Friday, November 20, 2009

Long day

My cysts are gone!! Well, mostly. I had one small one still, but the RE said we could proceed anyway and that it was of no concern. Good news - IUI #3 is on!

However, I must confess I left the office today unhappy and concerned about the protocol for my cycle. The RE did the ultrasound and spoke in general terms about the cycle, but then I met with a nurse who went over the meds. I was surprised to find out he wants me to start clomid on cycle day 4 (50mg), take that for 5 days, and then take 75ius of Menopur cycle days 9-11. I've heard of the starting days are typically 3 or 5, but 4 doesn't seem too strange. However, for somebody like me who tends to ovulate really early, I started to feel worried that my body would start doing it's thing before the meds and throw off the cycle.

Then she wants to schedule me to come in for my FIRST monitoring appointment on CYCLE DAY 12. Alarm bells went off in my head and I started freaking out.

Here's my history:
  • Without meds, I have been ovulating on cd 10 for the last year.
  • IUI #1: I was on 100mg of clomid cd 3-7, had a 22mm follicle on cd 8 so I was triggered that day.Ovulation, therefore, was cd 10.
  • IUI #2: 50mg of clomid cd 3-7, 75iu's of Menopur cd 7-9. However, I was so nervous about ovulating before my first scheduled monitoring appointment that I begged to go in on cd 9, found out I had 4 potential follicles ranging from 12-16mm, so he had me skip my third/last dose of Menopur (coasted). Went back the next day on cd 10 and triggered that day with 2 mature follicles, and I ovulated on cd 12.

Do you see the pattern?? Do you see how going in on cycle day 12 freaks me out that I could have already ovulated before even getting to the doctor? *sigh*

My other concern is that I had 4 potential follicles on the same dose of meds. He coasted me on the last night so only 2 matured. If I go in on cd 12, I could have 4 mature follicles, and I don't think I would be comfortable doing an IUI with that many.

I couldn't help but wonder if they were conveniently attempting to push my cycle back so I won't come in over Thanksgiving weekend??? My first monitoring appointment is schedule for the Monday after.

I tried to ask the nurse about all of these things, but she just said this is what the doctor wanted and gave no specific answers. Their office was packed this morning, so I figured I would call the RE himself at lunchtime so he could call me back in the afternoon when things were slower.

A nurse ended up returning my call and said the RE had already left for the day - boo. She said starting on cycle day 4 is just fine, and not to worry about ovulating early since the clomid will delay ovulation. *sigh*

After getting out of the RE's at 10:15, I had so much to do..... I had two big projects (one at each of my jobs) that HAD to get done today. We are also trying to refinance our mortgage right now, and the stress of talking to the loan people, gathering papers, and bargaining for that low rate could be an entire (boring) post of its own. It was a looong day.

Needless to say, I am so glad it is Friday. I'm just going to start the clomid on Sunday (cd 4) and then call next week and insist I get an earlier monitoring appointment. Part of me feels guilty for not "trusting" the RE on this, but I just can't shake it the feeling that the timing could be problematic. Worse case, I get an extra u/s to confirm things are moving along nicely, right?

Sorry this post so long and boring - thanks if you made it through! Happy Friday!!

19 comments:

Leslee said...

I totally understand your concerns. The nurse at the RE's office of mine is really testing my patients this cycle. I started clomid today (CD 3). They upped me to 100mg. My problem is...I dont ovulate. ugh. I hope everything works out perfectly with everything. :) Good luck sweetie!

Stuart and Sarah Creamer said...

You do what you feel is best! I mean really...what could it hurt! Ya know!!!

Life Happens said...

I'm glad you are moving on to IUI #3! I certainly hope you get to talk to your RE about your concerns. Trust your instincts and don't be afraid to tell them what YOU think is best for your body. I will be saying lots of prayers for you!

Amanda said...

I'm with you on the trying to get an earlier monitoring appt! You know your body. I guess they just don't know how to adjust for early ovulators.

We refinanced while I was doing treatments and I told my husband that it was 100% his responsibility and to get it done and that I had enough to worry about and couldn't continually ride him about refi and grow good eggs. It took a while, but eventually he took care of it. I tend to do that role in our relationship so it was nice to make him take the responsibility and give myself a little bit of a break (although I was a little worried he might screw it up, but he did a good job). So good luck and pass off the chores so that you can right now.

wait, what? said...

