Friday, September 25, 2009

So scary

Today I witnessed something that was incredibly scary. I will start by saying that, as far as I could tell, everyone seemed to be ok and nobody appeared hurt. I don't want you all to get as freaked out as I did! But I will warn you that this was a terrifying moment that involved a baby, so if you're feeling fragile you may not want to read... :(

I was entering a parking garage, and a few feet behind me was a mom with her very young baby (I would guess around 4 months old) and the baby's grandma. Mom was pushing a stroller and grandma was carrying the baby in her arms.

Suddenly, I saw the grandma start to slip, and turned to see her crash face forward on the ground -- HARD. So hard that even had she not been holding a baby I would have been worried about her. But she was holding a baby! The baby in her arms looked like he both hit the concrete and was crushed underneath her, and I honestly thought that the baby could be dead. It was horrifying and my heart felt like it stopped beating for a moment, and a surge of adrenaline rushed through me as I tried to figure out if there was anything I could do to help. I immediately got my phone out and was ready to call 911.

The baby's mom swooped down, grabbed the baby, and as she pulled him to her chest he let out a shriek. And although it was a frantic cry from the babe, I was so very relieved that he was conscious and able to cry. The mom tried to simultaneously comfort him while being pretty hysterical herself. The grandma got up (looked ok) and was so distraught and full of apologies.

They rushed out to find their car, and the mom was practically yelling, "Where's our car? Where did we park?" as she half sobbed and tried to comfort her shrieking baby. I saw them get to their car, and as I reached my own car and could no longer see them I heard the mom's sobs come out full force.

I sat in my car and my hands were shaking. I prayed for that family and that they all really would be ok. That poor mom and grandma. If I thought it was terrifying, they must be in shock over what happened! I called DH because I just had to tell somebody, and as I described what happened I started crying. He prayed for them, too. I just felt like that could have been me or any of us in that situation - it was just a nice little family and a freak accident. Wow.

It's been a few hours now, but I still feel a little out of it and blue. I am praying they took the baby to the hospital to make sure he is ok. Maybe the grandma's arms shielded him more than I could tell -- I hope so.

20 comments:

Life Happens said...

Oh my goodness, that is scary! I'm so glad everyone seemed okay. I hope they got the baby checked out too. I'm sure that was absolutely terrifying for the mother of the baby.

Just a freak accident that could happen to anyone. I pray that they are all okay.

Jess said...

Oh wow, my heart stop beating for a minute while I read that because I forgot that you said the baby was okay or seemed okay. I feel so bad for them and I pray that they got the baby checked and that everything is okay. So sorry you had to see that.

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Morningglory said...

Whoa! I'm not sure I could have stopped myself from running to them and making sure myself that the baby looked ok. a bash to the head like that surely could and maybe did cause some bleeding.
Oh My Goodness... I'm so sorry you witnessed that. I'd be horrified.

Betty Rubble said...

I hope they took Grandma to the hospital too! Wow, that is scary for them both--why did Grandma fall? Did she have a stroke? A heart attack. I can understand mom's worry and I'm sure that she took them for medical attention.

I'm glad you are OK too!

Melody said...

That is scary! I'm glad the baby cried right away...that's always a good sign.

Kelli said...

Wow, that must have been horrible to witness. I'm glad they all seemed to be okay...I just said a prayer for them, too.

Amanda said...

I saw something similar once on our campus. A young woman (probably the mom) had the baby harnessed on her back and on a clear and perfect day with no apparent obstacles in the way was just walking and all of a sudden fell backwards. It was like seeing it in slow-mo. But as she was going down she knew she would fall on the baby and in mid air managed to flip off of her back and landed more on the side/chest. The baby was fine, but it howled for a long time.

It's one of those things that makes you want to bubble wrap your kid and never trust it with anyone, but freak accidents happen no matter who taking care of baby. I'm glad to hear that it appears that everyone was ok.

A said...

Wow, I am so glad it seems like everyone was okay- you are right, at least the baby was crying!! (Never thought you'd say that, huh?) I'll join you in prayer for their health!!

Robin said...

I bet that grandma feels awful. Hopefully she was okay, too. My mom feels terrible if even the slightest thing happens when she is in charge of my daughter.

I hope everyone is okay today. Scary.. :(

ICLW

Tara said...

Things like that scare me terribly. Hope everyone is ok.

AplusB said...

That sounds so frightening...what a traumatic incident to witness. It's a reminder that these freak accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere. Glad everyone seemed to be ok. I'm always amazed at how resilient babies are...I guess they're made that way for a reason.

Courtney said...

Oh my, that is scary! I hope they were all ok.

TreasureHunter said...

That would be so scary to see. I hope everybody ends up being ok.

Amber said...

wow how scary

MK said...

Oh my! Oh that poor little baby! That would've completely freaked me out too. :(

Kristin said...

Oh how scary. I'm glad you and your husband were able to pray for them.

FET Accompli said...

That made me very emotional - that is so scary. I am glad that the baby was crying, thank goodness he was alert and able to do that. I can 100% understand why you were so shaken up.

MEG31 said...

Hi, I just wanted to say hello. I had fibroids removed (abdominal myomectomy in May) and will be doing my first IVF cycle in 10/09. Just thought I'd come in to wave hello!

Anonymous said...

Just found this blog today, and although I don't know you, I too am where you are... waiting on the Lord of the World to reveal His plans, in His times, and praying that a child will fill our arms and heart soon. Very soon. Thank you for all that you've posted; it's so wonderful and encouraging to see other women of faith walking this road, praying through it all that greater things are yet to come, for His glory.

The struggles and times of wondering why it's taking so long, what God's trying to teach me, those are the hardest. Am I not fit to be a mother? Is it not in the plans for me? Why does my heart ache for it, unless this is His desire for my life, too? When the Bible says the (godly) desires of our hearts will be fulfilled, can I believe that in all aspects of my life, or just in all areas other than motherhood? It's a rough road, but absolutely one that draws us ever closer to our Jesus. Which is likely the whole plan all along. :)

Praying for the greater things yet to come to be coming soon for you!!

ventingvagina said...

omg. i could picture this as i was reading along and it hurt my heart to read on. i hope that baby is okay. that poor mother and grandmother. so scary.

sorry you had to witness that.