Thursday, September 10, 2009

Great news...

....we have a new RE!

We walked into that office today praying we would know whether or not to work with the doctor, and we left with a clear and definite yes! We are so thankful that God has made this clear to us and given us tremendous peace today.

While we sat in the waiting room before our appointment, I told DH I was really relying on his perspective on the new doctor. Just like our first appointment with the old RE, I think I so badly want the answer to be "yes" so that we can move forward with treatments, that I don't feel like a very impartial judge. Plus, DH was the one who had a "bad feeling" at our first appointment with the last RE...so I trusted his input. And even he is excited about our new doctor!

The doctor spent an hour with us: talking through our medical and infertility histories, our IUI cycle, and what out options are while also doing an ultrasound and giving us a tour of their office (we even saw the IVF lab through a window!). That time he spent with us and how diligently he wanted to know about our history spoke volumes to us.

And, really, this appointment went exactly how I had expected our last first RE appointment to go (but didn't). But since I didn't really know what I should expect then, I didn't know that....if that makes sense. But today felt right.

The doctor said the most beautiful words....that we are so young and healthy that he thinks we will get pregnant. Aren't those lovely things to say? He said he thinks an IUI is a very reasonable place to start, but that if we're tired of waiting we could also do IVF for "better odds." We told him we'd like to do at least one more IUI and actually know the pre- and post-wash SA numbers. He wants to put me on injectibles because, in his opinion, they produce better quality eggs and have higher success rates than clomid.

And even though we are still not sure if we would do IVF -- and are hoping we don't need to -- we did bring up our ethical concerns in regards to embryos that are created. We told him what our parameters are, asked if he would be willing to work with us, and I held my breath as I waited for his reaction. However, he immediately said he would work with us...that he wants to assist his patients in conceiving their child in whatever ways they are comfortable. So now at least we know if we do get to that stage, this doctor will be willing to work with us even if we "lower" his success rates or do things differently than most.

Wheee!! I'm still praying for a break cycle miracle this month....but if not, I am excited for October!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you both and that it felt so right!!! Your post was so uplifting. :) Keeping you in my prayers!

Lara (from the Bump)

P.S. I just got back from vacation which is why I've been MIA. :)

'Murgdan' said...

How exciting! Glad you found someone new...and with hope!

Sumer said...

I am so excited that your appointment went well. It sounds like your new RE is great! It is awesome that you have a plan in place! YAY!

addingtothepack said...

That is great news! I am glad you are so at ease with the new RE and especially that he is willing to work with you on IVF if you decide to go that route.

Leah said...

I'm so happy it went well and that you and DH felt good about the decision to go with him. That is my biggest regret in all of this. I never felt comfortable with my Dr. It is really SO important. Your Dr. sounds great! :-D

The Wife said...

That's so exciting that your appt went so well! Yay for new REs! Good luck on your break cycle miracle.

barrenandbelieving said...

What a wonderful blessing. I was praying for you yesterday and am glad everything went smoothly.

jones said...

amazing! someone who listens. seems so simple, yet so hard to find. congratulations!!

Hannah said...

That's awesome that you found a good RE. So happy for you guys! What a blessing it is to find a doctor who takes the time to explain things and is willing to work with you.

Good luck with the IUI cycle!!

Courtney said...

I'm so glad that you like this new RE and can move forward with confidence! Good luck with your upcoming cycle!

Jendeis said...

So happy for you both!

Tabitha said...

Yay! Congrats! =)

Jess said...

I'm so happy for you hon! Congrats on your new doctor and he does sound wonderful! We need to talk sometimes about your ethical concerns with IVF because I have those to. I don't want to be octo mom but I also don't want to discard my babies.

I will be a month behind you...we are doing our first IUI in November (if all goes well with our RE)...here is us both being pregnant for Christmas!! :)

babyparamore.blogspot.com

entrusted said...

Woo hoo! I can say from personal experience that having the right RE can make all the difference.

AplusB said...

I'm so glad you found a great doctor who listens to you!

finding_ac said...

im glad for this...there is nothing worse than listening to someone who isnt on the same plan as you are.

♥ ac

Deanna said...

Awesome! I am so happy for you! Congrats on having some more hope!!!

MRS.B said...

Hooray!!! So glad you found your Dr.! That's what our Dr. said too is that we're young and otherwise healthy and he's gonna help us have a baby! I think that is such a wonderful positive attitude! SO happy for you both!

A baby for Al? said...

Glad you found a new RE that u love!

Sounds like he is very on board with your preferences and he listens to what you say.

Good luck

Melody said...

This is great news!!!! I'm so excited for you guys. What a great feeling to have a Dr. you are comfortable with and respect. It makes ALL the difference!

Kelli said...

Whew!! I was SO hoping things would feel right for you at this new RE! What a blessing!!

MK said...

Great! So happy you found an RE you like! Takes some of the load off, doesn't it? :)

Shanny said...

I'm so glad you found an RE you both feel great about. Good luck!!!!!

Angie said...

New here...but wishing you the best! I'm sure nothing can or will compare to being comfortable and confident in your RE ~ I'm not there, yet :-(

good luck!

Itsavaricowhat said...

The right RE makes a HUGE difference! I hope it all works out beautifully!

Heather said...

This RE sounds really great! I am so happy for you. Sounds like the Lord is opening this door wide open for you. Let Him lead you by peace. Sounds like that is already happening-Praise God!

Nicole said...

So glad you loved your RE! We are in the process of switching REs right now too and I am definitely praying for that comfort and assurance of who to use. The clinic/doctor you work with makes such a big different in your results, and your experience. So hooray for a positive appt! Good luck with the upcoming IUI [or miracle cycle :)- even better!]