Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The protocol

I have a protocol. Doesn't that sound so official and exciting!? My appointment went well today, and I am very thankful.

Dr. H is really winning me over. He does the ultrasounds himself! And more importantly, I just felt like he was so present with me. It was a brief appointment, but I felt like I could have asked any questions I wanted. I did forget to ask a few questions I meant to (I get so spacey due to the excitement/ nervousness while I'm there), but he even made a point to stop me before I was leaving to let me know to call the office with any questions.

Everything looked good on the ultrasound, and he said I have lots of nice baby follicles on my ovaries (hmm...does this mean I was really going crazy when I thought I had a lowish antral follicle count? I wouldn't put it past me). He said since I'm "so young," have all those baby follicles, and just had bloodwork in July I didn't need to do baseline labwork.

I was surprised about the meds protocol. I think I was expecting a course of Follistm since that is what I read about the most. However, I will actually be doing 50mg of clomid on cycle days 3-7, and then injections of 75 iu's of Menopur cycle days 7-9 (with more meds to be determined depending on my monitoring appointment).

Dr. H wanted me to come in on cycle day 10 for my first monitoring appointment, but I explained to him that I had had a 22mm follicle on cycle day 8 on my previous clomid cycle, and I was worried about ovulating too early. He seemed really doubtful that that would happen, but said I could come in on cycle day 9. That appeased me. :) Plus, I can't help but wonder if he will be surprised at this whacked out body of mine -- we'll see! And I don't mean that in a pessimistic I-hate-my-body sort of way, just that I know my body. Well, I should clarify: I know my cycles act strange at times -- not that I can predict it...

I then met with a nurse who gave me my protocol, went over when to take what, and gave a very brief little tutorial on how to do the injections. Very brief. I might be freaking out on cycle day 9 when that 1 minute lesson feels nearly forgotten, but it didn't look too difficult and I've seen there are tutorials online as well.

So tomorrow I pop that first clomid pill. I'm thankful I experienced no side effects last time, so taking the clomid sounds like a piece of cake to me.

I am praying for that God would use this doctor and this medication to open my womb! And I of course welcome any of you to join with me in that prayer!

20 comments:

addingtothepack said...

Oooh, a protocol. Fancy. :)
I hope Clomid is as kind to you the 2nd time around.

Leslee said...

Wow sounds like you did some of the same things I did today!! Good luck on your journey...I'll soon be behind you on taking clomid. :)

Melis.sa said...

Good luck!! The first shot is usually the most awkward/time consuming :) I second the above comment and I hope Clo.mid treats you well the second time around. Woot woot for a protocol!!

Betty Rubble said...

OOH a protocol. Very cool.

I was on a very similar protocal our first IUI cycle and made eggies :) So I'm very sure your protocal will work beautifully and in 28 days from now you will be showing us photos of your positive pregnancy test!!!

jones said...

sounds promising. glad that you are warming up to your dr. I've only had one cycle that included a trigger shot and I was given no instructions. fortunately, google and youtube provided a handy instructional video (just in case you need a reminder)

good luck!

AplusB said...

Glad the appointment went well - hope it works this cycle!

A said...

I definitely join you in that prayer!! I'm planning on having a protocol, too, by this weekend!

Kate said...

Joining you in that prayer! I just started a new protocol, too. This is an optimistic time, I think.

entrusted said...

Definitely praying with you! I love your clinic on your behalf. It makes such a difference to find the right one, huh? I used the Clomid + FSH protocol once or twice (my memory is fuzzy).
::andreajennine::

Leah said...

Praying for you Hillary!

Your new doc sounds GREAT! I think it's wonderful that he does the ultrasounds himself. That has always been one of my biggest complaints. . . When the nurse does them. I hate that!

Summer @ B is for Brown said...

i liked getting my ivf protocal! very official and we had a plan!

i am praying for you!

Melissa G said...

Isn't it exciting to have a REAL protocol of your very own? I'm glad to hear everything looked good on you u/s.

I've gotten to the point where I write down all of my questions because I would get so nervous and forget to ask, then want to kick myself on the drive home for forgetting...

And I'm with you in that prayer. I hope we both get our long awaited BFP's this month.

Life Happens said...

Sending lots of prayers your way! Sounds like you have a great doctor.

Mrs. Hammer said...

yeah protocol! And so going to be praying :)

WantWait&Pray said...

yay.....how exciting! Looks like a great protocol to me! Interesting clomid AND Menop.ur?
I am praying this is the perfect "cocktail" of meds for you....

xoxo

babyblizz said...

I'm still searching for a good GYN. Glad that you've found one.

Kelli said...

Sounds like a plan! And you know I'm joining you in that prayer! xoxo

Life is a Bowl of Wedgies said...

I am joining you in prayer for sure! So excited for you.

Lin said...

WooHoo! A protocol...very exciting! :-) Joining the prayer!

gringa78 said...

I'm so glad to hear you're liking your new RE!!! Best of luck this cycle...my fingers are crossed for you!!