Monday, October 5, 2009

First shot complete!

Yesterday was the big day: injection #1 of Menopur! Leading up to the injection I was more nervous about mixing the liquid with the powder and setting up the needle correctly than actually doing the injection. DH & I watched a youtube video demonstrating the injection twice, and read through the instructions sheet and did everything step by step. It's funny how things can look relatively simple, but when I'm new to something random doubts and questions come up. Is that a bubble in the liquid? Did I get the right amount? Is the powder dissolved all the way?

But we made it. The syringe was loaded up with the medication, and we were ready to go. DH asked me if I was nervous to inject myself and I said, "Not really. I don't mind needles and this is really little." But even as I said the words I knew my apprehension was growing. I think I didn't really know what to expect - the feel of the needle going through the layers of skin, how much it would burn, how long it would last. So I immediately added, "Actually, I'm getting freaked out. You want to do it?"

DH excitedly agreed. After seeing the video he thought it would actually be really easy, and a unique experience to say the least. So he aimed at my belly, pinched my skin, and told me he would count to 3 and insert the needle. However, as he said it I knew he was trying to trick me and would insert the needle before he got to 3, so just as he went for it I started giggling. My abdomen bounced as I giggled with the needle in there!

It really didn't hurt much. I think the actual feeling of needle through flesh disturbed DH, and when he pulled the needle out I did bleed a little. Poor guy felt so bad then, like he hurt me or something! I don't think he enjoyed the experience as much as he thought he would.

Tonight, I think I'll be ready to do it myself. With DH's moral support, of course. :)

Tomorrow, I'm off to a monitoring appointment with the RE! If this cycle is anything like my last medicated cycle, I could be about ready to trigger!

16 comments:

A said...

I have bloodwork tomorrow, too!! I sure hope that the injectibles are the Lord's way to bring us our little one(s)!!!

Rachel said...

Woo hoo! #1 down! I know, the first one can be quite scary. Glad things went well. Can't wait to hear about your bloodwork.

Angie said...

Glad it went well! It will only get easier from here! My DH did all of my shots at home...I think it made him feel more a part of the process. Good luck tomorrow!

Melis.sa said...

Woot for the 1st one being done! It gets easier :) and second nature..but hopefully this cycle is the one ;)

Mary said...

I am just so thrilled for you. You have come so far in the last year and I can tell that your bfp is just around the corner:) I can't wait, Hillary.

Kelli said...

I was shaking when I mixed my first shot...and super scared to give it to myself! You're such a trooper! :)

Stuart and Sarah Creamer said...

I was so nervous with my first shot...now...after hundreds- I am a pro! They are not so bad!

Betty Rubble said...

Your post brought back memories of my first few cycles...now I just "poke and go"

Good luck to you!!!

Morningglory said...

My first shot was a damn mess! I injected all of the Gonal F into the menopure powder and withdrew all of it and just stared at it like.. this isn't right?! CRAP! Yes I ruined 2 bottles of meds. I could have just screamed!! I finally got it right and After the first couple of shots, You can do it while you watch TV and not blink an eye lol! Hoping for a Great Cycle for you !!!

gringa78 said...

You did it! Don't you kind of feel like you gained a new level of confidence? If you can do this, you can handle most anything as a mom. :) Fingers and toes crossed for you this cycle!!

WantWait&Pray said...

Great job! For all 3 IVF's I have been on Menop.ur and each day get a little nervous about mixing the dilutent with the powder.
Great job though, one down and hopefully just a few more to go! :-)

entrusted said...

Way to go! The shots definitely get easier after the first one.

Aaron was giving me an IM shot the other day, and when he pulled the needle out, blood squirted everywhere. We think he nicked a vein on the way out. I was totally fine, but he was completely freaked out, worried that he had done something awful to me. Sweet (even if unnecessary) concern our husbands have for us, huh?

::andreajennine::

Michelle said...

I've given you a blogging award. Check my blog. :)

A said...

I gave you an award, too!! You are in such award demand! ;-)

Jess said...

Not too bad for your first shot! My hubby would do the same thing, trick me and I would so know like you did, lol!

I'm praying that this cycle is your special one and you end up with a beautiful baby in 9 months!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Lin said...

Glad you got the first behind you! I think I'd need DH to do the first one, too! Hope tonight's shot goes smoothly and tomorrow's monitoring appointment goes pefectly according to plan!