I think your concerns are totally valid. I'm all for following-up with them about it. Good luck to you, hon!

julie said...

Great news about the cysts! I agree about getting in for an early monitoring appt. While RE certainly has a plan in mind, sometimes we just *know* our own bodies. I would continue with OPK's too just to make sure!
Good Luck.

Courtney said...

That's awesome news about your cysts! I hope you're able to get your early monitoring appointment and that everything goes really well with this cycle! Praying for you!

Baby Wanted said...

Great news, so glad to hear about the cysts! I am also as concerned as you and I pray to God that they didn't push your cycle back to make things easier for them for the holidays because like you said, you ovulate so early. Sheesh, I even know that from reading your blogs and I'm not your doctor. Sigh...why do doctors have to be so darn difficult and busy? Especially when we pay them an arm and a leg!

Mary said...

Don't feel guilty for demanding an earlier appt. I'm proud of you for sticking up for yourself. You're right about your body and past history...if they are unwilling to listen then tney are not doing their job.

Clomid over Thanksgiving. Fun fun. Hang in there!

A said...

Hmm. I am surprised they don't wnat to do monitoring until cd12. Mine is letting me do another follistim with the first monitoring on cd10, but I haven't had any super-rapid or super-plentiful response, so they're just keeping me on my same dosage and assuming the response will be similar. (I hope so!)

I think I would at least ask for some bloodwork or something before then. I hope they will work with you on this- I know you were so comfortable with them before and it kills me that they're acting this way!!

PTL that your cysts have resolved, though!! You will remain in my prayers!

Melissa G said...

Woo hoo for no cysts!!!

I would be suspicious about them pushing your back for holiday convenience too... Due to your history I would definitely try to get an earlier monitoring appointment.

Don't feel guilty about not trusting your RE. We're the ones who live and obsess with our cycles. Regardless of their certifications, they don't know our bodies as well as we do. I say go with your gut, and confront your RE about it.

Best wishes with your upcoming cycle!

A baby for Al? said...

I'm so glad the cysts are gone!!

Sounds like a really hectic and stressful Friday, I hope you get to relax and unwind some this weekend. I'm afraid that I'll ovulate on my own on my first IUI as well...I say go ahead and get the early monitoring appointment. They'll catch early ovulation if it happens and if not, you'll be at peace knowing things are going right. And that's definitely worth something :-).

Rambler said...

Hope you are enjoying your weekend regardless and sorry to hear about the second guessing in all this. I'ts great that you can document it all like you did in this blog and then to go over it coherently on Monday with the RE.

Good luck!! I'm right behind you in this IUI jungle. May email you for some questions at some point too. :)

Mrs. Hammer said...

Don't appologize sweetie and you KNOW your body best. I totally agree with you to insist on an earlier appointment. I mean really what is the problem anyway? You're paying for all of this, those Doc's work for you. I'll be keeping you in my prayers for this IUI.

Erica said...

Long time no chat. I've been a terrible blogger, I know. Things have been crazy though with the move and the progression of my pregnancy. I'm currently on bedrest (ugh) and may have pre-eclampsia so the docs think the boys may be here next week. I'll be 34 weeks then which is out of the danger zone but still...they'll be lil' preemies.

Anyway, my point...I think you definitely call next week and demand an earlier appt. Even if you lie and say you feel ovulation pains. Listen to your gut - you know what's best for you and your family. Keeping you in my prayers, Hillary and waiting for you to cross this damned finish line. Hang in there girl. And have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

definitely insist on an earlier US!!! Good luck with the clomid 2nite!

Lin said...

I don't think you should feel bad at all about not "trusting" the RE! Clearly your IUI history indicates an early O. In a perfect world, they should know that and you shouldn't have to remind them! Since you do, they should at least listen to you! Definitely stick to your guns! Thinking of you!!

jones said...

Hillary,

When I was doing an IUI cycle, they scheduled my monitoring to begin around CD12. That was the same cycle that I ovualated on CD9!! I used a monitor and *knew* when I was gearing up to ovulate - I called and asked for an earlier appointment and though they seemed doubtful, the sonogram didn't lie. I would trust yourself and your body and get in there early.

Good Luck!!

gringa78 said...

I think you are absolutely right for insisting on an earlier monitoring appt. It's your money and your body (that you know very well), so I would bug them until you get the attention you deserve.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you this cycle!!! Always hopeful for you.