Friday, August 14, 2009

Successful

Even though my first IUI cycle did not result in a pregnancy, I do feel like it was a success. I am very thankful for all that we learned about our fertility.

I think our main issue is that DH's sperm have very low motility. We were told that the washing they do prior to an IUI might help this, but it was a huge unknown that could have sent us straight to the "IVF only" camp if it did not prove to be true in our situation. However, I think we confirmed that the sperm washing did, in fact, make DH's sperm move fast! Based on what the NP described, it sounded like they could find and penetrate an egg, which is such wonderful news.

Our other struggle is my low progesterone and spotting issues. You, my dear readers, know all about this as you have to hear about me complain about it cycle after cycle (so sorry). I don't know if it was just the progesterone suppositories, or those combined with the clomid and HCG trigger, but whatever it was did completely eliminate my spotting. I had a nice, long, and spot-free luteal phase. It was glorious!

Knowing these two things, I think this cycle may have been our first "real" cycle trying to conceive. If DH's sperm were never moving and my progesterone was too low to actually support an embryo....then our chances prior to this cycle were almost non-existent. But now! Now we are correcting those two things. Trying to conceive: take two.

I'm praying that God is using all of this to bring us our miracle!

16 comments:

MRS.B said...

So so sorry this wasn't it, but so glad that you're seeing the positive in it!

But now those eggies and spermies are gonna get the hang of it...I'm with ya..trying to conceive: take two...can't wait to see what blessings the future holds for you!

Infertility is Hard said...

That is such a wonderful and positive attitude to have. And you are right, this was probably your first real cycle of TTC. Give it a few more, and I have such high hopes for you and your hubby. :-D

A said...

I am praying He is using all of these experiences, too!!

Betty Rubble said...

You're on your way to parenthood! It will happen with that positive attitude, and faith!

gringa78 said...

Treatment cycle BFNs are especially hard. I think you're taking the right approach by starting with a clean slate...that was your first month TTC, now onto cycle 2!

Courtney said...

Good for you and your positive outlook! I feel the same way about our first IVF cycle. That was really like our "first cycle" trying. These fertility treatments help to put us on the same playing field as "normal couples". All we can do is stay focused and move on to the next cycle. I have no doubt that God has great plans for you, your DH and your miracle!

Eileen said...

What a great attitude to have! I will keep everything crossed for you that this will be your cycle! Good luck!

Missy said...

These may just be small steps, but they are steps in the right direction

Jess said...

I was telling DH the same thing last night! Making a baby takes two and ONE other person...God! Your body is finally responding, you've worked out the issues with DH, so you have pretty much done everything that is in your hands and now you just have to leave it to God! I said those words to G about us.

Good luck...I'm praying that the next cycle brings you a baby!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Kelli said...

One step closer!! Praying for your take 2!!

strongblonde said...

i really tried hard to have that same attitude. ok...so it didn't work, but what did we learn that can help us for next time?

yea for learning stuff and hopefully a great next cycle!!

xoxo

Hope.Faith.Patience said...

I'm sorry you got a BFN. It's good that you are able to look at all the successes and focus on the those. You have a wonderful attitude and i'll be praying you get your miracle soon!!

Rambler said...

I think with every month of treatment you learn so much about your own body and what needs to happen to line up everything for that egg and sperm to meet.

And at least the added bonus is the no spotting after so many years.

I see you have your new RE appt listed in your TTC calendar. Looking foward to hear what he/she has to say.

jones said...

that is exactly how I'm viewing things. very best luck this cycle!!

RachieD said...

Just the kind of positive attitude I am trying to maintain myself. Now you know all this should there should be no stopping you! good luck xx

Lin said...

Very sorry that this wasn't THE cycle! But, it sounds like you got great info that will help the next cycles be it!

I'm so encouraged by your IUI sperm wash results (i.e., increasing motility). We're dealing with low everything, but hoping that we can increase counts enough to do IUI rather than IVF. Will be following your journey!