Courtney said...

Praying for your Christmas miracle!

Lin said...

Congrats on awesome numbers! I am in such awe of your faith and peace. I have been trying very hard, but it seems to come a bit more slowly here! Thanks for the inspiration.

Continuing to pray for your miracle!!

Blessed said...

Fingers crossed for a Christmas made baby :)

Those are great numbers too and your faith will be rewarded! God is good!

A said...

Oh I'm praying God would bless you guys with a pregnancy this cycle!! I'm glad that your Christmas was really nice despite having to do the IUI in the middle of everything. I have heard that ovulation spotting indicates high fertility, so it might not be a bad thing!! Praying for you :)

Leah said...

It makes me so sad that you are having to think about this. . . especially over Christmas. But I'm amazed by your sense of calmness and peace. Your trust in your God is amazing to me.

Thinking about you, and hoping that you will never have to think about IVF.

Tabitha said...

Praying!!

Melissa G said...

I'm so glad to hear you had such a peaceful Christmas, and that despite the cramping and possibly early ovulation; you were able to see the big picture and keep perspective. Not an easy feat. =)

Your numbers sound great, thank you for posting them. I'm definitely interested to hear them.

Crossing everything for your Christmas miracle.

Shanny said...

I'm praying!!!!!

Missy said...

I'm glad you are feeling some peace at this moment. I hope it stays around. You have a good perspective on things.

julie said...

I hope that this ends up being your best Christmas gift ever! Wishing you lots of luck and blessings!

Life Happens said...

Praying that the IUI is a success. You deserve it so much!

Best wishes for a wonderful 2010 filled with many more blessings.

entrusted said...

Praying!
So glad you plan to talk to your pastor about IVF; that was a really helpful step for us. I know we've emailed about IVF stuff before and have similar thoughts about it, so feel free to email if you have any questions or want to talk!
-andreajennine

Al said...

I have everything crossed that this is your cycle! Hoping you get a great surprise to start out the new year!

finding_ac said...

the numbers are def an improvement, and i hope that you dont even have to worry about ivf...that you can just have a baby this time. i do however want to know if you can give me the recipe for that lasagna...i am in desperate need for some new vegetarian meal ideas!!

♥ ac

Andrea said...

Sending you hugs and prayers that you don't have to plan for that IVF just yet :)

Here's to +++ signs in your future!

Rebekah said...

Trust. You've hit the nail on the head. Through all of this, you have to trust and rely on Him. Hoping and praying that 2010 is your year!

I gave you an "award" on my blog. Thanks for the encouragement in my journey!!

Rambler said...

Good luck with this cycle! You've got the right attitude (one I could do a better job of learning from sometimes :) hahah).

Here's to success in 2010!