Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy fall!

Yesterday marked the first day of fall....a date I actually have noted on my calendar. Like many people, I absolutely LOVE the fall. Since I live in Sou.thern CA, the weather itself doesn't change a whole lot....so I think I try to compensate for that in my home. I love the smells (candles and soap), colors (some seasonal decor), and, most of all, flavors (pumpkin, cinnamon, apples, pears, butternut squash, hot drinks...I could go on). I love to cook in the fall.

So yesterday I kicked off the new season like it was a holiday. I woke up and happily said to DH, "Today's the first day of fall!" All day I looked forward to "celebrating" when I got home from work. The only downside of the day was that it was HOT here (still is). I wish my state could figure out that it's FALL and show some excitement by cooling off!

Evening came and I got home, pulled out my fall bin, and cheerily put on music. DH got home from work with some fall flowers in his hand and greeted me with, "Happy first day of fall!" I giggled and jumped with glee like a school girl!


I decorated and did some cooking to prepare for tonight's dinner. We invited some friends over with their 2 year old daughter to "celebrate fall" with us tonight. My friend loves the little things like I do, so she didn't think I was too weird. :)

We had a fun dinner with great company and lovely flavors melding together. I started with an appetizer of rosemary bread (store bought from Costco) with gooey brie to spread on top, and a glass of chardonnay...

And then a salad of mixed greens tossed with a blush vinaigrette and topped with apple, crumbled goat cheese, and candied pecans (from Trader Joe's....these make any salad heavenly)...

For the main course, I made this Risotto with Butternut Squash, Pancetta, and Jack Cheese (although, I substituted Parmesan cheese) from Cooking Light:

I should have taken a picture of MY risotto, but didn't think of it as I was serving everyone. Plus this picture's prettier, anyway. And I must say, this risotto recipe was easier than others I have made before because it did NOT require constant stirring. This was soooo yummy, and I think the Parmesan was a good switch because the jack cheese would have been too mild. Also, if you are intimidated to cut a butternut squash up, Costco sells a huge bag that's already pre-cubed for a reasonable price (at least they did last fall...).

Lastly, we finished our meal with Nutty Apple Spice Cake with Quick Butterscotch Sauce, also from Cooking Light:
Yum, yum! I used caramel sauce instead of butterscotch and rum extract rather than rum, since that's what I had.

*Sigh* I love the fall. Wouldn't it be lovely to conceive in the fall...? A girl can dream. :)

28 comments:

Betty Rubble said...

LOVELY!

I hear ya on it needs too cool off--its to be 80 in Bedrock today!

A said...

Wow, I am going to have to try some of those recipes!! YUM!!! I am usually a summer girl, but this year I am really looking forward to fall for some reason. (Yes, I'm hoping that it's because I'll also be celebrating the 1st trimester!! Haha! A girl can dream, indeed!) It really cooled off here last week, and yesterday was hot again! I want my cool fall temps back!!!

Jess said...

Your day sounds lovely and your dinner sounds so tasty (especially the salad)! I love candied pecans and will be visiting trader joes ASAP for them! We live south of you in (AZ) and like you I love fall and I have often gotten irritated that the weather does not know it is fall, it is so hot here!

So glad you had a great first day of fall and it would be PERFECT if you conceived in fall!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Kate said...

I love fall, and reading about your day made me so happy. I can't wait to try the recipes. Thanks for providing links!

Jendeis said...

I love fall too. The meal sounds fantastic. Yummy!

Lisa RM said...

OK, you just solved my "what to do for dinner" dilemma. Thanks!

WantWait&Pray said...

Ummm......that sounds delish! What a fabulous day and fabulous way to celebrate a new season! I love that your hubby brought you home fall flowers too...what a gem!

Life Happens said...

I LOVE the fall too! I would have to say it's the happiest time of year for me. Sounds like you had a fabulous first day of fall.

jones said...

I'm more of a summer girl, but that risotto is singing to me. what a lovely evening!

Tabitha said...

I love fall so much too!! I keep telling my freinds that I originally wanted to be pregnant and DELIVER in the fall...but I'll happily settle for getting pregnant in the fall and growing a little pumpkin!!

Courtney said...

All your food sounds yummy! It's been a busy week so I'm looking forward to digging out all my fall decorations this weekend!

Kim said...

sounds like a wonderful evening and i love your positivity!!!!

One Who Understands said...

Sounds so yummy! What a fun idea to celebrate the forst day of fall. Even if it still feels like summer.

Suraita said...

Your fall dinner sounds very impressive!

entrusted said...

I love risotto and I love butternut squash, so I just might have to try that recipe!
::andreajennine::

c by the sea said...

fall is my favorite time of the year too. happy fall! those recipes look delicious, i will have to try them

Kristina said...

I love fall, too!! I love wearing sweatshirts and cuddling under a blanket!

Just found your blog...we've been trying since April '06 so I understand what your going through! Check out my blog.

Lin said...

OMG...both of those recipes look so YUMMY! And, what a wonderful DH you have for bringing you first day of Fall flowers!

Kelli said...

How fun! You've inspired me...I'm pulling out my fall decorations this weekend and I might even make that delicious looking apple cake! Yum!

addingtothepack said...

Happy Fall! I can't wait for the leaves to change and the temps to drop. I love fall...I'm also sick of my summer work clothes and ready to bust out my fall/winter wardrobe.

Mary said...

You are just so darn talented. How cute can you be!

...and I totally don't picture you as a west coast girl:)

Melis.sa said...

All of that food sounds amazing!! I love the fall too, but living in the midwest we get to see the leaves change and all the fall smells like burning leaves...i think it should be a holiday though

sassy said...

YUM. That food looks absolutely delicous!!

Leah said...

That meal looks delicious! And what a great idea to celebrate fall. :-D I live in MN, and am not that thrilled with fall, because our fall can get really cold. But right now it is still inthe 70's, so I'll take it. :-D

Lucy said...

In MD, it was getting cooler, andI wasloving it. This week, it's hot and humid enough to need the a/c again. But I love the fall regardless too. Sounds like a great meal!

ICLW

Melody said...

Oh you totally inspired me to cook again! I've been dreading it since I haven't had to cook anything for the last week (vacation....maybe I'll try one of the dessert!

Indy said...

Love the first day of fall celebration...that was very sweet of your hubby. =)

Keep waiting on the Lord expectanctly. I am waiting with you.

Michelle said...

Ohh I love fall too. So much so that I had a fall wedding at the beach, but my aisle was lined with giant mums and my centerpieces had floating cranberries. I wanted the best of fall & the beach!