Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On injections

I'm doing my second Menopur injection tonight, and (I'm guessing) will do my HCG injection late tomorrow. In the spectrum of infertility treatments, my 2 or 3 injections per cycle are nothing compared to what others have done. And, fortunately for me, I really don't mind needles. Never have. I have no anxiety about giving myself an injection, and the process is over before I know it.

But still.

As I stood there last night, aiming the tiny needle at my belly, I hesitated. I wish I didn't have to stab myself right now...I thought. And the anticipation of actually doing it caused my heart to skip a beat. But before I could psych myself out, I jabbed the needle in. And as I slowly pushed in the medication, I felt the burn and wanted the whole thing to be over already. But I forced myself to continue, slowly and steadily, and then withdrew the needle. The look of the needle puncturing my skin was gross.

The things we do for infertility treatments are pretty amazing, huh? I look forward to non-needle days ahead with (hopefully) a baby in my belly!

I have my monitoring appointment tomorrow morning, and I am hoping all looks good with the ovaries.

14 comments:

Courtney said...

Good luck with your appt! Way to go on giving yourself the injections...I was a total chicken and had to make my husband give them to me. :-) Merry Christmas!

Life Happens said...

You're braver than I am. I can not do injections myself.

I hope all goes well with the appt.

Merry Christmas!!

Melissa G said...

I wish we didn't have to go through all this either. But we'll be stronger for it someday.

I hope your u/s goes well tomorrow and I really hope you have a baby in your belly very soon.

Hugs.

Caroline said...

The injections are pretty difficult. Good on you for being so brave about it. x

Rachel said...

It is amazing! Sometimes, we almost torture ourselves.. but it's all for a wonderful cause! I pray that your appt. goes well today!

Kelli said...

That's awesome that you only have 2-3 injections per cycle, I know they're still a pain, though!
Praying for your ovaries!!
xoxo!

Amanda said...

I'm glad I never had to do them (other than HCG), but I know I would have too.

Do you read The Great Big IF? Shelby had a great post where she talks about the injections in a love letter to her baby. It was very touching and I think you would be right with her in those sentiments: http://dochaschronicles.blogspot.com/2009/12/love-letter-to-my-belated-baby.html

Rach said...

Aw man, sounds painful. Glad it's only a few. Good luck tomorrow at the appointment and Merry Christmas!

Al said...

It is amazing all that we go through to get pregnant, but it will be so worth it.

I hope your ovaries look fantastic at your monitoring appointment!

Merry Christmas to you!

Shanny said...

I can so wait until its my turn to start ALL of my 1 million injections and at the same time, I so can't wait to get the whole thing over it. I am so freaked out about needles though, so this should be fun.
Glad you are not as freaked out as me, and that you are almost there with the HCG, wishing you all the luck =)
Happy holidays!!!

Just Us... said...

Good luck sweetie!!!

I have always said...those of us who have experienced infertility and or loss are those who appreciate the gift all the more once we get it!

So no...none of us wants to be there poking our bellies...but when the ultimate gift comes we realize it was worth the hassle!!!

Hugs!

Baby Wanted said...

GL! GL! GL! You are so brave...I hate needles, lol, probably why I moved onto adoption rather than IUIs or IVF.

Melis.sa said...

I hope you had 2 lovely follies ready to go!!

the good eggs said...

Injections are hard, especially when you think about it too much.

I love following your story and hope for the best news to come soon :)